1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Please tell me none of you bought into that "Nostradamus" quote.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Boom, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Boom

Boom Rumpshaking Moderator

:rolleyes:

A) You can take any of the vague, cryptic "prophecies" that Nostradamus made and interpret them to mean almost anything.

B) He wrote thousands and thousands of them. As vague and as cryptic as they are, only a few have been shoehorned into real events. If a 1000 monkeys tap at keyboards for 1000 years, one of them will come up Shakespeare. If a guy who is good at writing vague crypic stuff writes thousand of vague cryptic things, a few of them will "come true."

C) This is the best part. Nostradamus never wrote that "Two brothers" prophecy. The text originated on a Web page entitled "A Critical Analysis of Nostradamus," written several years ago by a student named Neil Marshall. Marshall made up the quatrain to demonstrate — quite ironically, in light of how it is now being misused — that the writings of Nostradamus are cryptic enough to be interpreted to mean almost anything.

I love the irony of this. Some Canadian student is making a point about how these ridiculous vague prophecies could mean anything. He writes a ridiculous prophecy about "two brothers" to use as an example in his essay. Now his prophecy is being mistaken as a real Nostradamus quote and people are using it to prove that Nostradamus was right!!!

LOL!!

gg gullibility

I'm just glad that none of our admins were naive enough to believe the Nostradamus nonsense strongly enough to post this Canadian student's fake prophecy on PU's front page as actual news. :hmm:

Oh, here are a couple of links with the full story on this hoax.
    http://www.urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa091101b.htm
    http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/hoaxes/predict.htm#brothers

2. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

People always feel like "overreacting"... :/ Nostradamus has been "right" about some things.. but that doesn't mean he's right about everything..

3. _Zd_JOLT1r_

_Zd_JOLT1r_ Help needed

Exactly, and SimplyCosmic made a good point a few threads ago :

4. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

hmmm, well, he was right about Kennedy, that is pretty damn creepy you know, but still WW3? Over some terrorits??? ya right!

5. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

LOL! Nice links

Lots of people here fell for it. There were over half a dozen threads here, and some people even put it in their sigs.

Btw, the monkey experiment needs an infinite ammount of monkeys

6. Morety

Morety The Farterator

lmao

I locked up a couple of Nostra threads with a link to the page saying it was all bullsh!t.

You forgot to mention that it quoted him in 1654, but he died in 1555...or something very close to that.

7. Wolf Blackstar

Wolf Blackstar That other Wing Commander guy

LOL Boom. I always knew that the works of Nostradamus were numerous enough that piecing something together that might sound slick was too easy. I've told my fellow students repeatedly that the Two Brothers prophecy was far too generic to be anywhere near the point. And now, the final stake is driven through the heart of this BS argument. :D

]LoL[Wolfram

[​IMG]

8. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

It was even on the 6 oclock news.

WE TOLD YOU ALL IT WAS BULLSHIT BUT WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING DO WE?

We TOLD you he didn't say it..........

We TOLD you he died in 1566.......... He had predicted his death to be 1567 but he didn't even get that right.

I am laughing at everyone who just couldn't stop believing. Interpret THAT however you want, it's the truth.

:lol::lol::lol:

9. SimplyCosmic

SimplyCosmic ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.

Sorry, but the particular Nostradamus quotation that "predicted" that event was also claimed to have predicted the death of Richard the Lionhearted, several other kings, and even Kurt Cobain.

In fact, roughly every decade, there's another person that fits the description in his rather vague prose, so it's rather pointless.

If there's anyone out there who still really believes in his nonsense, then instead of using hindsight to fit past events into his "predictions", use his total works to predict something that will happen in the next ten years. And not something vague, we want a hard prediction.

:rolleyes:

10. Syri

Syri Who are you calling short?

well, why would nostradamus predict the events in NYC, when he predicted the world would have ended by now?

11. Stryker8

Stryker8 New Member

yeah, when you think about it, it is pretty stupid :rolleyes:
    i guess we all fell for it at the time of crisis

12. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

I didn't fall for that Nostradamus nonsense ;)

13. DeeperShade

DeeperShade Banned

Oh please, many of the people who have posted in here were the ones passing around the quote. Its only when someone of booms, morety's, and sc's stature comes along and tells you its bullcrud do you follow like sheep.

Nostra was a drunk and an addict. He was so off his face that im surprised he could write in the first place. The have even been accounts of him, howling in the night, for no apparent reason.

I wouldnt trust nostra to predict anything...

14. Stryker8

Stryker8 New Member

agreed i posted it, but i never ever said i believed it or nothing, i just though it was so creepy i had to post it, but as many have said be4 me the guy was a total whack, and his predictions can be interrpreted in many, many ways

15. [DoA][56K][Lee J]

[DoA][56K][Lee J] New Member

Cant resist this, cuz so many people use it as an argument, he did nt say "the world will end", he said "the world will end as we know it" ie Change, but i cant see see how his predictions can be accurate, many of his visions are pretty horrific and i dont wanna see them happen, take a look at this

http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/nostradamus/part6.html

16. Deathmaker

Deathmaker Balanced

It's all down to dubious translation and then even more dubious interpretation. I think that if you’re the type to lend any credence to horoscopes then you’ll have a field day with Nostradamus’ quatrains. :con:

17. NiftyBoy

NiftyBoy Dandified

it seems that the more vague horoscopes are, the more 'accurate' they also are.

of course the ones around here try to be specific and *never* get it right. mine keeps mentioning finance and romance. i stay inside. i watch tv. i play unreal.

:p

18. Morety

Morety The Farterator

Nostradomus kinds sounds like Nostril-domus

19. fart2000

fart2000 did i do that?

Nostradamus predicted this...

I read that Nostradummy predicted there would one day be a kick-ass multiplayer online FPS game with the initials UT. It could be a coincidence, but i think he was talking about Unreal

BTW, i predict that some major event will happen in the next ten years, that may or may not effect YOU:p

20. NiftyBoy

NiftyBoy Dandified

and doesnt nostradamus mean "our lady"?

the plot thickens