PC Gamers February issue

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
SeiKei @ onscentral.com just posted this on their forums.

NEW MODES:

Producer Jeff Morris tells us: "Unreal Warfare mode now consists of a series of Onslaught matches in which your performance on one map will influence the next map. These [persistent-gameplay effects] can be subtle ---such as changing the vehicles available in the next map ---or major, where the next map itself will be determined by the current match."

SUPER AI: "Friendly AI will be able to call out enemy locations and the weapon they're using," describes Morris. "So if they spot someone using a sniper rifle from a tower, they'll let you know exactly that. Also, we've greatly increased the information a player can derive from chatter. Bots will tell you when they've taken the flag, ar attacking a node, or are being overwhelmed. "

BACK TO UT: "We like the in-your-face fighting from the first UT. In UT 2007, you can still wall-dodge and double-jump but beginners can atleast see the person owning them."" --Article by Corey Cohen

Planned release date: Summer 06

I don't like how Ureal Warfare is turning out, the original ideas seemed to be a lot better.

Last edited:

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
It better be closer to assult that ONS, else I will be pissed. ONS-UW better not equal CTF-BR. I want a new game type, not an added twist to something already shiping with the game.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
So... Now there's ONS and ONS+1? :con:

At least the last part about UT sounds good. I know they've been saying it for awhile but I'm still kinda skeptical about them actually pulling it off.

Vault

May 29, 2005
better to have loved and lost that to never have loved at all i suppose

truegamer

Jul 25, 2005
I think we've known the difference between Onslaught and "Conquest" (UW as it has been recently renamed) since, well, the CGW article half a year ago. We know that UW is like a giant Onslaught match infused with Command and Conquer elements and Assault awesomeness, which is why I personally think that Epic is going to pull it off very successfully.

Onslaught will be bigger though. Nobody likes 2-hour-long matches, which is what UW is starting to sound like.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Turns2Ashes said:
So... Now there's ONS and ONS+1? :con:

At least the last part about UT sounds good. I know they've been saying it for awhile but I'm still kinda skeptical about them actually pulling it off.
It's a 50/50 deal. Anyways, it can't be worse than 2k4's pos play, so it can only get better.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
truegamer said:
Onslaught will be bigger though. Nobody likes 2-hour-long matches, which is what UW is starting to sound like.
I guess my name is 'nobody' then ... because I do like 2 hour long matches.

Still ... until we see what UW really is it's useless to speculate as it will lead to dissappointment in the end.

There's never going to be such a thing as 'new' gametypes, because everything has been done already.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Suddenly not so enthused...

Agreed on the UW thing, the old CON ideas sounded a lot better :tdown:

CON at least sounded as if it could've been suitable for clan play, UW doesn't. I know a lot of people don't like clas etc, but clanplay is important for a lot of people and it keeps people playing longer over the lifetime of a game.

truegamer

Jul 25, 2005
Selerox said:

CON at least sounded as if it could've been suitable for clan play, UW doesn't. I know a lot of people don't like clas etc, but clanplay is important for a lot of people and it keeps people playing longer over the lifetime of a game.

Oh... crap.... they really did suggest a complete change for UW... I guess I should've read the original post.

Any idea on how big this article is?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
SUPER AI: "Friendly AI will be able to call out enemy locations and the weapon they're using," describes Morris. "So if they spot someone using a sniper rifle from a tower, they'll let you know exactly that. Also, we've greatly increased the information a player can derive from chatter. Bots will tell you when they've taken the flag, ar attacking a node, or are being overwhelmed. "

ZOMG the nerd tactic squat.

Having like 6 bots on your team saying they are attacking a node is very stupid.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
I don't see why the originally-proposed Warfare would take 2 hours per game. XMP featured a basic resource management and could be over in two minutes or forty, Assault matches also vary wildly depending on the level of map knowledge and spamming ability.

I think Epic's line of reasoning here is that they're trying to streamline the elements into a more accessible and easily-comprehensible form, and I definitely agree with them on that, but the proposed changes are just no good. They need to focus on Assaultesque objective-based gameplay with the Onslaughty feel of a sci-fi war in my opinion, it's a winner.

Last edited:

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
Selerox said:

What was the old ideas about CON again?? I forgot what it was.

truegamer said:

I dont think you read the story properly, UW is just several ONS matches linked together so that things which happened in previous ones will persist and effect the following matches. The 'War' may last 2 hours, but each match will be the same as a much shorter ONS match. So there is really no difference in actual 'match' length of ONS and UW.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
GG Epic.

Persefone said:
Maybe the original concept of Conquest was too complex for the PS3.

Sad because it's probably true. Despite what Epic say, they'll chose a safe option that'll definitly work on the PS3 over an option that might not make it to consoles. As far as I'm concerne, Epic is focusing equally on the PC and Consoles. Which is exactly what PC gamers don't want.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
So UT2k7 is just a graphics update, wonderful. And we wont even be able to play the game at its best settings for a while anyways. :rolleyes: