1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Please Help...Warning Long Post

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by sfxwe, Jun 14, 2001.

1. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

What’s your opinion, with this scenario……

(Sorry for the long post…)

I have been with @home for 3.5 years, I have always had great download speeds and ok upload speeds (250Kbps). I tried running a UT server off my cable modem with no luck. I here about Cox@Work, which is suppose to have better down and upload speeds. I sign up for Cox@Work, and my download speeds went up a little (around 2.6 – 3.0Mbps), and my upload speed went way up (around 750Kbps – 1.0Mbps). Well I tried running a UT server, and guess what no luck. BTW, the service I signed up for was Cox@Work Standard. I call Cox and asked some questions, the sales guy tells me I need the next service up, Cox@Work Professional, so I say sign me up. Well guess what, still no luck, I have tried everything I could think of, posted questions to numerous Bulletin Boards and have finally given up on ever running a UT server for more than 6 peeps over a cable modem.

Here is where the fun begins, when I had Cox@Work Standard I got approximately 2.6 – 3.0 Mbps down and 750 – 1000Kbps up; when I switched to Cox@Work Professional I got the EXACT same speeds (funny how that works, huh?)!!!!! Well I was kinda pissed that nothing changed. So instead of paying the higher price for the Professional service, I called the sales guy and told him to switch me back to the Standard plan, because the Professional didn’t work either. Now, when the Cox tech came out to switch me back over to the Standard plan, he told me, the service was the same for both the Standard and the Professional, other than a router they give ya nothing was different, His words, “God I hate those sales guys”, lol. He says “Why they sold you the Professional package, is beyond me, cause we don’t change anything on our end and if it did not work with the standard, it WAS NOT gonna work with the Professional”. So the switch begins.

2 Days after asking Cox to switch me back to the Standard service, but before they actually came out to take the cheap A$$ router they gave me with the Professional service away, I run into a problem. I am playing on a server I always play on, all of the sudden my ping goes through the roof (2500 Plus), I now have a 2 – 3 second delay in the game. I of course try all the different things to get my ping down; I shut down and restart my computer, try another server, all kinds of things. Now remember this started 2 days after calling Cox and right in the middle of a game I was in that night, so it was not like I just had installed or changed something on my computer. Well I get frustrated and stop playing for the night. I get on the next day and same thing, very high ping, and UT is UN-Playable to any server I connect, not just the ones I normally play on with my fellow gamers and clan mates. I mess with all kinds of settings for the next couple of days with no luck. I also start testing my download speeds, at various test sites, and what do I find, I find that I am now getting a download speed anywhere from 500Kbps to 1.5 Mbps and my upload speeds are now back down to 250Kbps (Wonder what Cox did to me when I called and changed service). I now call Cox back and tell them my new problem, I also ask that when they guy comes out to switch me back to the Standard service, have him bring me another cable modem and tell him I want him to test my line just incase there is a problem.

So the guy comes out, checks everything and says there is nothing wrong, and that a download speed of 1.6Mbps down is GREAT. I tell him I was getting 2.6 – 3.0Mbps down and 750Kbps – 1.0Mbps up, even with Cox @ Home I got better speeds, and for the 3.5 – 4.0 years I have been with Cox, I have never got speeds that low and I have always been able to play UT with no problems at all. He ask me to show him what I am talking about with UT, so I do, I get on a server and show him the delay and the high ping. I also told him the facts are this, up until 2 weeks ago, I have never had a problem playing UT, and my speeds have always been better than this, the other night something changed, and I now have lower speeds, and cannot play UT, these are the facts. Well this got me no where, and he leaves. Later that day my download speed goes to 500Kbps and upload is now at 111Kbps. I call Cox again, and ask for help, they say, we DO NOT guarantee up or download speeds, sorry, there is no problem.

Well, I have been saving $$$$ up for a Laptop, and figure **** I’ll go by it now and use it to run some more test with. So off to the store I go, I buy my Laptop, bring it home, turn it on, install UT, get on a server, and whadda know, my ping is just FINE, at around 150ms. I try using the cables my other computers are using, thinking that they are the cause, but no, no matter what I do, my ping is just FINE.

Cox calls me back and says we are gonna come out with a laptop (Doh, I just did this laptop test) and put UT on it and test it at your house, I’m thinking cool someone cares. But, the thing is, they are gonna come out and test it, and not find a freak’n thing wrong then leave. I on the other hand will still be stuck with the same problem.

