1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Opera Internet Browser 7.50 final released

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Derelan, May 12, 2004.

1. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

Opera, the popular "Every feature" free internet browser, has just released a major new version. Some new features are:

However, most of the smaller, less important features will be more noticed.
    The browser, commonly brought up in debates along with FireFox[/r], features flawless popup blocking, multi-tab skinnable interface, a mail client, a chat client, complete and quick configurability, and the fastest rated page loading time. The free version includes banner ads at the top, a purchased registry key disables these.

Download Opera 7.50 for free
    View changelog

*awaits heated firefox vs opera debate*

2. TheShiningWizard

TheShiningWizard Because it's more fantastical.

My "Fuck Microsoft" is better than your "Fuck Microsoft"! :p

3. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

I cannot go back to IE myself. I use opera 7.5 since the Techonology preview release.

4. Infguy98

Infguy98 New Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  5. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380307

Edit:
    Code:
    about :config
    doesn't seem to work here. hmmm have to look at that.

Edit: Its about:config no space

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=53650&highlight=nglayout
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=76546&highlight=nglayout
    http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  6. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

i think someone tried to write a GUI internet browser in QBASIC. It didn't work.

7. mat69

mat69 just fooling around

Thank you for the tips benmcl, Firefox feels much faster now. :)
    I prefer Firefox over Opera (last version I have is 7.22) because there is too much stuff in the menus, I'm searching most times. :D
    I like it plain and simple (where I can modify everything) :)
    But I'll give 7.50 a try.

Edit: At the first glance 7.50 seems to be much better sturctured than the old versions were.

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  8. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

Well my favorite features of Opera are the "Open in background tab page" right-click option, dynamic fast post-everything zoom (even on flash and movies!), and the ability to place small icons for quick links right next to your address bar. The last time i tried firefox (or whatever it was called back then, Firefly or FlamingBagOfSh*t), it didn't have any of those features, and it was slower. I'm not going to bother hunting down plugins on the depths of the internet for features that it should have.

9. erehwoN

erehwoN The Bass Ackwards BTL

I started using Firefox (and Thunderbird) a few weeks ago. I really like the clean interface, but it was a hassle having to install extensions. But, the ones I got are pretty slick. I've had Opera for a long time, just don't use it a whole lot. I'm not a fan of the ads.

10. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

11. erehwoN

erehwoN The Bass Ackwards BTL

That's pretty nifty.

12. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Very nice. WHat I also like about Opera is the mouse gestures... now I can almost dedicate my keyboard to my Linux machine and my mouse to my Windows machine ;).

13. BobTheFearlessFish

BobTheFearlessFish New Member

yeah. i love opera. is great. mouse gestures are wonderful. the only thing i hate is the email system. i dont mind that they decided to try a new concept. its just that i like having my email as part of my browser. and i hate their system.

14. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

"Remove" the email client/chat in tools/preferences/program and paths/ uncheck the check box "shox email client"

15. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

friend of mine turned me on to opera a year or two ago.. never looked back since, though i think i did prefer the older versions that were more "simplistic" being a dial up user i really like the feature where you can turn imagines off or partially off so you can load things up much faster.

16. sandworm

sandworm [UMC] E-something

I've heard of a lot of people preferring firefox's minimalistic interface compared to Opera's default, but Opera can be configured just as simply.

Here's mine shaved down to my bare essentials:

Attached Files:

17. mat69

The difference is that you have to remove things.
    I am adding those things I like.

All the menus are too "filled", the RM is also not really "clean" imo.
    Opera has some nice features like "tile" but for me it is just too confusing. I don't have a problem creating my own menus with Firefox, managing the entries ...
    And finally I just want a browser (without advertisment --> no I won't pay for Opera) not more and not less.

I don't want to ask anyone to use Firefox, I just think everyone should use what he likes but should know the alternatives (only knowing IE can be a mistake nowadays).

18. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

i'd quickly switch to firefox any day if it had an "open in background tab" and equally efficient popup blocking.

[edit] nevermind, i just downloaded it and noticed it had changed dramatically. It is still missing the dynmaic zooming feature of opera, but its still nice. Was a pain to migrate my bookmarks tho. I'll try it out for the next week or so and see how it is. Can't be too bad if it uses the same javascript code as IE. Windowsupdate.com still refuses it though ;)

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  19. mat69

I recommend to use these extentions: CuteMenus v0.3 ( also click tricks), MouseGestures (if you use them with Opera) ... then it should be more like Opera. But there are so many extentions (or changing some values in the files) that you have enough ways to customize Firefox the way you want it to be.

20. NotBillMurray

NotBillMurray It's Suntory Time!

Hey there guys. I'd like to introduce myself - I'm an Opera retard. Perhaps you can help me get comfortable through some customization. I'm sure most of these are easy, but I'm an Opera retard.

1. I'd like to have the download window stay in the back ground. It keeps coming up if I donwload something. How can I stop it?
    2. Is it possible to assign a mouse button or easy click option to Quick Download a link? Ideally something like Middle Mouse to quick download?
    3. Could I have a toggle option (like a quick preference?) that would allow me to force links that try to open in a new window instead open in the existing window?
    4. Any chance of modifying the corresponding mouse waving results? Like changing one to Save Target As or Quick Download?

Anything you guys could suggest would be a big help.