[Pariah] Curios comments in UC source code

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Note: some of the phrases below contain abusive language. Don't blame me - it's raw copy-paste, but try to understand the poor coders.

Some curious comments, found in Pariah UC source codes, have a nice reading:

Main menu class:
  • This is the "PRESS START / INSERT COIN menu"
Menu base class:
  • There's a whole 'lotta magic ass in here.
  • EditBoxes are really only useful on PC! They can be used on console but it SUCKS.
  • (about WidgetLayout struct) To use these sexy bitchez you gotta make one in your MenuDefaults class and call it the style name;
    you can also put this structure in your local menu class but that is sloppy and ill-advised. Pass this name to the LayoutArray or LayoutWidgets and you're rockin. I would have made it pass the struct ref but UnrealScript sucks my ass and you can't pass structs from other objects to native funcs.
  • Non-zero properties aren't overwritten; this is why you'll see some double-negative booleans, Vlad forgive me.
XboX menus:
  • (after SetTimer(0.25, true);) Pump, pump, pump that task!
  • Move this bad boy off the screen! We ship in 5 minutes.
  • Now it's time to kick off the answer. It _might_ be better to do this after all the query bull**** but we submit tomorrow so let's play safe!
  • Ok! Wait for the magic to happen!
  • paranoid..
  • jim: Glen made me do it! Custom maps should always start with X
  • (log string in test fucntion) Dedicated Server started. This is some test data! It happens to be a really long line, which is totally cool.
  • Check out my drunken style. "_" == " "
  • TODO: Sex me up!
  • Hot damn! State changes!!
MP menus:
  • It seems that these are a little poo :( Not really needed either!
  • I apologize in advance for the lack of elegance found here.
Settings menus:
  • Yay! A bNoNotReducedGore variable.
  • To actually apply the bulk of these settings we need to kick the D3D driver!
  • (XboX controls) God, I just need a sweet bitch.
XGame package:
  • an uncommented "log("bitch");" in FilterPlayerRecords class. however I think it's not used - it's just a leftover from UT200x
  • Hacky way to get this stat...
  • (log output from ChangeCharacater exec) THIS IS A DEBUG FUNCTION ONLY, DO NOT CALL THIS FUNCTION EXCEPT FOR TESTING, ALSO, EXPECT IT TO MALFUNCTION.
  • bloody animators making our code all ugly
  • This file is the class which outputs the "you already got the bleh" weapon message if you run over it
  • Q: friendly fire, what to do?
    A: Rather have a really good shot than a really stupid one
  • Clobber old script with new one... let the garbage collector deal with the old script.
  • something has gone wrong...
UnrealGame package:
  • bad! bad! bad!
  • at least make DefaultPlayerClass a string in TeamInfo so we can dynloadobect on it goddamnit!
  • Bot(SquadLeader).SoakStop("UNHAPPY BECAUSE THERE ARE ONLY "$num$" ASSAULTPATHS TO "$SquadObjective);
  • MH: OH MY ****ING GOT THIS IS TERRIBLE AND i DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT I'M doing. but the e3 build is in 17 minutes
PariahSP:
  • Oh dear... this is rape and paste from xPawn
  • jim: BEGIN gay root motion hack
  • We dont want the legs to be left behind
  • oh****, driving a car!
  • ugly duplicity with profiles
  • this is horrible - rj
  • zero hour hack
  • sjs - shameful.
  • jim: Disable radar until art is finalized and performance optimized. (heh, no radar in the end - the code is still commented out)
Gameplay package:
  • this wasn't implemented for karina (direct derivative of this class) - so... copy paste hell fix for karina ignored in ch1
Engine:
  • Log("Ya!");
  • ...this block of code is just wrong...
  • my head hurts
    don't worry, this struct doesn't get replicated in its entirety anymore
  • cmr -- a function for repossessing a pawn that you recently unpossessed; skips a bunch of ****e that ****s things up.
