1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Poll: Server hosts, tickrate settings, client netspeed?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by Scumgrief, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Scumgrief

Scumgrief Lord of Fnord

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Symbolikal

Symbolikal Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Are you starting a new server or something Scum?

3. I_LoveToKill

I_LoveToKill Danish Bastard!

I can only comment about what settings I find optical since my server is collocated (Own the box, pay for rent and bandwidth)

CTF 10 players.

Max Client Rate = 15000
    Tickrate = 35
    OS = Linux

I tried different netspeeds and tick and this was the best balanced setting, nice and smooth without eating a ton of cpu, in some rare instances the higher tick would cause a player to have more pl than usual but those were mainly from UK and I hear they have pretty crappy line quality at some places over there so that may be why, we didn't experiment much with this though, I played some servers that had 50 tickrate and I didn't notice much improvement in smoothness so I think 50 was a waste of resources.

DemorecDriver settings at 25000 netspeed, tick is at 60, nice smooth demos that does not cause seizures because of 25 fps :)

Myself and everyone I play with uses netspeed=15000 AFAIK, tried dynamic netspeed for a while when I played with some u.s friends and it made ping inconsistent, better to have a higher ping that is rocksteady than a ping that is all over the place.

4. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

I'm admin of our clan server and it's located at home of one of my clanmates. Tickrate for both demos and TcpIp is 50 since we've 100Mbit link and we play 1x1 or 2x2 max. Maxclient rate is 15000 and the OS is WinXP Pro Sp1.

Regarding my netspeed - when I play on the high-speed link it's 7000-8000, with dynamic change disabled. When I'm playing from home on dial-up (no broadband ISP around except one very ****ty which I tried once and now I don't want to eal with them at all...) i've 2800 (I'm not playing ONS, which requires 3200 at least), and again with Dynamic netspeed disabled.

As for the "ideal combination" - keep the tickrate at least at 30, or becomes veeery hard to aim from instant-hit weapons.

5. SharKTanK

SharKTanK :zzz:

1) www.godlikehosting.nl - Best server we've had in ages. Awesome staff too (thanks trulli) My personal average ping is probably about 30, but our guys from .nl and .be usually ping as low as 12. Generally, in clan matches it's very rare to see a guy over 50 ping :) payment is around €25 a month. I'm not sure about other companies, we've tried quite a few from jolt to x3m. GLH seems to have been the smoothest so far now.

2)Tick rate for both [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] and [Engine.DemoRecDriver] is set at 40, and MaxClientRate=25000. We're running a private clan server, mostly used for CTF, but the occasional 1v1/DM/BR is played there too.

3) I'm at 10000. I didn't change it manually but I'm thinking of changing, can't speak on behalf of the others who use the server. (I'll try add some more tomorrow)

4) I've no idea. We used to have the tickrate at 50, but it changed to 35, and is now at 40. I personally only see very little difference, but to some it can mean a ping difference of 20 or so. so I'd go with about 35.

Like I said, I'll get some more feedback from the others. GL :):tup:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  6. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

1) I'm with gaming.34sp.com and I rate them as near impeccable. The server performs well and pings are low thanks to optimized routing. They are comparable to Jolt but pricing is more in their favour. Pricing is £32 for a 16-man UT/12-man UT2004 server (server can be switched between two games).

http://gaming.34sp.com/

2) [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    AllowDownloads=True
    ConnectionTimeout=20.0
    InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
    AckTimeout=1.0
    KeepAliveTime=0.2
    MaxClientRate=15000
    MaxInternetClientRate=10000
    SimLatency=0
    RelevantTimeout=5.0
    SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
    ServerTravelPause=4.0
    NetServerMaxTickRate=20
    LanServerMaxTickRate=35
    DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
    DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
    AllowPlayerPortUnreach=False
    LogPortUnreach=False
    MaxConnPerIPPerMinute=5
    LogMaxConnPerIPPerMin=False

[Engine.DemoRecDriver]
    AllowDownloads=True
    DemoSpectatorClass=UnrealGame.DemoRecSpectator
    MaxClientRate=25000
    ConnectionTimeout=15.0
    InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
    AckTimeout=1.0
    KeepAliveTime=1.0
    SimLatency=0
    RelevantTimeout=5.0
    SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
    ServerTravelPause=4.0
    NetServerMaxTickRate=30
    LanServerMaxTickRate=30

Private clan server.

3) Client is set to ADSL/Cable and changes dynamically. I've left it that way because my current ISP is rubbish (Versatel.be). Ideal netspeed is said to be 5500 for 1024x768@~75Hz. My connection is a 512K/256K which is trying hard sometimes to pretend it's 56K :p .

4) The ideal combination would be a client running at about 8000-9000 netspeed on a good connection and a server allowing a maximum of 10000. Tickrate should be at 30 maximum for a Linux server. A higher tick rate will just eat up cpu cycles and make it easier to hit players.

7. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

This is a common misconception. Increasing tick rate will affect F1 ping readings but this not improve the response time of a server for a client at all. All it does is make the server pump out more "snapshots" of what's happening in a map, at the risk of saturating slower connections.

8. waXed

waXed New Member

From what I understand if your demorec setting is at 60 the server will run at the same once demorec starts. Could be wrong though :/

9. Raffi_B

Raffi_B Administrator

VipersServers is by far the best. Not because they host BU's FragBU server, but simply because you get the most for the least. A 10-player private server is only $20 a month, and we're talking about top-of-the-line hardware here... dual 64-bit Opterons, more than enough RAM (like 4 GB), and massive bandwidth capacity (multiple OC3 connectivity with direct links to major backbones along with emergency backup lines).

You also get auto-restart scripts, full 24/7 tech support via a 1-800 number (no waiting... you talk to Viper himself), full FTP/webadmin access, a free private redirect server. VipersServers owns servers on reliable and fast datacenters in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

VipersServers houses the gameservers for several of the most competitive clans. In the Assault scene, several of the top clans all use VipersServers gameservers, including EH, EiF, KiA, and DHL. Here is a list of all of their satisfied customers.

The best AS pub, Dallas is a Dry Lobster, is hosted on a monster machine in Dallas and provides awesome pings to people all over the US (a few of my clanmates in Wisconsin ping 50 to it).

Viper, the guy behind all this, has been doing this gig for years and he definitely has the drill down. He's an extremely knowledgable individual when it comes to this sort of thing, and if you ever have any sort of problem with anything, he will immediately take care of it personally. He knows that quality is the most important thing in a business. He doesn't overbook servers in the least bit, and is continuously putting new boxes together to provide extra capacity.

I highly, highly, highly recommend VipersServers.

It may seem like I'm just saying all of this because I'm obligated to, but that's not the case. I'm saying it because I'm a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due, and in all honesty this guy is one of the best businessmen I've ever come into contact with.

As for the settings, Tickrate at 25 and MaxClientRate at 10000 are really the best settings from experience. Going any higher will just use more resources without making the gameplay all that much smoother. I would highly recommend using those settings.

10. waXed

waXed New Member

I'll second Raffi's well said recommendation. We've been using one of Viper's out of Chicago with very few, if any problems. Awesome value!

Edit:
    Tickrate - 35 (All I know, ask cro for more details if your interested Scum)