Please send emails or Petitions to Atari

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
If you enjoy XMP and respected LE's contribution, please sign this petition created by girl_1.

In addition, we ask the community to send emails to matt.frary@atari.com, expressing your support for XMP and LE. Please do not flame! Ensure your comments are professional and courteous. Include stats showing the popularity and growth of XMP...this is something server admins could provide.

Do not spam his email, but send updated information or additional comments of support. I highly recommend the members of this forum visit other forums and make the same request. Please make sure everybody knows that the emails must be professional and without flames. If they receive any flames, they'll discard them and it won't help our cause.

We want to make sure Atari continues support for XMP and possibly reinstate LE. Keep the emails short, but detailed.

Thank you.

Anathema-

...because we're NOT free
Oct 19, 2003
Here's what I wrote.

Greetings. I am an avid XMP player, and to be honest I think it's one of the greatest games I've ever had the distinct pleasure of both beta testing and playing live. Legend Entertainment, during the testing phase and after, has stuck out in my mind as one of the best development houses I've ever seen for the simple fact they have a solid vision of their game, but aren't so arrogant as to not take advice from their testers. They are also blessed with the ability to discriminate the good suggestions from the bad, something I've seen some dev houses crumble under the pressure of all the bitching from their player base.

That being said, I ask .. no, beg .. that you DO NOT update XMP a single patch version if it is not done by the (former) Legend staff themselves. This game has been Legend's from start to (untimely) finish, and for anyone else to come in and change the game would be bastardizing it for the worse. Too much will change and in the wrong directions, forcing veterans from the game and discouraging new players because of the declining playerbase. XMP is quite playable in its current version and if it never changes it will remain one of the best games ever; however, there are some things that could use changing and some bugs remain but I would not trust anyone but the Legend staff to make those changes (yes, including bug fixes).

You've got a good thing here, in XMP. It needs a push .. a big one. I guarantee it will not put a dent in UT2k4's numbers, because a fan of XMP will most likely already be a fan of the unreal series (at this point, having lacked a significant push from Atari). This is not to mention that UT2k4's playstyle will be radically different from XMP's. Just like online chess does not draw players away from online hearts, they're two totally different games and a person might feel like playing one one day, and the other the next. Choices of good games and great play styles is what will catapult the unreal series back to the status it once held .. not totally cutting off the development of one of your brands (for any reason).

In closing, it is of course Atari's decision what to do with the matter. I just hope I have made you sit and think about where XMP should go from here. You have a hit on your hand, you just need to get people to try. The first place to start would be a demo update and official servers for both live and demo. SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR THE GAME AND IT WILL GROW. Just please don't butcher it with updates .. I couldn't stand seeing one of my favorite games of all time going down the tubes.

Thank you for your time.

And for those of you on the beta forums .. yes I am an attention whore. :)

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
very well put, one of our clan leaders is an www.iglnet.com ladder admin, I will ask him to get IGL leaders in on this as an IGL issue when I see him next.

Doc8376

Sep 23, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
signed by me and Dlight, i'm mailing this to every gamer i know. What atari did was not by any means a first, but it is teh worst timing yet. even if they gave them another month to finish patching and to get the last of the bugs...

now we can only hope for the best and pray atari can see their mistake in time.

Doc

Bloodsplat

I'm still here?
Jan 21, 2004
Signed. Rathered pissed off at it all but that's the system for you. I've noticed there is another player in xmp called Evilpope as well. I orginaly played it without the colors, the other guy is using a blue Evil and a red pope. But now I'm using bloodsplat, so if I suck, flame me on the forums with due hatered at my lacking ablities.

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
"reinstate LE" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry Proph, but if you truly believe that Atari will undo dissolving a complete gamestudio just because of a stupid internet petition then I'm really sorry, but corporate world has their own reasons for dissolving LE. Atari has never given a f*ck about us players, and they will continue to do so. They will not reinstate LE because of some list on petitiononline. What do you think they'll say? "Oh, we're sorry, actually we didn't mean to disband the team, just...uh....temporarily...yeah....temporarily". Sorry, but as much as I wish the ex-Legend staff a better new employer I do not believe in a possible effect of this petition.

Sorry if you don't like it, but what's been done has been done...shame for LE (great team), but Atari won't change it because of a list of emails.

Anathema-

...because we're NOT free
Oct 19, 2003
To note .. they don't have to completely reinstate LE in order to get them to patch it. Independant contractors and all that rot :) .. They would be able to save face (not that they have much left anyway), and we would get what we want.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Loi, if the community demands LE being there. If Atari sees the support the community provides LE then Atari will do something, the last thing Atari wants is an unhappy community that may boycott them some how.

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
I haven't seen Atari care about an "unhappy community" before, so I'll believe it when I see it :p

Really, I'd love nothing more than LE being reinstated, but it's not gonna happen, no matter how many votes on that petition. LE got closed down for business reasons which will not change if LE gets support now. It's over, out, done...sorry.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Loibisch said:
I haven't seen Atari care about an "unhappy community" before, so I'll believe it when I see it :p

Really, I'd love nothing more than LE being reinstated, but it's not gonna happen, no matter how many votes on that petition. LE got closed down for business reasons which will not change if LE gets support now. It's over, out, done...sorry.

Oh, so that excludes the notion of this petition getting noticed by another publisher and the possibility of this same publisher buying the rights of XMP off Atari.

People who do not protest against something that they feel is wrong are "spineless" IMO and the perfect milking cows for today's consumerist society. I'm sorry to see yet another person who is convinced that all action is pointless and is hopelessly resigned to a fate chosen by others.

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
I do not believe in "fate chosen by others", but seriously do YOU believe in the effect of an online petition? That'd be about the first time ever. There are petitions from sending out expeditions to bring back Elvis to instate Osama Bin Laden as president of the United States (both I just made up, I'm not going to dig through that useless crap :D).
Noone I know cares about petitiononline. Sending mails, now that *could* work, but wouldn't get the word out to another publisher now would it?
I don't think Atari would sell the rights to XMP as they want UT2004 to be a hit and they can't afford to have an opponent having a similar game based on the same engine. But all this is speculation of course.

I protest against enough things, I'm the last to go with the flow. But I do recognize futile effort if I see it. And trying to get Atari to reinstate LE is futile.
Maybe they will support it in some obscure way, which I don't think they will, but they will not reinstate LE, which was my whole point to start with.

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
singned the petition, was a terrible mistake from atari to get rid of such talent :mad:
atari :sniper: in xmp style

Status
Not open for further replies.