OpenGL probs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[121st]Burton

full-auto SIG abuser
Feb 7, 2000
System: AMD 900 Mz TBird / 256 MB / ASUS 7700 Geforce2 GTS / newest Detonators / newest OpenGL drivers for UT

I ran INF in OpenGL to test the performance. With about 40 FPS most of the time everything and the Graphics being a lot better than in D3D everything seemed to be find.

Then I played EP an saw this:
shot002.jpg

These dark rectangels change, when you move. Sometimes they are visible, sometimes its okay. On long ranges some decorations disappear, too.
Did someone have the same probs ?
I really would like to play INF in OpenGL but with these bugs its just horrible.

Khral

Jun 27, 2001
Naw, it happens to me too. I've got an ATI Rage Pro card. It's not exactly your typical hardcore gaming setup but it's adequate. Since I've got somewhat dated iMac, I play it on the lowest texture and skin setting and get the same effect under Rave mode. It mostly occurs in long distances, especially when using a scope.

Also from what I hear OpenGL is worse than Rave in UT. Texture quality may appear a tad better, but you suffer significant FPS droppage and it consumes a greater amount of memory. Since Rave and OpenGL almost appear identical, I suggest you give Rave a try instead (or whatever alternative rendering device your card supports (pardon my ignorance) ). Luckily those nasty blinking areas don't appear on most maps.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
OpenGL is pretty damn flaky. Have you tried the Unreal Technology page for the updated OpenGL.dll they put out?

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
This is the life of an OpenGL user and UT/INF

Yes, if you don't play UT/INF in GLide (3dfx) then expect imperfect graphics. Open GL will give an overall better quality of picture than D3D, but the fps suffers greatly, and OpenGL still has its quirks. Expect updates from Epic, tho.
Personally I would rather use OpenGL for its enhanced graphics quality, but does anyone know how to change Advanced settings in OpenGL without crashing UT/INF? The Unreal Technology Page says to make your UnrealTournament.ini settings a certain way, which is directly related to the Advanced Settings. When I try to change the settings to increase fps the game crashes only to work again when I reinstall (the entire UT package). I have posted this on another Forum but zero answers.

Oh yeah and I have the new UT OpenGL drivers and new Detonator drivers for my 32m Nvidia GeForce2 GTS (p4 1.7, 256 RAM) and am only trying to change simple things like turning Vertex Fog on/off...

[121st]Burton

full-auto SIG abuser
Feb 7, 2000
GL will give an overall better quality of picture than D3D, but the fps suffers greatly...
No. I have about 40 FPS in D3D and OpenGL. In some places OpenGL is a bit faster, but with lots of bots in the game D3D works better.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
Dunno DialaJunk my best advice would be to make the changes only one at a time til you find the culprit(s) and leave those alone. Also are you editing in game or out? I used to crash everytime I tried changing setting in game now I just edit the .ini by hand then run the game.

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
To [121st]Burton: Looks like we have very different machines. How are your Advanced settings configured? I have recently noticed that in reg. UT I can't see the glass textures in OpenGL. Don't know why, but I'd like to fix it. SOrry I can't directly help you.

To LCJr.: Actually I tried editing in game and editing the .ini by hand, both have the same consequences. And I was just changing one thing at a time. Wierd:rolleyes:

I've never used much of anything but Glide b4 until my old system pooped out on me, and now I have a GeForce2 GTS. I really only have problems with UT and its mods, tho (too bad it's my favourite game!!) Oh well. I shouldn't have this problem with a GeForce 3 and U2 with INF. *drool*

Forgot to mention, [121st]Burton do you get strange 'zebra' textures in D3D with high tex. quality? (world textures that is)

--==air_man==--

Jan 3, 2001
my problem with it is i can't seem to get brightness to change at all using any program associated with UnrealTournament. At least the ugly textures are fixed... but it's really hard to see blue on black now with extra dark screen heh heh

[121st]Burton

full-auto SIG abuser
Feb 7, 2000
What "Advanced Settings" ?
I changed the inf.ini entries like in the readme discribed and set TNT=1.
Zebra Textures ? No. I dont think so. The only bug I have is the one I postet above.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
I really want to know how to get D3d to run. You all say It has better performance...
When running d3d, I get a strange delay when moving the mouse, as well as a horrible slowness all around.

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
To [121st]Burton:
The Advanced Settings I am referring to are the ones that are changed when you change the .ini. They are the same thing. They are called Advanced Settings 'in' game and when not playing you access those in the .ini . They are exactly the same thing. If you are trying to say that YOU are too advanced to KNOW of an advanced setting, then, nice joke :)- Now, when I try to change those settings from what the UT OpenGL readme says, the game crashes and cannot be changed back unless I completely reinstall or fresh install UT and INF. It happens on both games, of course. This is screwy I thought because on the same web site, the Unreal Technology web site, it says that if I want to gain extra frames in OpenGL to change certain things. Is it coming together now? How do I change it if it just crashes everytime? I've tried it both in and out of game.
And if that's the only problem you have with the game in OpenGL then you are lucky. I guess you get what you get with OpenGL. In direct 3d i get a lot of zebra textures unless I go to low or medium world textures or 16 bit color. 16bit color looks like $hit on D3D (my experience, all I know are my experiences not yours, but our problems may be related in that we both don't know WTF is causing it all):eek:

To Yurch:
Explain more, what card?, is the slowness in fps terms or slowmotion terms? Have you set your direct input correctly for your machine? Mess with your mouse software i.e. try turning it off or on, whatever the case may be.

To psychKILLER: I had that problem with a TNT2 card b4 and fised it with all upgraded drivers. That;s all I can tell you right now about that.

Last edited:

[121st]Burton

full-auto SIG abuser
Feb 7, 2000
These are my .ini settings:
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
RefreshRate=75
DetailTextures=1
UseTrilinear=1
UseS3TC=0 <= changed by me
UseTNT=1 <= changed by me
LODBias=0
UseMultiTexture=1
UsePalette=1
UseAlphaPalette=0
Translucency=1
VolumetricLighting=1
ShinySurfaces=1
Coronas=1
HighDetailActors=1
MaxAnisotropy=0
AlwaysMipmap=0
UsePrecache=1 <= changed by me
SupportsLazyTextures=0
I switched back to D3D (16bit), because I needed to see distance doors and with OpenGL I only could see some black rectangles.

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
I am about to switch back to D3D too. I am sure there is a way to fix the visual crap that it gives me, while keeping the superior frame rate. Probably something I missed in the video card, and then must compensate in the Advanced settings to match. Ugh.

--==air_man==--

Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by DialAJunk
To psychKILLER: I had that problem with a TNT2 card b4 and fised it with all upgraded drivers. That;s all I can tell you right now about that.
I just discovered today that with updated opengldrv.dll from unreal.epicgames.com I get to change brightness... but this one makes the textures look like crap in game... funny thing screen shots look normal. I need a version that came just before this new opengldrv.dll (no "black screen at exit" fix). If anyone has a version before May 9, 2001 but after the one released on the UT CD, can you send me an instant message on AIM ( nookiegc ), or an ICQ msg ( 69027014 ).

Thx.

--==air_man==--

Jan 3, 2001
didnt fix my problem though. funny thing is... if you install (in my case) the driver from the UT cd you have:
good scenery
no brightness adjust (cept monitor which i dont wanna)

newest one (may 9)
horrible looking, especially in dark areas (but not shown when screenshot take)
brightness adjustable