Well I start messing with things big time on my end, and here is what I have done;
    (PS. My nick is |sFX|What_Ever and peeps call me WE, this is what I posted to our clan BBS)

1. WE is playing along on a server, all is going fine ping wise
    2. WE gets out of the server, talks with friends in UT IRC
    3. WE goes back into a server and BANG WE’s ping is 2500
    4. WE restarts his computer numerous times
    5. WE finally gives up and goes to bed
    6. WE tries to play the next day, but has same problem
    7. WE notices that 2nd computer now has same problem, but not as bad as the other
    8. WE reinstalls Win2k Numerous Freak’n times, more than 10
    9. WE installs Win98 Numerous times more than 5
    10. WE also reformats HD numerous times
    11. WE installs new versions of UT Numerous times.
    12. WE tries different NIC’s and different PCI slots
    13. WE tries different drivers for different NIC’s
    14. WE disconnects all but 1 computer from LAN, and runs 1 PC Direct to cable modem
    15. WE tries just the other computer connected to cable modem
    16. WE Bangs his head on computer desk Numerous times (That definitely didn’t help)
    17. WE has tried different cables
    18. WE has tried removing all PCI cards other than Video and Nic
    19. WE notices his download speed are now down into the 500Kbps range at times
    20. WE notices that uploads have dropped under 256Kbps
    21. WE use to get 2.6 – 3.0Mbps down and 750Kbps – 1.0Mbps up
    22. WE has tried all speed tweaks possible
    23. BTW WE has done NO hardware Tweaks IE: Over Clocking
    24. WE scans Hard Drivers for Viruses
    25. WE finds no Virus
    26. We calls Cox
    27. WE has Cox tech come out and test system
    28. WE has had Cox say it is not them, it must be me
    29. WE has had Cox say it could be out of their network
    30. WE got a kewl program from a friend for continuous TraceRT testing
    31. WE does not see anything bad in 45 min of trace route testing
    32. WE has download speed go back up to 1.3 Mbps, but not 2.6Mbps
    33. WE has upload speed stay around 240Kbps
    34. WE is starting to loose his Freak’n Mind
    35. WE gets his new Laptop
    36. WE installs the NIC in Laptop
    37. WE installs UT on Laptop
    38. WE connects Laptop straight to cable modem
    39. WE connects to sFX , OMC , RoadRunner servers
    40. WE has a ping of around 150 - 200 on all servers
    41. WE now knows he is TOTALLY ****ED

WE is now wondering if there is a Virus embedded in the HD drive that spread through to both computers. Sounds like a long shot, but hell I dunno what else to do. I have reformatted parts of the HD when I reinstalled windows, Windows was installed in one partition of a multiple partitioned 40GB HD. Maybe I need to remove all my data from the complete HD, then delete all the partitions, and reformat the complete HD, and start all over AGAIN? The other weird thing is the Kids / Wife’s computer is not as bad as my computer. Example, the other computer will have a ping up to 2500 too, but not always, and most of the time it will go up and down from say 200 then backup to 2500; where as my computer just sits at 2200 almost all the time. The other thing that happens is, when I 1st join a server my ping starts off at say 400, it will build to 2500. I have no packet loss until I get to about a 1900- 2000 ping, then the packet loss starts, which I’m sure is due to my computer throwing them out cause the packets are just building up and not being used. Guys I must be missing a setting, or have a virus, or am just plain Freak’N stupid. I have tried different combinations of software with Win98 SE and Win2K installs; Example, run with no windows updates, no service Packs, no DirectX8 upgrades. I have tried different video card / sound card drivers, I have tried every possible combination I can think of with hardware and software. The facts still remain:

1. WE used Win2k to do this before and tons of other peeps use it to, including OMC guys
    2. WE used Win98 SE as do tons of other peeps
    3. WE cannot use either one now at all
    4. WE has lost some upload and download speeds
    5. WE’s ping went up during a game
    6. WE has a new Laptop that seems to work just fine, which means it is not Cox@Work , from what I can tell.

Any Ideas…….Next Step for WE, Target practice with his 44Mag or his brothers .50 Cal BMG.

BTW, last night I;
    1. Reformatted the complete hard drive, AGAIN
    2. Reinstall the factory HD image
    3. Installed the NIC
    4. Installed UT
    5. Got on a server and tried to play as my PING was still 2500

Computer Configurations:

Computer #1: (about a year old)

Dell XPST 700r

PIII 700
    256 Megs Ram
    Intel MB with 440BX chipset
    Promise Tech ATA 66 IDE Add-In Card (Factory Installed)
    30 GB ATA 66 7200 RPM Quantum HD
    SB Live Digital Sound Card
    Nvidia Geforce 256 Plus
    Samsung 8x DVD
    Sony 8x4x32 CD-RW
    3Com US Robotics Fax/Modem
    3Com 10/100 NIC 3C900C TX-M
    Logitech MouseMan Wheel PS2 Mouse
    MS Internet KeyBoard
    Running Win98SE or Win2K Pro at different times

Computer #2 (2 months old)

