Pings, and why they seem worse with INF.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Draco-1

I've been to hell, and I spell it DMV.
Jan 30, 2000
Visit site
Ok, this actually has soemthign to do with mathematics..

First off, Pings for INF are no worse or better than for UT. It dopesn't really work that way.

So why are your pings higher on average?

Simple. When looking for a UT game, you are sifting through 2000 to 3000 servers. If you were to place each one in a line sorted by pings, you will have MORE at every range of pings.

INF on the other hand only has 25-30 servers currently. So there's only 1/100th of the servers at any particular ping range. So that makes it look like pings are higher.

Additionally, with fewer servers, there's a GREATER chance that there will not be a nearby server. This also increases the chance of higher pings.

There can be other factors involved as well. If you have a winmodem, INF's extra CPU load will hurt your pings. This can be solved by upgrading to a hardware modem. Hardware modems only cost $5-$10 more than winmodems, and are a must for any serious gamer without cable/DSL.

sasig.jpg

BB_Izgard

I need to improve my aim.
Jul 23, 2000
Pings.

Last night I had pings of about 2-300 and it didn't bother me much at all. Of course I will always blame me being killed on the ping, and the fact that everybody out there seem to use some sort of aimbot! :D

Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I decided to turn around, because let's face it, there are muggers and rapists and all kinds of crazy psychos out there...

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Roger that.

Anyways, INF is fine with a 350 ping :)

angryfire.gif
LordKhaine
angryfire.gif

"There is no peace among the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of the thirsting gods."

Acrappa

Oh Come On
Mar 2, 2001
www.rampancy.net
My situations is odd; I have low pings, but it's still laggy. On servers where I have 150 pings, I often get the disconnecting symbol and have annoying lag. The only server where I didn't lag was playing normal UT maps with Infiltration and my ping was 70-80. It was absolutely perfect.

Pings in the 100s are playable, but I expected a lot less trouble for pings in those range. And I can't blame my deaths on the ping, I really suck a lot. :)

<p align="right">
sig2.gif
</p>&nbsp;&nbsp;

Hannibal

Jan 6, 2000
Visit site
as for me...

I still haven't managed to grab the map pack, so I'm not going to bother trying to find a server who runs with the 2.8 map pack(are there any?). I love the additions in 2.85, and it's great to see so many new people on the boards(this is my first post since getting 2.85).

MrSkETcH

Beta Test3r
May 13, 2000
www.tacsim.com
Thank you Draco-1. I get way to many messages telling me that inf netcode suck because they get high pings. You get high pings cus either u live too far from the server or your ISP suck. As more inf servers pop up they will surely be one closer to do which will result in better pings.

Infiltration Beta tester
Webmofo TacSim.com
www.tacsim.com

Dano3000

Apr 28, 2000
Hick part of Arizona
hmmm

Well, why are we having this conversation if you can play INF fine with a ping up to 250 (instead of sniping, of course)

and if you want to snipe just spend your 15,000 a month on a t3 connection :D

Shading the way.....

page

Draco-1

I've been to hell, and I spell it DMV.
Jan 30, 2000
Visit site
Acrappa: That's what's called Packet Loss. Ping packets are VERY small (usuallya bout 56bytes). These can suually slip right through high traffic areas or problems without flinching.

Picture a bike messenger in the middle of a city, that's a ping packet.

Now, imagine a UPS truck trying to do the same thing, that's a regular packet.

You can see where problems may arise. The way to check for PL is to hit F6 while you are playing. You will get a lot of networking information, including packet loss percent. Any is bad.

One thing you can try is turning your network connection speed down in the menus. If you have a modem and have that set to LAN, you'll get a lot of packet loss as UT will try to push HUGE packets through a skinny phoneline.

Also, you may get PL from faulty equipment at your ISP, or connecting to a server WAY too far away.

sasig.jpg

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I think you'll find you can snipe with a 250+ ping. I was got some nice robar and PSG shots in, and my ping is 300+ on US servers. :D

angryfire.gif
LordKhaine
angryfire.gif

"There is no peace among the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of the thirsting gods."

Murphy

Have beer, will travel.
Jan 9, 2001
Another apparent lag symptom to debunk

Not sure how many others may be in my boat, but increasing I am finding that my computer itself, and not my internet connection are the source of my problems. You see, I have a cable modem attached to a P2 333MHz, one of those jobs with the archaic 66 bus rather than 100 or 133. 128 mb RAM helps, and a VooDoo 3 3000 certainly helps, but all in all my machine is getting weaker and weaker relative to the games I'm playing. Infiltration is no exception here... heavily populated servers, or a lot of action within my field of view can cut my framerates down considerably... pings good, packet transfer is good.. it's my computer that's having trouble keeping up.

Really the asnwer apparently is to keep updated on the drivers as best as possible (thanks Draco-1) and play with a guile and trickery as your edge rather than a slick as oil framerate. That, and save up for a more modern machine :D