1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Paying MOD looking for crew members...

Discussion in 'Recruitment' started by ConstantPhoenix, Aug 22, 2004.

1. ConstantPhoenix

ConstantPhoenix New Member

New MOD looking for crew members...

Hello,
    I am starting a MOD for UT2004 and I am looking for Mappers/Coders/Modelers to do
    Weapons
    Robots
    Monsters
    People
    and other goodies for the maps in the MOD

You don't have to be the greatest out there.
    You could just be starting out, as long as you can do the job and do it right.

I prefer a mapper that can do all custom texture's.

I prefer models that can skin well, but will look at other applicants also.

I can pay real money to any good creators out there, but they must follow my
    conceptual idea [Although there is some room for the artists to be creative in their own way]

The payments will be made as such...
    When a modeler finishes a given model [Without skin[ payment is made

When the skin is done and applyed, payment is made

When the map is well on its way [All major areas a rendered]
    Payment will be made.

When the map is over half complete[All textures are applyed and all that is left are details and touch up's], payment will be made

Coding will be payed as we go.

The money is good, but not like a real game company [At all!!!]
    So don't expect thousands of dollars.Expect hundred's.
    As I expect good work.

If you are interested please contact me at

ConstantPhoenix@hotmail.com

For details

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2004
  2. BinarySystem

BinarySystem Banned

I must admit, the possibility of pay has piqued my interest. However, I (and I'd expect others) would need more information, such as the expectations/scope of the project (to determine how much work this is going to involve), as well as some more concrete information about the economic factors, like where the money would be coming from and how (if at all) you are planning to recoup those costs. Also, some more "real" information about yourself and the organization you represent (if applicable) would be good. (as opposed to relatively anonymous hotmail)

3. ConstantPhoenix

Thats why there is an Email posted.
    Please send me questions there.
    I will not be posting my MOD idea's here nor iis this a proper place to discuss payment.
    I am just a guy that has wanted to desiign a MOD for years and now has some good money to do so.

4. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Let's see... You are going to pay people so they create something you will be releasing without receiving any payment yourself? Pretty generous. :)

5. ConstantPhoenix

It's an investment.
    If all goes well maybe the MOD will make it "big".
    Or the community will be enriched by it.
    I have money, always wanted to make a MOD, have no skills to do so andhave good idea's.
    Also, no one ever "Helps" to make a MOD [That gets done anyhow] without payment of some kind.

6. Shadow_TAT

Shadow_TAT Exit Light, Enter Night

The paying part is a good think and it grabbed my attention. If by any chance u need someone to make Static Meshes for u i could volunteer, but im not a pro in it but i can make good things

7. Dark[NSF]

Dark[NSF] Northwest Secessionalist Forces

Count me in for coder. Email me if you don't get the email I sent.

8. Infguy98

Infguy98 New Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  9. Psyk

Psyk New Member

It's very unlikely the mod will be big enough for you to make money from it. Also since you don't have any modding skills, it's not going to help you get a job in the industry.

Getting payed is very tempting though. Especially since I don't have a job. I'm currently involved in a couple of other projects so I can't be a full time coder. I probably would be able to do a few small things if you need it. Things like weapons are what I'm thinking of.

10. ConstantPhoenix

Well I have thus far found several moders and a map maker.
    I will Email all those interested or PM them.
    Thank you for your interest and replies.

11. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

Whether or not this means anything to you Dark, I will no longer assist you in any posts/ICQ you make here on BuF. Also don't use any of my source code I have given to you in the past, if you have. If you want to know why PM/ICQ me as I don't think people want to know my obscure reasons for this...

12. Dark[NSF]

Dark[NSF] Northwest Secessionalist Forces

It's nothing to take personal, I need money because I'm poor as hell while going to college and all. It's hard to find a job here and I figured this would help pay for my books since I took a loan out.

13. ConstantPhoenix

WEll I PMed or Emailed everyone that was interested.
    Or both.
    Get back to me when as soon as you can.
    Thanks

14. Dimz

Dimz New Member

just to let you know , its illegal to ask for money for services rendered on a modification .

15. BinarySystem

BinarySystem Banned

It is a violation of the EULA to require money in exhange for a modification itself - but that doesn't make it illegal to require money in exchange for programming or art assets.

16. Dimz

Dimz New Member

if its a game mod , it is illegal , some lawyers are smart some are not , but what is a constant is that you cannot exchange money for a mod . its epic's game , if you had any sense youd see that you cant publish it as your own , and therefore cannot exchange money for it .

17. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Programming/models/art belong to those who create them. Epic has some legal ownership over it if it's used in their game (they don't own it, but they have the right to use it), but getting paid to make a MOD is not unheard of, nor is it illegal.

Also, I concur with Solid Snake. If you are getting paid for a professional project, you shouldn't leech off of other people. You will have to find the information yourself.

18. BinarySystem

BinarySystem Banned

Arrrrg.
    What are you talking about??

Game mods aren't illegal. Programming is not illegal. Creating art assets is not illegal. Just because you can't sell your mod does not, in any way, relate to paying people to work on it. That's like saying it's illegal to cut a prostitutes hair, ("working on" the prostitute) because the prostitute selling him or herself (the "final product") is illegal.

19. Dimz

Dimz New Member

dude i wont even argue with ya , youre dense

paying people to work for game mods = illegal , end of story .

20. BinarySystem

BinarySystem Banned

Personal attacks aren't really much justification for what you're saying. Can you provide a reference to some state or federal legislature under which a person might be charged for paying people to create a MOD, or perhaps cite a case where a ruling to that effect was made?