ABS Computers

1.2 Athlon DDR 266
    256 Megs PC2100 Memory
    FIC AD11 MotherBoard
    With VIA 686b SouthBridge chipset
    With AMD 761 NorthBridge chipset
    WinFast (LeadTek) 64 DDR Meg GeForce2Ultra Video Card
    SB Live Platinum 5.1 with Live Drive Sound Card
    40 GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 Maxtor HD
    Creative 12x DVD
    Plextor 16x10x40 CD-RW
    3Com US Robotics Fax/Modem
    3Com 10/100 Nic 3C900-TX
    MS IntelliType Pro KeyBoard PS2/USB
    MS IntelliPoint Optical Explorer Mouse PS2/USB

Computer #3 (3 days old)

HP LapTop N5350

PIII 850 SpeedStep
    128 Meg Ram
    20 GB HD
    Win98 ME
    10/100 NetGear Nic

2. WasHighPingDuck

WasHighPingDuck Experienced

Hi WhatEver,
    I'll bet you've checked this but there is a setting in U/T under lan or connecrions (I'm at work, no U/T?) that sets your connectrion type/speed. Mine got reset to 56k and behaved like this.

Try to keep in mind when analysing this that download/upload speeds are determined by the available bandwidth on the entire route to the server. Cable being a ring lan configuration with your neighbours, your available bandwidth will fluxuate with their use.

Ping is a measure of the time it takes your packets of data to get to the destination server and return, in miliseconds. It is affected by the number of hops and available bandwidth at any of them.

It does sound like the problem is on your end.
    It might help to post your UnrealTournament/ System/ UnrealTournament.ini (configuration) file.

Good luck! :)

3. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Well, the good o'l F6 Key shows my net speed to be 10000, which is what I always set it at. I apologize for not posting my UT settings. I also went into the *.ini and checked it there to, and it also says 10000. I am at work also, so I can not post my UT .ini.

I'm going through UT withdrawls....... :( , I got the shakes, cold sweats, and see blood splatters on the walls at times....damn......somone call me a doctor, LOL.....

4. WasHighPingDuck

Hi WhatEver,
    Start Unreal tournament,
    Esc/ Options/ Preferences/ Network/ Cable/DSL
    sets whatever the defaults are for CABLE.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2001
  5. Zaphrod

Zaphrod President of the Universe

Have you tried pinging yourself? If you ping your own IP address and it is ok then its outside your computer but if its still high then its inside, also try pinging 127.0.0.1 which is the loopback address.

Also find out what com port your Nic uses and in your system settings change that com port from 9600 to 115,200.

In network settings in control panel open the network or dialup adapter properties and in the bindings tab make sure TCP/IP is the only Protocal and in the advanced tab make sure Point to point is disabled and IPX header compression is disabled. If you can find out what your ISP's MTU (max Transmission unit) is then set it accordingly in the same tab under IP packet size

Large=1500
    auto=576

You can also set these to different numbers if you get a program like MTUSpeed or in the registry if you are confident about worting in there but I dont suggest it.

To manually find out your ISP's MTU you can set your IP packet size to large and then in a DOS prompt type:

ping -f -l xxxx www.yourisp.com (where xxxx is a number between 512 and 1500) Starting at 512 and working up toward 1500 and the last number that returns a ping time is the MTU. Once the MTU is exceeded then it will return 4 lines that say: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set

Once you know the MTU set it with MTUspeed or some other modem utility.

6. Roguefryfry|BuF

Roguefryfry|BuF Sup_W{TSU}

Is it just UT? Did they take your older modem with them when you "upgraded";) ? When you tested the Laptop was if on the cable? This sounds strange but I've read about this happening before. Something has changed,who knows, drivers upgrades,tweaks.

7. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Ok here it goes, some more info for ya...

As far as the Modem, they replaced it with the same one, it is a Toshiba PCX1100u.

When I tested with the Laptop, I used it on the same cables that my other 2 computers are using.

I did do a Trace Route and Ping Test to my own IP and to 127.0.0.1 with 0ms readings. As a matter of fact I used a really neat program called SolarWinds, that will keep looping the test over and over and over, till I actually stop it. Again all readings were Zero.

I have tried all the speed tweaks, including MTU, LOL, I live on DSLReports.com and SpeedGuide.net.

I also removed the IPX protocol altogether, as per ShieldsUp, web site, another great site :).

Here is some more wierd **** for ya....I just did this little test.

I ran UT on my 1st computer as a dedicated server, then got on my 2nd computer and connected over the lan, and whadda know, no ping issues and the game played great. Ping was around 40ms from one computer of mine to the other.

