1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Philips tries to stop viewers channel surfing during ad-breaks

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GotBeer?, Apr 25, 2006.

1. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

Gotta love cdfreaks news section.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13324

This pretty much sums up my feelings:

2. Vers Vlees

Vers Vlees Oohhh a custom title

For you yanks who hate phillips now dont buy Aristona.
    Dont worry sooner or later someone will come up with a crack for that.
    Altough this kind of **** really makes me sceptic of taking Digi Kabel TV.

3. Gumby

Gumby Pretty in Pink!

I don't think philips will be around for much longer if they come up with practices like that tbh

Slight invasion of privacy there by deciding what you can and can't watch...

4. Neddaf

Neddaf Just a flesh wound!

Either they will crumble, or everyone will jump in the bandwagon, either direction won't surprise me.

5. MrSmiles

MrSmiles selimsrm

so if you are watching tv and you change the channel and you turn to a channel with a commercial on you have to watch it before you can continue looking for a show?

6. Cap'n Beeb

Cap'n Beeb Banned

Meanwhile, torrented TV shows can be obtained in higher quality, and commercial free.

7. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

:tup: :clap:

8. daloonie

daloonie sex boobs nude

When are they going to put commercials in between movies on DVD and in Cinema's?

God damnit why can't the end user just be free to watch commercials or not. Redicolous. SO darn tired of such companies that don't understand a 1/16 part of what they force on us end users. I'm sure none of them developing it really wants it either.

9. Syri

Syri Who are you calling short?

I've already got several dvds that came loaded with adverts for other films, that you can't skip... luckily, they didn't disable the fast forward, but it's damned annoying all the same
    We already pay a license fee, pay for the dvd, pay for the cinema ticket... enough of the adverts already! make it subtle and relevent, sure, and non-invasive... but not in your face, can't be avoided rubish that's nothing to do with what you're watching or interested in.

10. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

or Marantz for that matter ...

As for the patent.
    I think that this getting patented is a good thing.
    Just think about it. No one except Philips will be able to create devices with this *eh* 'feature', unless they're willing to pay the license-fees.

A lot of stuff often gets patented for no reason other than to make sure the others can't use the technology.

As for the idea behind the patent ... well what did you expect ?
    Did you really think they are going to let you watch expensive series for free ?
    The media-companies haven't introduced that infamous broadcast-flag for nothing. It stands to reason they're going to find more ways to earn money if you (ie : the viewers) continue to refuse to pay for the content they produce. It's either tons of ads or pay-per-view. Unless someone starts a decent public channel like the British have (imagine that ... no ads, no breaks and great series ... ).

11. namu

namu Bleh.

What will Philips do against my la-la-ears' plugging and bad-monkey-eyes' covering ?

12. Syri

lasers... lots of lasers...

13. mokeh

mokeh Ride for ruin

YOU WOULDNT STEAL A CAR! YOU WOULDNT STEAL A BAG! DONT STEAL MOVIES :mad:

14. Syri

sorry, but I completely fail to see what this has to do with my comment that you quote... maybe you meant to quote beeb's earlier post on torrenting instead? It certainly rings the more true to your comment than my quote on purchasing legitimate films...

15. Cap'n Beeb

Cap'n Beeb Banned

Those sayings are featured in the adverts on DVDs in America.

16. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

Yes and I laugh every time I see them.

17. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

We had those in norway for a little while as well. Lame. Kinda like those ads going "Don't do drugs! School is cool!" and make you think "woah, school is lame now? Man, I need to get into the drug thing too I think".

18. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

I understand why they do it. Even thou I could careless about what they do with PVR/DVR. That's why people have been making their own for years (long before TiVo) Of course, this does affect the un-tech savy group of people.

I'm already in the planning and buying stages of hardware to make my own PVR. And like Beeb said, you can download almost any episode of any TV show in HD and commercial free. Which to be honest, I've been doing as of late. It's just alot easyer than having to zip through commercials and get yelled at by the parents for watching one of "my" programs that they may not be all that intrested in.

And like most people, if this does come to light, I'm sure alot of people won't buy the products or Phillips for that matter.

I really don't like the way these advertising companies are headed. They already have commercials all over the tv. A one hour program is really only 40 mins long, with 20 mins of commercials. It's all over in news papers, internet sites, now games, and in the movie theater now too! wtf. And like stated before, its on DVDs now where you can't skip through them. I don't want to see a car commercial before I watch Lord Of The Rings. It's getting worse. Like the plans to put little 5" color LCD screens in isle ways in grocery stores to get your attention better.

I know they think it's all a subliminal thing, but commercials are so common to me now days, that I completely ignore them. I simply tune them out. I already know what I want. And it's not a new Chevy for 12,999$. They think they are losing all this money...but I guess they havent thought that maybe everyone is just getting really tired of being yelled at over the raido and tv to go buy the lates item. YES THIS WEEKEND ONLY 50% OFF ALL ITEMS COME NOW!!!! BUY THIS!!!! YOU CAN"T MISS THIS!!!!

Another thing, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they actually had sales. But it seems like every single weekend or every week day is a sale. It's just crazy.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  19. Continuum

Continuum Lobotomistician

This reminded me of something.

Last night at about 1:30 AM (ok it was morning) I was trying to sleep but I kept hearing this sound, I couldnt figure out what it was but eventually after the washer turned off I could hear this really annoying ADD! I tried to ignore it thinking someone had a tv or radio on but it sounded a bit to clear eventually I found that I had forgot to turn off my computer speakers and the voice was coming from a F**King popup...

they have now started to broadcast through popups..

20. anaemic

anaemic she touch your penis?

haha i have dvds with that no piracy intro.
    #doom wa-a-wa-a doom wa-a-wa-a#
    and lots of images trying to connotate downloading a dvd with you ending up a dying crackwhore in a backstreet