[OT] Decimal numbers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Continued from this thread.

tarquin said:
It really does make a huge difference to file size, though, as I saw earlier today with my map: 1,200MB instead of 1,900MB!
Just so you know, that reads to me as twelve hundred MB, not one and two tenths of a MB. (Dang, that's one big map.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
I'd get used to it, there's a sizeable number of people out there (that I've seen) who use the comma as a decimal seperator and the period to group each set of 3 digits, as opposed to the more standard opposite of that. I was under the impression it was dominantly a scandinavian thing though, am I wrong about that?

KrazyK

Mar 22, 2001
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
The Germans do it too, I know that for sure. I believe a good part of Europe exchanges the comma and the period when i comes to numbers. Hmmm, I wonder how long it would take a 1200 meg map to load? :lol:

Mychaeel

Birelli said:
as opposed to the more standard opposite of that.
Note: The U.S. way of doing things !== the standard way of doing things.

In Germany, the standard way is using a comma as the decimal separator and grouping digits with either a point or a small space. Only when I'm writing decimal numbers in an English-spoken context, I use a point as the decimal separator and a comma to group digits.

Localization is a tricky subject. Just have a look at the "Regional and Language Options" dialog in the Windows control panel.

Last edited:

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
I don't think it's a strictly U.S. way of doing things, maybe it's more of an English-speaking thing? I seem to remember most U.K. people I've talked to also use the period as a decimal seperator. I'm just curious about it, it seems like there's a lot of potential for confusion. In the case of a map size it's funny, but with less standard things it could be a problem.

Ravu al Hemio

Comes, fixes, leaves.
Sep 1, 2004
Austria
Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia... all put commas as a decimal sign and a space as a thousands separator.

Let's say we have one million point five.
U.S.: 1,000,000.5
Europe: 1 000 000,5