Then I connected to another UT server, got my normal 2500 Ping, I then minimized UT. At this point I opened up SolarWinds Trace Route, and pointed it to that same IP that I was connected to in UT. This is where it gets good, lol. The Trace Route program keeps running the trace over and over, while I was watching it the times through all the hops were down in the 30 - 40 ms rang. I went back into UT, but this time I did NOT maximize it, I kept it in a window, so that I could see the Trace Route info. As soon as I got into the game, my ping went to 2300ms and the numbers for the Trace Route Program all jumped way up into the 2000 range, for every hop, as a matter of fact some hops did not even responds at times. Now is that wierd **** or what? I took a screen cap, but I have now way of posting it on here :(.

I also have done this, but did it again, just to make sure. I pinged zdnet.com with a packet size of 1460, and the ping was ok. The packet did not have to be fragmented.

I don't get it, why all of the sudden do 2 computers act this way, but the laptop with Win ME is ok?

I do have one more question, is there an IRC channel I can go into and chat with some networking guys or anyone that might have an answer?

8. Zaphrod

All I can say is WEIRD. What you are saying is that UT is causing the High Pings and only over the internet and not over the lan but only on that computer.

It sounds almost as if when UT is running it is hogging the PCI bus and the other stuff cant get through.

Do you get any other problems like sound corruption? Have you tryed running in software modem to see if that effects it at all?

9. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Yes SIr, I sure have tried it in SoftWare Mode, with no luck :(

10. Zaphrod

Sorry, I am stumped. I know you have reinstalled and and reformatted parts of the harddrive, my next move would be to reformat the whole drive and start again.

11. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

LOL, I did that too, with no luck............Ya know I gotta believe it is Cox. I read somewhere that maybe if they shut down some UDP ports this could happen?

12. Zaphrod

Can you get DSL in your area. Its generally better than cable for these type things and if you go with the right ISP they will knowingly allow you to host full time servers. www.telocity.com is one that comes to mind.

13. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

No Sir, I sure can't..........I'm stuck with this.......

BTW, thanks for all your input :D .........

14. WasHighPingDuck

Hi WhatEver,
    This doesn't look good.
    Does your cable nic card share it's IRQ with anything that U/T might be using hard?
    Video card, Sound card, Math unit?
    Does U/T run at normal speed while you have the high ping?
    Post that ini, there are people that may be able to help reading this right now.
    I know that plug and pray should make your clean install of U/T perfect but you know that isn't the case.
    Good luck! :)

15. Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless Cold Turkey!

Hi Whatever
    There are two possible solutions to this. It's could either be your cable provider.Grrr! The other problem I have heard about is a creeping ping problem with the W2K TCP/IP stack. I post regularly on the MCSE boards so I'll probably have a reply for you soon.

16. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Here is my UT .ini. Thanks again guys for all your hard work, hopefully something will pop up for ya.

Protocol=unreal ProtocolDescript... IRCChannelHistory[9]= bHasReadWarning=False

17. Ming the Merciless

You don't say if you are using a firewall at all. This may be causing problems with your ping. Also have you got w98 and w2k on separate partitions. This is quite important as otherwise the operating systems tend to go a bit screwy.

18. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Nope, I don't run a firewall, and I am not using a router, although I use to, but with Cox@Work I now have 3 IP's so no need for router anymore. I am not running a firewall.

I have also just set 1 computer up connected directly to the cable modem, bypassing everyhting, and still no luck.

As for Win98 SE and Win2K, I have only Win98SE installed on the DEll, as I removed all the partitions on the HD, reformatted and reinstall the the Dell Factory Image. As for the ABS computer I just have Win2K on it, no Win98SE is installed on it.

Now, when I am running Win98SE and Win2K together, I do run them in Speperate partitions, and I do hide the partitions from each other, so that each OS, does NOT know the other is there, this is something I have always done, to try and keep problems from happening, a lotta good that did me, huh? LOL........

WasHighPingDuck:

Does your cable nic card share it's IRQ with anything that U/T might be using hard?

Well yes unfortunatly it does, installing Win2K as an ACPI OS it controlls everything, but I have tried installing it, as a non-ACPI OS, and no luck there either.

But again here is the weird thing.....I had been useing Win2K and Win98SE on both these computers for months, with no setting changes, and with Windows controlling the IRQs, with no problems at all, even when certain hardware was sharing the same IRQ. Then all of the sudden one night BANG, Pings go through the roof, and UT is not playable at all.

Does U/T run at normal speed while you have the high ping? Yes sir, UT seems to play ok, at times it gets a little choppy when the ping gets high. Playing UT, like as pratice sessions, it plays fine.

Again guys, thanks for all your help......I'll try anything else you guys can throw at me.....

19. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Ok, this is gonna sound funny, but I have never played any other video / online game ever. The only game I have ever played it UT. Is there a demo I can download for another online game, say like Quake, that I can test online, to see if it acts the same? I thought most demos, will not let u play online, they just let u play as a single player. If there is such a demo, that will allow me to play online, maybe I can try that? whadda think? or would that be a bad comparrison?

20. Ming the Merciless