Path of Exile Public Weekend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Path of Exile is a diablo-like that has been in closed beta for a while now. I have been playing it occasionally, it's an interesting variation on the Diablo model.

The basic system is there are three core attributes - strength, dexterity, or intelligence. There are currently five character classes which are either based purely on one attribute or a combination of two:
  • Marauder - Strength
  • Ranger - Dexterity
  • Witch - Intellect
  • Duelist - Strength/Dexterity
  • Templar - Strength/Intellect

There is currently no Dexterity/Intellect character.

The base attribute essentially dictates your place on the passive skill tree. Each section of the tree is dedicated to one of the attributes, and you can work your way across the tree from any of the starting points and start placing points into it. The passive skill tree is kind of big. Most of the things here are things like % increases to health or +10 points to the stat or increased attack speed or accuracy.

Active skills are obtained through gems. Each piece of equipment has slots, and each slot is either red, blue, or green, corresponding to a particular attribute. Each gem is similarly colored. Gems level up as they gain XP, which they gain as you gain XP. When a gem levels up you have to tell it to increase its level. This is because each gem level requires a certain amount of the stat they are tied to, and you may not have that yet. Eventually there are passive gems that boost the active gems, and must be slotted in linked slots. If you have played Final Fantasy 7, this concept is pretty similar to linked materia slots.

The hardcore/normal system is pretty simple. In hardcore, if you die, your character goes to normal. You have a hardcore stash and a normal stash, and you cannot access either from the opposite setting.

I haven't logged in for a couple of weeks, but last I checked there was still no friends system in place. I am hoping they get that added if it hasn't already been added. They already shined up the quest/map system and its pretty much exactly like in Diablo 2, which is fine by me.

Anyway, it's pretty fun and I think it will be free to play once it's released. I am not sure about that. It's definitely worth trying, here's the info for the public weekend:

http://www.pathofexile.com/publicweekend/

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Oh, I almost forget economy stuff.

There is no gold in this game. Selling items to a vendor will get you orbs or parts of orbs or other such items. Basically each item enhances some equipment in some way. Some are more valuable and sought after than others. The other basic items are - you guessed it - scrolls of identify and scrolls of town portal. I think they're called something different. Same concept, though. They also have "scrap" pieces that once you collect enough become a full scroll.

That pretty much covers it.