Planet name?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Bah! Thou of little imagination! How 'bout we end the argument and make up a NEW name? And who knows, maybe it has different names based on which species you ask.

How about:
Humans (after finally charting the planet): Gryph(t)on
Skaarj: M'rrk Ball
Mercenarys: Chig'gen Zhi't
Krall: Xy'zz''y
Pupae: Sszzssh Gurble
Nali: maybe Na Pali is like "New Pali", like the floating island is a newer colony. So they just call the planet Pali.

Dr.Haggard

Indifferent
Oct 16, 2001
UK
Visit site
Following is a quote from the Official Unreal Strategy Guide, which was written in close collaboration with the Epic and DE guys (and there are several other references which refer to this):
The Sunspire was once the place where the Nali went to reach their city in the sky - Na Pali. Now it's a dark, forbidding citadel full of Skaarj and worse. Your goal here is to enter and work your way to the top to find the entry to the Skylift that will take you to Na Pali.

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
baner2.JPG

:rolleyes:

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
I also know the planet as gryphon and the skyisland is "na pali haven"

so I didnt know what they meant by 'return to na pali'
which na pali ffs?
whatever...

Dr.Haggard

Indifferent
Oct 16, 2001
UK
Visit site
There's a couple of big devil fish, a slith too...but I don't see any Nali.

Holiday brochures can be so misleading. I bet they don't mention that you shouldn't drink the water, the service is terrible, and that most people there carry guns...or that you may get ripped to pieces by any one of a menagerie of alien life forms from the far reaches of the galaxy. Tut tut :rolleyes:

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
I agree that the skytown is called Na Pali. But what's the real name if the planet then?
Sure the Nalis won't call it Gryphon. I read that name in some early reviews too. But it's what the humans call it, at best.
But what's the native name?

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
yeah, i know it from early previews as well where they also showed the old skaarj, krall and brute skins

they changed a lot....that guide may be from that time as well

but why did they never tell you the name of the planet in unreal? or did they? i cant remember

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
I think the misnomer of the mission pack was due to the original names becoming blurred over time. I mean the mission pack clearly refers to the planet not the sky island.

Check the destination :D
bcard.gif

Actually it was Napoli / Naples, but close enough :)

Smirftsch

May 9, 2000
www.oldunreal.com
lol, boyz, its been a while i saw such a useless but very funny thread, i don't wanna give any opinion about the planets name, but thank u for writing all the stuff, very amusing ;)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Originally posted by DavidM
I also know the planet as gryphon and the skyisland is "na pali haven"

so I didnt know what they meant by 'return to na pali'
which na pali ffs?
whatever...

Well, if you knew the name of the planet was Gryphon, like you say it is, then why'd u name your map pack Operation: Na Pali? :p :)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Navigator's Log: Vortex Rikers. We are on route to the prison moon. Long range sensors are detecting uncharted magnetic masses in Gamma Sector 83H. The captain has ordered a change in course.

hmm, maybe its called gamma sector 83h! :D

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
anything mentioned in RTNP should be discarded. If the panet isn't called NaPali or isn't clearly stated in Unreal than it wouldn't make sense to use info from a game that uses it as it's name.