Please help...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-=DARCHANGEL=-

Burning in Hell and loving it!
I have just done a re-build and map test of JB-Astaroth (old 80s ST and Amiga game - music included) and I have lost all sound (ambient too) and bots are spawning around locks and the game level is now just telling me game is constantly tied.... One of many probs.

Sound is ok for other Apps.

+ Locks no longer trigger jail movers and I am getting strange 'flicker' effects on static meshes after 'zoning'

+ Staticmeshes have now become walkthrough not solid - i.e cannons.

+ All weapons pick-ups can no longer be picked up.

I have spent 4 weeks @ 7-ish hours a day on this - do I start again? :(

I am so fed up....

Last edited:

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
What was the last change or changes you made to the map since it last worked properly?

Also it's a very good idea to save copies of your map (JB-Astaroth001,002,003, or whatever numbering system appeals to you), that way if something really bad happens you can revert to the last saved copy and only lose a small part of the work you've done. I started doing this after I lost a couple of maps in a row to odd errors such as you're experiencing.

-=DARCHANGEL=-

Birelli said:
What was the last change or changes you made to the map since it last worked properly?

I added a new light (red) above the release lock for the red team then I re-built map (lighting, geometries etc) and test played.

Birelli said:
Also it's a very good idea to save copies of your map (JB-Astaroth001,002,003, or whatever numbering system appeals to you), that way if something really bad happens you can revert to the last saved copy and only lose a small part of the work you've done. I started doing this after I lost a couple of maps in a row to odd errors such as you're experiencing.

I made a batch file (.BAT) to copy 2 files from 'U:\MyMaps\' to 'U:\MyMaps\BackUps\' with extensions .bk1 and bk2. I run it before every re-build and test. Neither of the 2 back-ups run correctly either. Must be my screw up - I think I need a rest for a while ;)

-=DARCHANGEL=-

Birelli said:
Mind sending me a zip of the newest map file? I can take a look at it, sometimes a second pair of eyes helps :)

Done in 7z format - please don't laugh it ain't finished yet - :lol:

I need to add more area to it - possibly an outside.

The arena needs to be added.

You can send it to birelli@beyondunreal.com if you don't have convenient webspace.

Done - thanks :)

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
I need the packages "SB_Architecture" and "SB_Textures" in order to view the map properly, but I found the problem anway. In the floor of each jail the hole there needs a ZonePortal in it, the jails and the main swich rooms are currently in the same zone. I imagine you have a mover there (I can't see it because of the packages issue), movers are SMs and so don't affect zoning, so you'll need a ZP sheet right below that. In the 3d viewport switch to "Zone/Portal" view and all the zones will get different colors, it's easier to see in that view.

Also I noticed some of your ZP sheets are co-planar with the wall they're "in". This causes odd "tearing" problems often with a HOM effect because the engine can't figure out whether or not to render said wall. Move the sheet back into the door way by one grid space so that any "excess" sheet is in "empty" (actually full) space.

Edit: Oops, just noticed you added some more comments in the "quote" block, when I see a quote from myself I assume I already know what it says :p. Anyway, took off my comment that it's very small as you said that above.

Last edited:

-=DARCHANGEL=-

Firstly, Thanks guys and to Birelli's patience and time - Isn't it funny how you can stare at it for hours on end and it is there right in front of you.

I had the releases set up in the JBInfoJail area and for some reason when I had the crash it must have been before I saved the changes and lost them. Durr!

I think maybe I should not spend so much time on mapping and have a break more often - anyway thanks again guys.

I have decided to expand the map and rescale (based on feed-back) and hopefully have a beta in a few weeks.