  • mjm - If we have the gun already then say you picked up some ammo, otherwise, you picked up the gun. ARGH!! We can't do it here, cause it happens too late... come back to this later if I have time.
  • CMR - short circuiting the announcer for E3 build
  • just for testing framerate hit!!
  • Mikes magic function attempting to make farther distances drop off quicker.
  • FIXME HACK!!!
  • log("I'm not dead yet...");
  • todo: this statement is just a hack for some problem in the spectacting logic...
  • BBTODO find a non hack way of doing this
  • CMR - albhalbhalbhabhalbhalh
    CMR - same as above but if gunner
  • For minied but can't put it somewhere believe me
  • cmr -- oh jesus. This is so that I can manually reverse rotate a rider in the physRiding()
  • temporarily allow network players to fully regen ammo until the ammo stations are complete
  • FIXME what if killer died before killing you
  • WARNING - don't prevent bot suicides - they suicide when really needed
  • blow up into little pieces (implemented in subclass)
  • don't let corpse ride around on someone's head
  • tell us that we want to be respawned - NOW!; needs to be overriden to do anything useful
  • gam -- this _might_ cause problems. Blame Goose.
  • This is a lovely hack that allows us to bind space to "Select" but have it still work with editboxes and key auto-repeat.
  • Brutal hack! (leftover from UT200x)
  • Ultra hardcore haxxor. Is the video given by sVideoName appear lower or higher on the list than sLastSkippableVideo in the player controller? If so, allow skip. If not, don't skip, add to list and save via triggering a multi-timer.
  • Overridden higher for more sex:
  • purely for visual effect
  • send an event to trigger actors so they know team symbols have been selected (yes, this is evil, LD's need to go through all levels and make all monitors (not DOM monitors) and banners have the same tag...)
  • amb: hack-a-hack
  • log("CHARLES SAYS HEY LEVEL DESIGNER, YOU MOST LIKELY HAVE A VEHICLE PAD WITH A TEAM INDEX GREATER THAN 1. TEAMS ARE 0 AND 1");
  • gam --- this may **** us right up but I can't see why...
  • telefrag ended the game with ridiculous frag limit
  • EnhancedVisionShader: For now turns the screen to grapyscale but we'll improve on that when time allows
  • cmr -- wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • note: if it does exist somewhere already let me know (xmatt)
  • (before commented out low gore-related variables) don't think we'll be using low gore?!?!
  • don't think we have a blood effect for vehicles?!?!
  • cmr -- probably shouldn't be here, but for consistancy and cohesiveness, it is. FUFUFUFUFU
  • (in Engine.Console) C.Style = 4; // WHY THE **** DOESN'T ERenderStyle.STY_Modulated WORK???
  • var transient bool bK829CompCheck; // horrible flag used for BB 829 backwards compatibility
  • TODO: REMOVE THESE BEFORE SHIP. THEY ARE HANDY FOR DEBUGGING AND USED FOR NOTHING ELSE. (despite this comment, these two vars left in the code, and they're even not commented out =) )
  • SetBoneDirection
    params: Space
    0 BoneTurn is in LOCAL coordinates
    1 BoneTurn is in WORLD coordinates
    note: function desc added by xmatt because. Lazy ass-clingers that don't explain they functions should be ass-sabotaged and throwned to the lions (xmatt)
  • @@@ FOR SOME REASON THIS PREVENTS A CRASH
Core:
  • gam --- Forgive me :(
  • amb --- simulated for debugging only! TODO: remove simulated keyword later (again, "simlated" modifier left over)
  • Only bitch if we're replacing more than 1 char -- typically safe to suppress that warning.

Last edited:

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
That was on some of the XboX screens. They just set X in that element's location on canvas to 2.5 (in UnrealEngine Canvas' top left is X:0, Y:0 and bottom right is X:1, Y:1. Middle of the screen is X:0.5, Y:0.5) so it is rendered but it is faaar awayfrom the screen.