[Op-Ed] "The Pointlessness of Current Videogame Journalism"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Enfyrneaux

Apr 4, 2002
Later this afternoon
Visit site
Most of you are already aware of this, but in any case you might find this article at TwitchGuru to be rather interesting in spite of any insane run-on sentences that I keep spotting :p.

It's more of a rant than anything, but it does have some good points that I have quoted below:
TFA said:
Why this sudden wave of self loathing and revulsion? (Well, to sensationalise it somewhat... I'm not going to cut my fingers off anytime soon as some frustrated artists, with emphasis on the "i", have been known to do.) Well I've just been a bit late coming to the conclusion that the formulaic, child-minded writing-for-the-lowest-common-marketing-denominator style that encapsulates 99% of the mainstream videogame press is a load of crap.

[...]

Apart from a few scolding incidences where old scores are settled via poor previews, such as with the now rather old Red Faction 2, sequel to a game which many magazines ran previews on their covers with such exultations as "Move over Half-Life!" only to have to then quietly do a one page review of the terrible final product tucked away at the back of the publication, most previews are sugar coating.

[...]

I would contest that it is at preview time where the press can make the most positive contribution to an otherwise poor game - with constructive criticism, and not, mind, the opposite of the sugar coating we see now and simple-minded trashing of seemingly poor games, the press can affect the thinking of developers so that the final product will be much better received than it would be with great previews and then trashy reviews, which takes away from the standing of the publication as well as sinking many the game.

[...]

Rather than being critics who add to the industry as film and music journalists arguably did back in the heady days of the 50's - 70's (though there's a whole other debate in the state of those two branches of critical journalism these days and in the past) videogame journalists are mere extensions of the marketing machine, pushing even the most mediocre of games into a good light with the public in previews and then trashing them for sport to see how many good puns can be dredged out of the 500 words which the author really doesn't want to have to write.

[...]

Discuss.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
videogame journalists are mere extensions of the marketing machine, pushing even the most mediocre of games into a good light with the public in previews and then trashing them for sport to see how many good puns can be dredged out of the 500 words which the author really doesn't want to have to write.

I agree with this sentence 100%. Example would be Turok Evolution. Yeah the game was mediocre at best(depending on what console you got it for), but gamespot and even IGN made it sound like it was a pretty decent game in there numerous previews. Then when the final review came out, they tore it to hell. I dont trust reviews anymore. I have a few games that were given 6's and to me they were worthy of at least 8's.

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
You can't belive everything you read. Big sites like IGN have advertising and a clear bias because of it. Kind of off topic, but I just installed Microsoft Encarta 2006 Premium and I couldn't belive the Pro-MS rants in some of the technology articles. I prefer reviews from smaller sites. I'm not slamming IGN, just saying look for the bias in what you read and you will be a more informed consumer.