1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Please Help...Warning Long Post

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by sfxwe, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless Cold Turkey!

2. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Well bro, I am trying ever server I get hook up too, nada, nothing, I ping like $#@% to'em all. Well Cox came out last night with their Laptop, and guess what, theirs worked to.....

I just don't get it, one night everything running real nice on 2 computers that have played UT just fine for over months. Then all of the sudden BANG, no more UT for the WE man :(.

Get this right now I just ran a speed test, and I now get 400Kbps down, LOL....it is getting worse. How can I tell if some one is flooding my ip's, or can that not happen?

Also while connected to a UT server, and playing in a window, I opened up a dos box, and type the good o'l netstat -an. There were no UDP ports open for 7777 or 7778, am I missing something??????????? Shouldn't those be open??????

You know I might check that on my laptop.......WE wonders......

I just don't get it..... I even did a lowlevel format on HD last night, and reinstall the updated BIOS for MB, then reinstalled everything again for like the 100th time, ok maybe only the 40th time, and still no luck.........

3. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Well some more info if anyone is still reading this mess, LOL..

I brought my bro's computer over to my house, hooked it up, installed UT, then 3Com NIC.....still no luck, UT lags out really bad with a 2500 ping..... :(.

When Cox tested my connection and UT on their laptop, they had a beta version of Win XP, and my laptop has Win98 ME, I wonder if those OS's handle TCP/IP connections better. What I mean by that is, maybe they are not as sensitive, cause it seems that desktop PCs are not working but it seems that laptop work ok.

4. Ming the Merciless

I'm still thinking about this. I'll have a word with a mate and let you know. Sorry to ask this again, which OS are you using and then which version, i.e. is it w2k sp1 or Win ME or W98SE so I can duplicate what you are doing.
    Incidentally I found a program called netstat live on tucows by analog x that might help with troubleshooting

5. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Hey Thanks Bro I Owe YA ........

Well one machine has Win98SE , the other has Win2K Pro, the Latop has Win98 ME. Here is the thing other than the laptop, I have tried Win98 SE and Win2K Pro on both or had both running on the same machine. BTW, I have AnalogX, it is a pretty kewl program, I use it alot. There is another program called MyVital Agaent, I think it is by Lucent Tech, and thats a nice program too.

I'm gonna see if I can find someone in my area that has Cox@Home or Cox@Work and see if I can take my computer over there and see what it doe's. Hopefully I can find someone.....but I doubt it.

Also remember, I can set one computer up on my Lan as a server, and then connect to it with my 2nd computer or latop and it works great. Which I would think, would tell me my TCP/IP or any other network connections are ok. Now, when I connect to a server over the internet, I have this huge ping problem, with a 3 or 4 sec delay, which again would tell me it is Cox@Work and not me. I need some kinda of program or software to prove it tho, cause all the ping test and trace routes, show that everything is ok. When I run a trace route or ping test while UT is running and connected to a server, those test then show up bad. So I do not believe that those test are valid and those don't always show the problems someone might be having.

As I said before THANKS for not giving up on me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2001
  6. WasHighPingDuck

WasHighPingDuck Experienced

Hi WhatEver,
    I'm sure you wouldn't decribe your problem as interesting but there does seem to be lots of interest so keep us updated with your progress.
    If it is any consolation your .ini fixed the problem in another thread. :)
    I have tried many of your .ini settings and anything else I could think of and cannot reproduce your symptoms on my DSL connection.
    Proving very little. ;)
    @Home may be the answer for you (no server :( ).
    We're thinking of you.

7. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Thanks WasHighPingDuck, and I am glad someone was able to fix something with that .ini.....

Well I do have some more info for ya, but this is gonna make things worse, LOL........

As you know, I got my bro's computer over to my house and it did the same thing. As you all know both my computers started to acting up on the same night while playing UT. Which again makes me think it is Cox. Here is the the monkey in the whole thing; Cox came out with a Laptop and it worked fine, I bought a Laptop and it works ok, I took a 400 Celeron E-Machine hoem with me from work and it worked ok. LOL, go figure, there are 3 computers that don't work now, and 3 that do. The 3 that do seem to be lower line machines, meaning not a power PC.....

