1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Please Help...Warning Long Post

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by sfxwe, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Ruin

Ruin New Member

ok, then i have to agree with the other dude, its on their end.. its gotta be a router or swtich somewhere.. fight with them till they fix it.

If they dont, sue em ;)

2. afx15

afx15 New Member

hmmmm

my cousin has the exact same thing with his cable, i went to his house to install it, and im like wow it has good d/l and u/l speed, like yours at the start, and then, everything goes ****, ping at 999 in quake3 (connection interrupted) and ut 5000 and worse, so we call the tech (from videotron, cuz i live in montreal, canada) and they are like, it's maybe a neighbor taking your bandwidth, so we wait, and they call back saying it's not that, so we try different things like speedguide.net things, nothing works, so my cousin wanted games, i download some demos, nothing more, and sometimes, the speed goes really good, like 400k/s then it just goes back to 15k/s, so we call them back, they say it's the modem, they come and change the modem for the exact same model (motorola surfboard usb) then he leaves without even checking the speed, then we tests it, same ****, i then install the NIC, and plug it in, same thing, then i go to sleep, next morning my cousin opens the computer, starts playing UT, and wtf, a ping of 40?!? but still the d/l and u/l speed sucks, they come back do a line test, says it's fine, and leaves....... now my cousin is stuck with this problem...... so if anyone finds the solution, tell me please

3. Roguefryfry|BuF

Roguefryfry|BuF Sup_W{TSU}

I don't want get too far out be!

I've been seeing this happen way too much lately and some of you SF'er might have picked it up while gaming.Here what I think might have happened,And it not all paranoid.Some cable company's have recently been trying to boost sale to people like us. One guy lived right next door to his cable's router and as far as he knew 4 people shared it with him. One bright shiney day the town next door got turn on to cable and he lost half his speed he had the day before.I know he's been hacked several times,within a matter of a week.His ISP telles him it's fine and they came out to test it too. Turns out the day before the town next door is on his router and his cable company said no way.
    But after tracing some rather too often hits on him, he found out where the hack was coming from,someone a 1/2 mile from him in the next town.Luckly the hack didn't know what they were doing and left him alone,the cable installer in the next town did get a nice slap in the face from the same cable ISP. They also found some very interesting looking filters hangen on his line :eek2:
    I'm not trying to freak you out but people have been mess'n with filters for years. And with every Cable company out their.

Is there anyway to take your rig to a distant friends house and trace yourself back to your ISP using your Laptop for your homebase rig? I might even go as far as tracing yourself with many differant ISP's. Who know you out there anyway?

My 2cented story from SF.

4. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Well from all the research I have done, all the 100's and 100's (no joking here) of hour's that I have spent on this, along with all the peeps I have talked with and forums posted too, I have come to the conclusion that it is the Cable company!!!!!!!

I am an @work subscriber, not @Home, from what I can tell, the difference is, they put the business peeps (that's me / @Work), on a different frequency, for better upload / download. From what I am being told, there is either a problem with the node I am going through or there is a frequency problem, IE. the frequency is not set right and I may be on part of the @Home and @Work frequency at the same time. Now how true that is, I dunno, but that is what I have been told by some higher up support peeps from @home and @Work.

I have spoke with the CR supervisor for @Work in AZ, she says, that they will try and help me resolve the problem. I spoke with her on Friday morning, and she was (note, the key word WAS), suppose to call me or have a tech call me on Monday, well it is Tuesday @ 4:00 in the afternoon, and you guessed it, no phone call!!!!!

I promise I will post a resolution when I get one, if I ever get one. I was also told that the reason I may be having this problem, is due to the fact I had my account switched from a lower, to a higher, and then back to a lower one, and the settings may have been goofed......I'll let ya all know, when I get more info.

5. Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless Cold Turkey!

Try route print command to see if there are any unusual ip route's out of your cable modem that your not aware of. Something maybe flooding your bandwidth, sorry i haven't posted lately. I cannot belive this has been going on 2 months now.

6. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

LOL, Thats a new one on me, sorry, but how do u do that....?

7. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Well, well, well, finally an answer or proof, which ever you would like to call it. I said I would post the resolution to my on going problem with Cox@Work, so here it is. After all the hundreds of dollars and hundreds of work hours spent working on this, just to prove it was not me and it was a problem with @Work, I have finally proved it. This is going on 4 months for me, and last night it was, to some extent, finally resolved. Why only to some extent, I tell ya.

Cox@Work finally brought me out a LanCity modem (I had a Toshiba), which runs through a different head-end and runs on a different frequency, but goes through the same node. Well after running my speed test and downloading files from numerous sites, I now have a 2.4 – 3.0 Mbps download rate again, and my usual 225k – 300k upload. As far as UT goes, I can now play UT with a netspeed of 10,000 with no packet loss or a high ping (3000ms) like I was getting. My Ping has come down to the normal sub 100 or better on servers that I am close to, and mid 100’s on servers located further away from me. I am a happy person now to some extent, as I have my connection back to what seems to be a working and normal connection, but unhappy that I have spent a **** load of money and time on this, just to prove that it was not me and it was them all along. What really gets me is I asked them to try this modem thing out months ago, and had suggested that this started when they capped me and that this was the problem.

Why was there a problem with the Toshiba modem? Well, it wasn’t really the modem itself, as I had that for months before this problem occurred. From what I can get out of Cox@Work, they are having a problem on the capping side at the head-end, and guess what, my problem started when they capped me, but again they did not believe me when I brought that up. I finally got a hold of a supervisor, who got me in touch with another tech in their office out here. This guy was the person who finally said “yeah I think it is us and not you”. He is also the one who has been trying different things to help me, and I can honestly say, he helped me get this figured out.

They are doing away with this modem as it is not a DOCSIS compliant modem (at least that is what I have heard and read anyways), this is why this might only be a temporary fix, and this is why this problem has only been fixed to some extent. If they do take this modem out of the so called loop, I might be screwed again. So then what, is this just a band aid for me? My 2nd question is this, don’t you all think they owe me something for all this **** I went through and all the time and money I spent or am I just pushing my luck?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really did appreciate the help.