1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Plants vs. Zombies

Discussion in 'Games' started by hal, May 5, 2009.

1. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

What I really like about tower defense in games like Warcraft III is the mazing aspect. Still sounds like fun though, I'll check it out some time later.

2. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

It does seem very straightforward compared to some of the WC3 levels..

I've been using the exact same build-order strategy with the same structures for about 10 levels and managed to beat all of them without losing much of what I'd built. The game will probably throw something at me soon to mess that up though. :p

3. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

4. TurdDrive

TurdDrive sam k

the new star wars era

5. Mr. UglyPants

Mr. UglyPants 2007 never existed, it was all a dream.

By the title I instantly thought of Triffids.

6. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

Played demo for 30-45 minutes last night. Promptly ordered the full version.

I've never played any T-D games in the past but I think this could get me to explore other games in the genre. Base building and setting up defenses are one of the things I like in RTS games so this game is like pure bliss.

The sun system is very very reminiscent of Insaniquarium. Actually, the UI and the Zen Garden are similar to other elements in Insaniquarium so I'm really starting to wonder if this is by the same team.

Oh and does anyone know why the Steam version is $10 cheaper than buying directly from PopCap? Is it because of the authentication system in Steam limits concurrent users?

7. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

Yeah, that's kinda what happens in WC3 aswell. You build some very basic stuff and that works for like 10 levels, then suddenly a difficult wave comes where one or two breaks through, and before you can manage to build a better defense or upgrade (you wasted all your money on small stupid towers) another wave spawns and kicks your ass :(

8. OO7MIKE

OO7MIKE Mr. Sexy

The game was fun! On the demo I got to play about 3 maps in the dark before my time was up. Yay for Sun Mushrooms!

I do wonder how much replay value there is though...
    Also, how do I get the $10 price? It says 19.99 on the website.
    JaFO: Thanks for the link, a mac version is just what I needed.

9. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

$10.00 price is through Steam.

There are tons of minigames that open up in the full version too, along with the Survival mode. Knowing PopCap I wouldn't be surprised to see a free add-on sometime in the future too.

10. (GR)Killer

(GR)Killer ...

This game is the top seller for steam. It's ahead of L4D, and that games been the top a while.

11. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

There's a **** load of cards (Plants) as I've seen. I'm currently at the first time you meet the screen door zombies. So before that, the card I unlocked said "Fume that can go trough screen doors" I was like, que?

When then I noticed that bitch. Bucket heads are annoying, meat plants take care of them but they seem to take too much time to eat.

And these free purple "short range" mushrooms seems a bit overpowered with these zombies so far. But they're excellence for starting up a round.

Oh yeah, and sun shrooms sounds useless, takes less time to just make a sun flower and get the 25 points out of it right at the start.

12. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

You can do fine using only sun-shrooms, save your sunflower slot for a different plant. Sun-shrooms grow into full size 25-Sun generators after a few minutes, and by then you should have enough to keep going for the whole level.

I didn't mean 10 waves, I mean 10 seperate levels (with however many waves in each one). Just building the same stuff each time works, even though they send in stronger or different creeps at you every few.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  13. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

demo made me go meh, even though I like TDs quite a bit.

14. Cowlike

Cowlike New Member

It looks like a new TD is created every so and then, I don't even know which one was the first

15. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Keep in mind that the learning curve is very gentle. It's quite a few levels in before you start to get more and more complex zombie attacks and literally dozens of different plants to combat them. Then you have the day/night cycle and terrain changes.

16. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

I think the genre was popularized in Warcraft III?

17. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

18. evilmrfrank

evilmrfrank Banned

I love the neighbor hes awesome :D

19. KaL976

KaL976 *nubcake*

survival mode is cool - you get to reselect your plants at the end of each wave [5 waves per level]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  20. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Steam added achievements to the game. Lulz to those of you who avoided it (if any).