~~~Please HELP ME~~~

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KrEaToR

(_. -[KrEaToR]- ._)
Aug 30, 2001
MN
Visit site
I'm putting some "already made" pipes (that i found in the Actors browser) into my map and they are not solid, you can't walk on them, i just walk right through them. How can I make them walkable on???

:y5:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Um, something with the collision radius or something like that. It is in the pipes properties you gotta set it to the right size. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

Techno JF

He Who Has Powerful Words
I can fill in the blanks to this question. In the Pipe's properties, expand Collision and set bBlockActors, bBlockPlayers, bCollideActors, and possibly even bCollideWorld to True. After that, fiddle with the CollisionHeight and CollisionRadius until you find something that works. Remember that for pipes that you rotated, you have also rotated their collision areas too.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
ok, the Unreal world is made from the geometry you create with the brushes --that's the BSP. It tells the engine where the flooor you walk on is, and when you bump into a wall.
Into this you place Actors -- bots, you, lights, sound, and decoration like the pipe.

The engine sometimes needs to know about actors touching each other. eg:
rocket hits player, player walks into trigger, player bumps a barrel.
Some actors, like lights, don't need to tell the engine about thing bumping into them.

To keep things simple on our primitive silicon-based computers of the Early Age of Mankind, this is done by giving each actor a Collision Cylinder. It's always a cylinder, and it's always upright. (the next version of the U engine apparently will offer more varied possibilities).

The size of the CC, and what sort of things it should notice touching it are all set in the Collision options.

KrEaToR

(_. -[KrEaToR]- ._)
Aug 30, 2001
MN
Visit site
So can you give me an estimate or a good guess as to what numbers to put in for CollisionHeight & CollisionRadius ?:D

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
better than that, you can see the radius in the editor.
right-click on the header bar of one of the viewports, & go Actor>Radii view.
you'll get a circle in a 2D view and a dotted cylinder in 3D when you select an actor.

bear in mind that since the pipe mesh is nothing like a cylinder, you'll never get it quite right. You're better off using brushes around it in some way (look at the sides of the pressure chamber in DM-Pressure for an example of this)

KrEaToR

(_. -[KrEaToR]- ._)
Aug 30, 2001
MN
Visit site
Thanx Tarquin! you've been a lot of help so far:) I was told how to make an elevator and i followed the steps that were told to me but when i play it, the elevator wont move:( any advice?:D

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
are you related to CreatoR who posts on OT?

check the tutes at unrealed.exe (PU main page, left-hand bar, look under 'editing')

mods, could we have a pinned-up FAQ thread please? there've been a LOT of n00bs lately asking about the basics -- not that we mind but our fingers are about to fall off :D .... just a post of the basic links to the tute websites would be great :)

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Originally posted by KrEaToR
So can you give me an estimate or a good guess as to what numbers to put in for CollisionHeight & CollisionRadius ?:D

Yeah sure you can :-

Collission Height of 128 = 256 Unreal Gird Units.

This part is for KrEaToR :-

make a room 256x256x256. if u set the pipe to 128 collision height and collision radius you'll see that the outer edges of the collision cylinder touch all the 6 sides of the room :)