1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Photoshop Terrain Editing

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Tafka, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Tafka

Tafka First architecture... then the world!

I know there have been a lot of threads on this kinda subject, but there doesnt appear to be a definite straight answer out there on this so I thought I'd ask...

How can you edit/create terrain maps in photoshop so that you can open them in unrealEd, apply them as a height map and they can then be refined within the terrain tool?

You can export terrain heightmaps from unrealEd as a bmp but photoshop opened it and it was shades of blue. Taking this file (just from opening and saving it again) didnt go back in to produce the same results as the original height map.

So how do we do this and what exact formats do we have to set up/save as/convert to within photoshop to do this successfully?

Answers on a postcard please:)

2. BmB23

BmB23 Take a pick!

square bmps with a resolution in a power of 2.

Heightmaps are in b&w.

3. Tafka

Shiny! Thanks for the response. Could I clarify which format exactly do I need to set up photoshop with (it has lots of options) for the bitmap? as this has been the source of the heightmap texture import problems. (I believe it is a G16 or something)

Cheers!

4. JonAzz

JonAzz UA Mapper

use the G16 editor, the heightmap must be made in powers of 2. umm i think you might need to use the .raw format or mess around with it.

G16 Editor

5. IronMonkey

IronMonkey Moi?

6. Tafka

Thanks that really helps getting height maps in. If I try editing them inside UnrealEd the map goes all screwy (black patches where I paint etc). Does anyone know why this happens and whether the import is only a one way process?

Cheers!