The E-Machine has a D-Link NIC, with 400 celeron, 64MB Ram, Running Win2K, and a ATI 4 MB video card.

Now I could run UT in D3D mode, cause it was really messed up, so I had to run it in software mode, but again, the ping was down in the mid 150 - 200. BTW, I have also tried software mode on my other machines, even before I tired this E-Machine, and that did not fix my problem.

I got one guy @Cox thats seems to be interested in helping me, I asked him if he would take my computer to his tech office and try it there, he said he might be able to do it. So I figure, it if works there then it is COX :), but if it does NOT work there either then it would be ME :(........

One more thing, when I set netspeed to 2600, the ping comes down and it is somewhat playable, but if I go any higher than that, forget about it, PING goes way up again.

I also noticed that when downloading files from say Download.com. the file transfer starts of slow like at 24Kbps and then slowly builds up to say maybe 720Kbps.

I'll let you guys know, if i run into anything else....I'm gonna go buy ANOTHER NIC and try that.....

Thanks again for all your input guys.........

8. Ming the Merciless

Sadly I have had no luck but we're not giving up. Have you looked at the physical connections into your house? might be an idea.

9. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

O Yeah, as a matter of fact, I have Cox digital phone (Over cable). I actually went out and broke into the Cox side of the box, disconnected the main cable (so I could bypass the phone modem), and ran my cable modem right to the main line comming in, of course that didn't help. I then took the main line and connected it to a different coax cable that runs into a different part of the house, yes, you guessed it, nothing changed :(. The only thing I have not done is break into the main cable box for the block (WE is to chicken to do that ;)) and check it there.

One other thing I am gonna try is to run the computer off a different power outlet from another part of the house, maybe there is some electrical interferience going on, I'll let ya guys know.......along with the results of another NIC.

Until the next time........

10. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Well here is the results for new tests, including something I forgot about. This Toshiba modem has a USB port on the back of it allowing me to hook the modem up by way of USB.

NIC = NetGear 10/100, No change
    Power Outlet = No change
    USB type connection = No change

I would think that if there was a problem with any NICs or the PCI bus, that hooking the modem up by way of USB, would eliminate the problem. Well I did it and no change there either, as a matter of fact it seemed worse.

I don't remember if I asked this or not, but is there a way to make the computer open a certian UDP port, like port 7777. Is there a way to test port 7777, maybe Cox shut those ports down. I read on another post, that some ISPs have those ports shut down, now if that is true or not I don't know, but worth a shot I guess.

Well back to work I guess.......

11. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

Man, you're in big trouble. Can you be infected by some trojan that spread through your network?
    I don't know if you have tried this, but disconnect all other computers physicaly from your network, coldboot your computer from the Win98 CD (if it's the orginal and clean from any viruses), run fdisk, delete all partitions, make a new partition, format your disk, install only Win98, the necessary drivers and UT.

12. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Swedix.......Yeppers, I have done that, well, NUMEROUS times, lol.

I even did a lowlevel format. Yes it is the orginal CD.....Here is the thing, I got my bro's computer and ran it directly to the moden, not on my network, and it had same problem too. Which would tell me that it is not a virus? Right?

13. Universal

Universal New Member

14. rprestenback

rprestenback New Member

Hi, whew...this was a long one....I understand how frustrating it can be to try everything....it should work, but it JUST DOESN'T WORK!!! Have you had the "talk" with your computer yet? "Now, listen computer, if you don't straighten up, you see that window over there?......."

I don't think I missed anything, but if what I'm going to suggest has been covered already, please forgive...

