PLEASE !! NO white-, and blacklisting anymore

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

utw-Mephisto

Guilty
Nov 20, 2004
Gibraltar
I really hope that with UT2k7 there will be only one Masterbrowser, which is not down all the time, and brings up every server, regardless mutator / mod etc.

Sure, sorted by gametypes, but just because UDamaga Reward is activated should not take a server from the whitelist ..

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The purpose is that you're aware of a mod/mutator's existence so you know if it is worth downloading ...

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Basing an opinion about a mod around the number of servers it has is pretty shallow and just plain innaccurate. That's almost the same as saying w00tabulous and barnburner are a couple of the best custom 2k4 maps.
Epic started minimizing network transfers on UT w/ server redirects and continued w/ 2k3 by minimizing mandatory packages. Why would they consider grinding a server query to a halt? Less is more.
It's been a few years but I bet if I fired up HL again it'll still take over 10min to produce a complete unfiltered list, disregarding the time it'll take to ping each one.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I think he just means normal little mutators, he even sighted Udamage Reward.

Making the check box on by default might be a bad thing, but the problem is there are so many mutators out there, that do little stupid crap, that un-filtered, you may never connect to the "same game" twice. That is no fun for people, having to learn each modified thing over again.

The problem is all the little things people wanna change. Most of the mutators are small, and simply change aspects of the game that they don't like, like weapon traits, and similar stuff.

Hopefully, 2k7 will simply be a more "solid" game that people don't feel the need to mutate the crap out of it, and we can only worry about stumbling on quality mods and mutators.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
It's UT ... people will mutate the crap out of it because that's what the game was meant for from the very beginning. If you really want a 'standard' game then you ought to find yourself one that doesn't have the equivalent of the mutator-concept ...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
All that whitelisting does (there is no such thing as blacklisting) is make servers with certain mutators that do not change gameplay show up when Standard Servers Only is checked. There are more options in the Filters menu, and if you know the package name of the mutator you can filter out whatever mutators you want in your INI. I did this for all the Inst-, Zark-, Poop-, Gib- stuff that I could find, and my server browser is sitting happy at about 500 servers for all gametypes.

IMO this is fine. As for mods, afaik they have a tag that checks if you need to ping that server or not, and if you don't have the mod that server is not listed. The way the master server works (or at least how it used to) is that you parse a comma-delimited text file.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
It'd be nice if filtering and/or searching of servers didn't have to rely on people having to know the exact packagename. And on top of that I'd wish some form of version-control was enforced for mutators as well.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I agree. I also wish that if you saw a mutator in the server browser you wanted to filter you could just click on it and click "Add to Filter".