1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Planet name?

Discussion in 'Unreal' started by Big giB, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Big giB

Big giB Keep out of reach of children.

OK so Hellscrag has some good arguements as to why teh planet in Unreal is NOT called Na Pali. I'm a tad bit confused now.

2. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

I may be delusional but I thought you visit a few planets durring the course of playing.
    I remember the bulk of prgression leads to finding a ship and going through a teleporter and arriving on some surface.

3. Drevlin

Drevlin Uno

Yea, the teleporter is there but it brings you to a village near the sunspire so its on the same planet :)

btw, did you guys know Na'Pali is a tourist island near hawaii?

4. Dr.Haggard

Dr.Haggard Indifferent

Yeah I did, and I always wondered why they'd named the planet in Unreal after it...odd that.

There's definitely only one planet, but it'd be cool to hear reasons why it might not be called Na Pali :)

5. Ðork

Ðork Dork online, since '99

Maybe the planet is really called Hawaii, but it's just not mentioned anywhere. After all, how many places on Earth would announce that this is Planet Earth to someone who crashed here?

I know that one of Hellscrag's points is that having gone through "Na Pali Gateway", the place that you would expect to get to is Na Pali (i.e. the Haven). Therefore the village on the floating lump of rock would be Na Pali, not the planet.

Against this, I consider that Na Pali Gateway was traditionally for travellers going from the Haven down to the planet. This would mean that the player in the game does it in "the wrong direction". The sky elevator being based at the Gateway reinforces this view, imho. This would support the planet being Na Pali.

6. Dr.Haggard

Dr.Haggard Indifferent

Hm...I have to admit the first time I played Unreal I thought the planet had no name (at least not that was communicated to the player). I assumed that Na Pali was just the name of the place, Na Pali Haven, but I didn't give it much thought to be honest.

7. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

Dork; if Gateway to Na Pali was the gateway to the planet (called Na Pali) then why is the sky town labelled Na Pali Haven?

I still don't think it works :eek:

8. Waffnuffly

Waffnuffly >:E

Scrag, it's possible that Na'Pali Haven is called that because it's a haven from the surface. For example, the Nali could go to the Haven after a hard week of work on the surface etc., and when they come back down, they go through The Gateway to Na Pali (leading downwards).

BTW wouldn't you feel kinda sick after going up there though? I mean it's so damn high... you gotta feel some atmospheric effects:p

9. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

Sure that could work... but is that any better supported than my theory? :D

10. Waffnuffly

I dunno, I just wanna keep the peace.

I just call the planet "The Nali Planet" to make everyone happy:)

11. Metakill

Metakill Inhumane

The first time I did it I threw up 3 times and nearly burst my eardrums. Then I learned to breathe in slow short breaths while holding your nose ('cuz of the high traces of wind-born tritium dust particles).

BTW, I read somewhere in these forums that the planet is called Gryphon. Don't blame me though, I think it's a stupid name too.

12. Dr.Haggard

Dr.Haggard Indifferent

Well, Gryphon (Gryphton? can't remember) was the original name for the planet - or at least that what I always assumed (things are kind of getting turned on their head here hehe). If you read early (ie '96, early '97) previews of the game the planet was called Gryph(t)on, but after a while that name stopped appearing altogether.

I'll pull out some old magazines when I get home later and check the exact name.

If Hellscrag is right then maybe it is called that, and it wasn't an early name that was scrapped, awful though it is!

However I'm inclined to think it is called Na Pali, all the evidence points that way doesn't it? The Haven\Gateway thing makes the most sense that way at least, IMHO.

13. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

Why does it make sense?

Planet <-- Not referred to as Na Pali
    Sky Caves <-- Gateway to Na Pali
    Sky Town <-- Na Pali Haven

Seems clear cut to me?!? The sky caves are the gateway to the haven town surely?

I always assumed Gryphon was an invention (I think it was on the old ONP site that I originally saw the name), I didn't realise it was in previews.

14. Waffnuffly

THE PLANET IS NOT CALLED GRYPH(T)ON, NA'PALI, OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT... IT IS CALLED
    The Nali Planet

15. Waffnuffly

16. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

Let us just leave it called Na Pali.

17. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

I agree with Waffnuffly, that's what I've always called it.

I'm not going to leave it called Na Pali because it never was called Na Pali IMO, but I'm not going to argue it any further unless somebody else looks to discuss it :).

18. Waffnuffly

/me plays halleluia music

19. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

Well that's the same thing I said to Dork a while back but then somebody brought the subject up directly :)

20. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

Try surfing around at www.archive.org and look at the may 98 http://unreal.com file I believe it's may. But read the stuff, I think it mentions the name of the planet. And it is Na Pali.