1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ordering from Overseas.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Keganator, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

So, I've planned on getting Far Cry for a while now. I also know that I do not want to buy the 5 CD set that is normal for the US distrobution of the game, and instead would rather have the DVD version, distributed in the UK/europe.

So, I can get it here for, apparently, 28.94 GBP (after shipping costs). I understand that this is a bit more than I can buy the CD version for (about $53.87 according to XE.com's currency converter), but this is not an issue for me.

What is an issue is whether my credit card account will work. They accept mastercard (my card's brand), but will it understand the currency exchange? Seeing as I've never ordered overseas before, I'm a bit of a novice as to how this would work, whether there'd be a fee, or whether it wouldn't work at all, that kind of thing.

Edit: Do any of you know of any other sources for the DVD version of Far cry? :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  2. meeba

meeba lurking drop bear

i've used my brit credit card to order from the states a couple times, it appears on my statement as dollars, and under that the conversion rate

i reckon you'll be fine, although i dont know if yer bank will add any charges ontop

3. Nightmare

Nightmare Only human

Credit cards work. The currency is handled automatically. I can't say if Mastercard charges you anything extra for it. They shouldn't, as you already pay them to keep the card.

4. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

I haven't noticed anything in the way of extra handling fees for overseas purchases on my mastercard.

5. Spier

Spier 1

If you buy the CD version then you can download the DVD version for free off the internet. Legally.

I orderd quite a bit of stuff from the states when the dollar was even weaker than now; didn't have any problems.

6. TheShiningWizard

TheShiningWizard Because it's more fantastical.

7. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

All the books i have ever bought, 20pct of my games collection, the last 8 video cards and half the parts on my CBR were all ordered by credit card payments and they came mostly from the US. That should answer your question.
    PS, I have a Master Card as well and it does cost me 15ct per transaction regardless of the currency, also if you use paypal or somrthing similar i think thry are stiffing you on thr rxchange rate. MC seems spot on though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  8. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=127283

Always try play.com
    Gameplay.com, gameplay.co.uk, game.co.uk you should check as well.

Good thing about play.com though is that all deliveries are free.
    I ordered Viewtiful Joe from them for 24 euros delivered, got it in 5 days. (if you're lucky you will get it in 3, otherwise in 5 days).

9. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Thanks. :) I can't seem to find any US stores carrying it...it's shame. I mean, DVD drives can be bought for $15 now, and they still insist on releasing the games via 3, 5, 6, or more cds...

10. TheShiningWizard

TheShiningWizard Because it's more fantastical.

You could also try eBay. I've ordered from Brits several times, and PayPal makes it quite easy.