OpenAL audio driver problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
I've recently switched to using the OpenAL audio driver, as suggested in crowze's thread, but i've noticed something really annoying with it : it adds a lot of reverb to all sounds, including outdoors. I tried disabling the reverb in the ini but it doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to make it sound not like there's a firefight in my bathroom ?
For the record, my souncard is a soundblaster live! (yeah i know it's old). Here are my ini settings :
[AlAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
ALDevices=DefaultDevice
DopplerFactor=1.000000
UseOriginalUnreal=True
SoundVolume=200
UseReverb=False
AmbientFactor=0.700000
MusicVolume=0
Channels=64
OutputRate=48000Hz
UseDigitalMusic=True

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Same soundcard here ant. OpenAL doesn't work well with it. Channels are getting played back double, so the sound is phased and you're using two channels for each sound. Reverb you can switch off btw but i don't have my settings here. The FMod does work good, i use it too.

I'll post my settings when i'm home in a few days if you still haven't fixed it.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
It's not fixed, and i'm not sure it can be. I guess the galaxy driver just works best for this soundcard.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Should i just stick the dll in my system directory and change the ini audio line accordingly ? I'll try that.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
FMod is much better, thanks for the tip. Btw you should mention it in your sticky crowze, and while you're at it, correct the WP version to 1.51.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
I used to use FMod since a while but due to new sound (nividia onboard) I gave OpenAL another try.

It seems to be more detail rich (i.e. I can exactly hear wear shells of fired bullets hit, even their bouncing) but alot of sounds seem completely "out of line" (in lack of a better expression).

Sometimes nade explosions sound extremly dull, next time (just a little different position) they sound normal (what I'm used to). Furthermore I get lot of strange high pitch noises which I can hardly guess their origin.

---

For both of those sound engines I can pick neither 32 channel ,"use 3d Hardware" or "use surround" (Inf will put it back to 16, no ,no)

Any ideas? Can someone provide good settings?