"Performance" RAM worth it for non-overclockers?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
So I scrapped my original plan to build an LGA-1366 Core i7-920 based rig in favor of waiting until the Lynnfield chips arrive in a couple months. I noticed that a 4GB dual-channel kit of Curcial Ballistix DDR3 is a lot more affordable than the 6 GB triple-channel kit of the same type ($10 more than the base dual-channel kit vs. $50).

I know the Ballistix has a lower latency than the stock parts, but is this benefit going to be apparent to someone who doesn't plan on OCing any of the parts in the computer?

While we're on the topic of stock vs. OCing.... is it a waste of money to buy aftermarket fans/heatsinks? On my last build (Socket 939 Athlon 64) I went with an aftermarket Thermaltake cooler which worked fairly well, but since I didn't overclock, I almost feel like that was an extra $40 that might have had better usage elsewhere. What are peoples' recommendations on these?

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Basically yes.

"Performance" RAM is designed with the idea that you'll be overclocking, or at least manually setting frequency/timings/etc.

Truth of the matter is, you cannot really tell the difference between value & high end RAM in anything other than benchmarks.

In real world use, there's very little difference.

One would notice a far larger difference by OCing their CPU (or getting a better one), a faster HDD (like as SSD), a better video card, etc.

As for heatsink...

If you aren't overclocking the CPU, there's really no point in an aftermarket cooler unless you prefer one for less noise, as the stock ones aren't really silent generally.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
You probably won't notice a difference even if it is faster because hard drives are still slower than ****.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Personally, I try to keep the CPU as cool as possible (Noctua HS on new system and Thermalrights on older systems) and the video card heat spit out the back of case (nice feature for my GTX 280 and used Arctic cooler on my 9800Pro 256MB card).:)

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
The triple-channel RAM should offer better performance than the dual channel, assuming that it's the same sort of improvement that dual channel itself is over single channel. It should be better even if the clock timings are the same.

Another reason for going with a non-stock CPU heatsink besides temperatures is noise. If you're not overclocking then you'd think it's unlikely that the stock one isn't good enough to control the temperature, but getting a quiet heatsink is a big deal to some people.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
The triple-channel RAM should offer better performance than the dual channel, assuming that it's the same sort of improvement that dual channel itself is over single channel. It should be better even if the clock timings are the same.

Assuming you can saturate the bandwidth enough to cause a bottle-neck in dual-channel ;)

Here's an interesting read from Anandtech.com http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3589

Ironically, I saw this shortly after creating this thread and it provided a good answer: CAS latency > memory bandwidth/speed (unless you're doing memory intensive operations). Since the difference in the two sticks I looked at was 2 or more CAS units (whatever that number is measured in) it's probably worth the extra $10-15, assuming prices stay that low on the dual-channel kits until Lynnfield launches.

I'll probably opt for an aftermarket heatsink/fan combo with this new rig. The new designs are a lot more intimidating than the giant block + fan ThermalTake I have on the current machine.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Also, if you just want better RAM and sometimes to get particular timings without overclocking, then you'll want performance RAM. Although, once most people figure this out, then they're overclocking anyway. Me, I don't overclock but use Corsair XMS-type RAM.:)