1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PC Gamers February issue

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by DeathBooger, Jan 13, 2006.

1. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

"Bots will tell you when they've taken the flag, ar attacking a node, or are being overwhelmed."

Don't they already tell you when they've got the flag? I dunno about the other two, but it doesn't seem like its a quantum leap from the current AI...

2. K.N.I.F.E

K.N.I.F.E Dressed in Pink

Well, there goes my hope with UT. It's gone. This is almost as bad as having no necris vehicles.

3. K.N.I.F.E

K.N.I.F.E Dressed in Pink

Actually this is fake. Complete propaganda. Sources just told me.

(My stalking stealth ninja)

4. truegamer

truegamer New Member

Well... it's a good thing that this turned out to be completely fake. Cuz if this was true, I'd officially be boycotting Epic until UT2007 went gold. You know, holding UT2k7 down because of the console equivalent.

5. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Still assuming the worst...

Ignore K.N.I.F.E, it's not fake unless it's officially disproved and is on BU frontpage.

6. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

I guess the original Conquest idea turned out to be too complex to be realized properly and they just cut it down. Pity...

7. rhirud

rhirud Fast learning novice

Yep - sounds like it.

The new problem is, as we were discussing on Titan, is that finding balanced teams for a 2h war is going to be a problem. There isn't an issue if a quick round of ONS is unbalanced; it'll be over in 5 mins. But if the die is cast for 10 rounds on unequal teams; it's going to be awful.

8. truegamer

truegamer New Member

I AM CONFIRMING THIS INFORMATION

I was just at CompUSA and I saw the February issue of PCgamer. The cover boasts a "TOP 10 GAMES OF 2006" story, and UT2007 is one of them (in the top five, if I recall). The little tiny box of info on the game reads as EXACTLY what's posted in the original post. Plus, there's a screenshot of Malcolm (one we've seen already).

I would've bought it, but the bit on UT2007 took up like a third of a page, and wasn't worth the $5 in my opinion.

9. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

The original Conquest smelled an awful lot like Assault. And we all know what a heap of problems that gametype is for new players (even with the improved Assault in UT2k4).

Even ONS can be pretty confusing for a newbie, but at least it's not as downright alien as the objectives are the same in each and every map.

They just yell "I've got the flag" but the location is pure text (and thus easily missed).
    Same applies to "I'm being overrun" and related messages.
    Otoh you never really heard (or could distinguish) between messages meant for you and messages meant for their teammates (altough this was also caused by bots having 4 voices to choose from :()

The idea seems to be that they can really 'talk' to each other as well as the player. I do wonder what will happen to (custom)voicepacks.

10. Israphel

Israphel Sim senhor, efeitos especial

So what's the point of UW then? If we are keeping ONS (albeit and improved version with the gameplay issues that dogged ONS in UT2k4 removed) and then just having bigger/longer ONS and calling it Unreal Warfare...that's not another gametype, merely a modification of an existing one which would only be valid if the existing one was being dropped.

There is simply no point to making ONS games longer and influenced by previous games, as in online play, people will ALWAYS change teams, people will ALWAYS leave the server when its a map they don't like...and besides, what if people don't have two hours to dedicate to one game? What if people come onto a server and find themselves in a match that is being influenced by what happened TWO maps before, and with totally different players...

...It makes NO sense at all.

The whole point of UW was that is was supposed to be all the things that ONS and AS weren't in UT2k4. Sure, keep ONS as it is (gameplay flaws ironed out and all), but UW should be what it was supposed to be. A huge game with various AS-like objectives (blowing up bridges was one that I remember reading), with parts that necissitated on-foot combat, and with a degree of resource management.

If it's true that UW is merely bigger/longer ONS, then it is a great opportunuty lost, and for perhaps the first time in my BUF residency I find myself in agreement with Tool - that UT2k7 will be nothing but a graphical update...

...Still, I don't believe this is all UW will be...Everything Epic have said about it until now contradicts this information which to me reads like a very brief layman description that doesn't go into details.
    And I do admit, that the last part about bringing combat closer is encouraging.

11. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

I think we're less in the territory of newbies and more in the vast, arid realms of the hideously stupid. I too have noticed an abundance of "What am I supposed to do?"-sayers on Assault servers even to this day, but I can't imagine how it could possibly be any easier to grasp. Even if you don't bother to watch the walkthrough movies you can just head for the green circles on your HUD. When the UT2004 demo came out I hadn't played Assault since I first picked up UT over four years previously, which left me about as newbie as you can get. Yet despite not exactly being in the 90th IQ percentile I had little trouble comprehending that the green circles were where I was supposed to be.