OK, after looking over your .ini vs. my .ini here is what I came up with: (BTW, I have done all the same tweaks to my machine that you've done to yours, cable-modem wise. I have cox@home service, use the toshiba cable modem PCX-1100u connected to my USB port [connecting it to a NIC is better however-one less software interface it needs to go through], WIN2K SP2, dX 8.0a, all the latest blah blah blahs" and I'm MCP certified, working on MCSE....OK, on to it:

When you apply the tweaks that come from those web sites, the main thing they are going to change is your default RCV window, dead gateway detect, and TCP acks settings. These three things, vs the settings that are in your .ini file, are what I believe is causing this mess (more specifically, modifying these settings in your registry without modifying their counterpart in UT). And these are specific to @home with a cable modem. I don't have the professional service, so the only thing you may want to adjust for is the multiple of MSS that I have listed below...

1.- RCV window: If my memory serves me, your default RCV window should be a multiple of MSS, times a scaling factor, to give you a much larger window. The tweak programs do all this for you, but just for your info, your MSS for COX should be 1460, with windows size ending up being 373760. MSS*32 scale factor of 8. (1460*32*8=373760).

2.-DeadGW Detect should be on.

3.- PMTU discovery on as well. TCP1323opts set to either 1, or 3. (1 to enable MTU scaling, 3 to enable MTU scaling as well as timestamping, which will cost you 12 bytes per packet, but might slightly reduce packet errors and retransmits.)

As for your UT settings, this is what I saw in your UnrealTournament.ini that might conflict with these tweaked settings:

MaxClientRate=5000
    I would suggest changing this to around 18000.

MinDesiredFrameRate=50.000000
    I would suggest changing this to around 30

There were a couple of other things that I thought to a lesser degree may affect your ping, but try those first and let me know if they work....Good Luck!

15. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

LMFAO, O Yeah, I had the little talk with the computer, and my computer is on the 2nd floor of the house, so it better listen here real soon or ELSE......

Hey guys sorry for not posting anything this weekend, but the AC in my house went out, so I stayed with the some family this weekend. It was a little to hot to stay, as I live in Az, the temp in the house about 96 Deg. LOL.......

As soon as I get some more info I will let ya know...

16. Ming the Merciless

Also have you checked your usb drivers. See if these are the latest for the modem. My boss had a similar problem

17. Zaphrod

Zaphrod President of the Universe

This is not right, Your Rwin should be maximum MTU-40*8 so the absolute max it should be is 14600 which is 1500MTU-40 bytes for TCP/IP header = 1460MSS * 8=11680. If your Rwin is too large you will get latency , usually 3 or 4*MSS is sufficient and 8*MSS is definately more than large enough for Dialup or ISDN , if you have Broadband then you may need up to 8x this about but that still is only 93440.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2001
  18. Roguefryfry|BuF

Roguefryfry|BuF Sup_W{TSU}

I havn't been following up lately be if it help's my setting for Road Runner on Win98SE are MTU 1500, MSS 0, RWIN 372300,TTL 32, NDI 0,Avg Throughput tested at 141592 bytes/sec. This was how their setup program adjusted it.

19. rprestenback

rprestenback New Member

Did I do that right? (quote that is)
    Anyway, here are some pages you may want to take a look at to clear things up:

Cable Modem Registry Tweaks

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article

And here's a quote from the MSKB page referenced above:

"This means that the first data packet sent after the 3-way handshake is the actual window size. If there is a scaling factor, the initial window size of 65,535 bytes is always used. The window size is then multiplied by the scaling factor identified in the 3-way handshake. The table below represents the scaling factor boundaries for various window sizes. {Table omitted from quote for formatting reasons}

For Example:

If the window size in the registry is entered as 269000000 (269M) in decimal, the scaling factor during the 3-way handshake is 13, because a scaling factor of 12 only allows a window size up to 268,431,360 bytes (268M).

The initial window size in this example would be calculated as follows:
    65,535 bytes with a window scale factor of 13.
    True window size = 65535*2^13
    True window size = 536,862,720"

20. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Ok guys, I checked all those settings and tried different ones that each of you had suggested and then some more, lol.....As I has stated before I have tried those all before, and as of right now they still didn't help any :(......

As for the USB drivers for the Toshiba Modem, I have the latest ones, but I don't use the USB connection on that modem. I just used it the one night to test it, to see if I got a better connection with USB, still no luck tho.... :(