UE1 - UT Open Space- Ways to optimize?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Good Doctor F

Detailed BSP Recoveree
Jan 23, 2011
www.atomiccrowbar.com
Curious little scamp aint I ;)

This time, I'm wondering how much of an influence open space has on performance for UT and if it does, how I can optimize it while still maintaining my illusion of depth. I of course have the "fake backdrop" property on the walls of my main subtractive brush, but to give the illusion of height, I've had to make some big additive brushes and I'm wondering if thats making my file size bigger as well.

Heres a pic of the whole thing so far.
emptyspacepartioning.png

tl;dr version

How much of an impact does empty space have on performance of a map and if so, how are some ways I can better use the empty space/optimize it.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
the additive brush for the Helicopter should be SemiSolid because its creating unnecessary zone portals which can slow down performance in the visible area.

making huge brushes doesnt increase file size, making and placing several brushes does.

The Good Doctor F

Detailed BSP Recoveree
Jan 23, 2011
www.atomiccrowbar.com
I cant make the helicopter semi solid cause it uses a subtractive brush for the interior (which players can teleport to from the helipad)

Its reliving to know though that empty space doesn't play a part in a larger file sizes.

And so far, I like to think that this first map of mine is coming along pretty well. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
you have to make the helicopter and the subtracted part in it into a PREFAB.

--make a subtracted cube outside the map and place the helicopter with the subtracted brush in the middle of it.
--right click on the cube and pick the option 'Polygons>To Brush' so the helicopter is surrounded by the red builder brush.
--then just click on the 'Intersect' button.
--Once the red builder brush took the form of the helicopter all you do is Export it as a prefab which comes out a .t3d file in the Brush menu on the browser.

Once you got the prefab made you need to import it and make it a SemiSolid Pillar brush.