It's not about making the game accessible to new players (a concept I'm very much in agreement with, to some extent), but idiot-proofing it. That I don't agree with, stupid people shouldn't be allowed near expensive hardware anyway.

12. Israphel

Israphel Sim senhor, efeitos especial

lol

nice

13. rhirud

rhirud Fast learning novice

I think unreal warfare will mainly be a single player thing. And given that single player was UT2004's main weakness; I think this will help to really sell the game to a broad audience.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=1662023&postcount=71

I dug that old post out. The last point about making interrelated maps; with bonuses passing from one victory to the next was uncannily accurate (but plainly most of my other posts are even moere gibberishy)

14. ThirtySixBelow

ThirtySixBelow tactical inaccuracy

Sounds like it's turning out to be nothing like assault as planned earlier, so ..... damnit :(

15. MrMaddog

MrMaddog Flak Monkey

After reading what Conquest is suppose to be like and how ONS-Warfare is gonna be, I came up with another conclusion besides the PS3 simplification...

Since Conquest sounds more like an RTS game, it may be more complex than what Epic wants to make for the UT gametypes which are just straight shoot-ups (even in objective-based maps). They've always said that they won't do another class-based game like XMP (which should have been given a better chance IMHO) and would rather do stuff like Onslaught which is more leveled. To make Warfare like a BF type game, you pretty much have to at least have weapon loadouts for certain postions cause it's no fun running around for weapons if you decided on either attacking or defending.

It's a shame though that Epic choose to go with an extended version of Onslaught (w/ some Assault thrown in) instead of a C&C:Renegades type of game. I'm still looking forward to it, no doubt! But the best chance to see Conquest as it should have been is through a mod...

16. Riddle_Ace

Riddle_Ace Riddle me this

I really dont understand y are u disapointed....
    I think its better to have sevral ON maps tied down by the outcome of each game, than to have a huge map with sevral fighting fronts....
    I think it will b more PRO to play it like that, and will give you a reward for winning a map.
    Think about it as adding a flexible story line to ONS :)
    Anyhow, you dont have to think the way i do for the following reason:
    I hated PlanetSide... :ooooo Was just too massy and unorgenized.

Long live ET game style!! :p

17. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

People are dissapointed because they thought Unreal Warfare would be a totaly new gametype with onslaught like points and assauld like objectives, but many say its just going to be many onslaught maps chained together, which is basically a spinoff of onslaught which shows no effort from Epic on trying to make the best game ever.

18. BulletProof

BulletProof ...I wish I was

Come on, give Epic a chance before you judge. Saying 2k7 will be nothing but a graphical overhall is offbase. Epic has repeatedly said that they are reworking the core gameplay (the most important part of any UT game) to feel more like the original. Please correct me if I missed something, but all the info that has been collecting about ONS and UW seems to represent a decision by Epic to change the core ONS gameplay to reflect their original plans for UW albeit possibly watered-down; i.e. they are not making the gameplay changes, that had you all excited, exclusive to UW . As some of you have already said b/c of its scale and length, UW is not going to be accessible for all levels of players. And b/c of that this seems to me to be a good decision.

That being said, this little side quote from a magazine does not reveal all that much information and does not confirm or deny much of anything. My point is don't form your opinion of whether 2k7 is going to be a failure or "consoled" based on this info alone.

Have a little faith in Epic, whether you hated UT2k3, 2k4 or the original UT, if you did not think that Epic has gotten something right over the years you would not be here.

19. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Not great news.

That pretty much nails it. I was keen on seeing CON/UW because I didn't like ONS and wanted to try something a little different. But if it's just ONS+ then I'll skip it and stick with DM/CTF.

20. Go&nd

Go&nd Meow

Really, we didn't have any kind of real understanding of the Conquest mode and now we don't have any real understanding of the so-called Unreal Warfare mode.

There's nothing to feel disappointed about because we really don't have any f**king clue what we're talking about (although I appreciate lots of people around here love to pretend they do). :nag:

This is why developers so often just keep their lips sealed until the game is close to completion. You express one tentative concept (which is all Conquest ever was -- a tentative concept) and everyone builds a fantasy around it, without any kind of concrete understanding of how well the concept actually tests or works.