ooh ooh, a cool new map!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
G

howdy
just finished my map and i was wondering if you guys could give me a little feedback. i've been playing against bots, but they don't exactly act like people, so i couldn't really tell how well the map works, sooo...anyone wanna try it for me?

ftp://map:map@165.230.136.200/

i've got the map and the 3 texture packages. office.utx is mine, and i'm not sure where the other 2 are from, i think the sob map pack maybe. well anyway, i've got em separate, or all zipped up.
Thanks guys!
Lost

btw-no real story, basically "bad guys upstairs, go kill 'em"

[This message has been edited by Lost (edited 02-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Lost (edited 02-16-2000).]

G

When you post there is a link to the left of the box that says 'UBB Code is ON', click on it and itll tell you how to post links pics and all that good stuff. Youll also want to be sure to click the no smiles part, as itll read parts of the FTP addy as a smile. Why dont you redo your link, and Ill delete my post, so therell be less confusion.
CC

------------------
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:

http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

[This message has been edited by coffeycan (edited 02-16-2000).]

farrp

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
I'm a sucker for office style maps but this one is very cool. Needs a few things in my opinion. More textures and details. Like carpet for the floors grafitti on the parking lot walls, maybe a car or two. How about a roof with a sniper rifle...ahhhh, maybe not. But definitely some more detail. I bulletin board, trash cans, more 2nd/3rd floor windows (breakable ones). That should just about do it.

Just so you know, you've done a fun map. But when I see a map like this, I can stop being critical, so add some more STUFF and re-release it.

Kisel /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

G

Nice start, here what I would suggest:

Watch your scale, try to use the 3rd person view at time to see if you have it right. For instnace the curbs in the garage ar huge, as are the cubicles. The stairs are very steep and Id widen out the hallways.

Do one of two thing with the outside: 1 get rid of it, and focus on the inside, or 2 put some sidwalks and make it roomier, it feels and looks pretty cramped.

I agree that there should be more stuff in the office area, look at DM-Matrixed for examples of good stuff to have in offices. All in all I might widen out and the level, its very tight.

The layout is good, just need more of it. The breakable glass is great, as far as Im concerned anyone putting glass in a level should use it. Youre off to a good start, keep it up
CC

------------------
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:

http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

G

OK, so i've added some more stuff now, made the outside look a little better, fixed the scale in some places, added more detail, etc. Well, here it is, both DM-OfficeAssault and office.utx have been updated, so get em both please.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Lost

Wolfn2it

Feb 3, 2000
users.uswest.net
hey cool map dude. Only one problem whenever you pick up the robar .50 all my other weapons disappear. can you fix this? also when you get the ammo for the .50 I lose my armor? This is a problem that has occured in the past.

------------------
Kill'em all and let God separte 'em!!!

G

yeah, i've noticed that too, sometimes all my weapons other than whatever i'm holding just disappear. is that a map problem though? i don't know how i could've done something to screw that up. oh well.
Lost

farrp

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
Looks good...but don't stop now. I would still add more detail. (look at my previous post.) Also, you should widen out the street even more and make the ally's wider. It look like you only widened one of the staircases, not sure if that was intentional but both should be wider. Your almost there just add more stuff. Like a clock on the wall, some trash cans, and that kind of stuff. One more thing...after playing for like an hour 1/2, I realized how cool it would be if the whole building was bigger. Like two rows of cubicles instead of one. But this would probably take a lot of work. Are you up for the challenge??

I hope so...

BTW...I like the front door that must be opend with a grenade, nice touch.

Warren

Infiltration Project Coordinator
Nov 24, 1999
Portland, OR
www.sentrystudios.com
The weapons disappearing problem usually occurs when you have some UT ammo in the map that doesn't get replaced properly with the Inf code- so there's probably (haven't played the map) UT rifle ammo in there that's not being replaced, but registers as Robar ammo- though it doesn't change your ammo count I don't think. Not sure if there are 2 different UT Rifle ammo pickups and we only coded the replacement for 1 of them- will look into it though.

------------------
Warren
Project Coordinator
i n f i l t r a t i o n
http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration

Questions? Check out our Roadmap.
Then check out our FAQ.

G

about the robar, i went through trying to figure it out and i realized that the rifle ammo gets picked up as rifle ammo, rather than robar ammo (or maybe it gets registered as both, i don't remember and i'm not at my computer now), so i replaced the bullets with the rifle bullet box. The problem went away, but the bullet box doesn't get replaced with anything, so now there's just the gun with no extra bullets. now the stairs, they should both be widened? i didn't think the one i ignored was too tight, but i can widen it if you want. and extra stuff in the building, should i add an extra floor, widen the existing top floor, or chop out the 3 offices and make them a second row of cubicles? thanks for the help!

Lost

G

ok, updated again guys, i pretty much dropped the alleyways and got rid of the guns lying around outside. I put em in some trucks and blocked off the streets, try to make it look something like the cops blocked it off and the special forces (you) drove in to kick some ass. added some other stuff too, so tell me what you think, and what i should do with the upstairs. thanks everyone

Lost

farrp

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
Sounds very cool...can't wait to play it. I'm downloading it right now. Goody, goody, goody!

farrp

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
OK dude, it's looking good. A few things i noticed, these are just my opinion.

Before, the door could only be blown up by a grenade. I liked that. Now the computers, pop machine and door can be blown up by anything. I don't like that. Not very realistic. Love the decoration and the road blocks. The car isn't bad, but I would suggest using a prefab from somone else and then just scale it down to fit. Love the clock and the news board. Other than that, looks freakin' cool. Good job dude. I'd leave a post for CoffeyCan and see if he would review it. He's the man on reviews.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
I think it's a great start. Nice modelling, nice texturing. There's some fun value with having the second floor being able to see the street well, and most of walls are penetrable (which is nice).

Some ideas:

1* The exploding pop machines are kinda unrealistic, I agree
2* Check your bot paths a little. They seem OK, but is the stairway supposed to be an ambush point? If so, they kill themselves a lot there.
3* Small. Which, isn't bad itself, but you might consider opening up another building or something.

G

I looked at a few prefabs for the trucks, but i didn't see anything i liked much. I was going to use a couple humvees, but then I figured it would be cool to put all the guns in the trucks, so I made em myself. They could use some good textures, but I REALLY didn't want to do that, since the models themselves took so frickin long to make. And I agree with the soda machines being unrealistic, but I would think a monitor would have a bit of a shattering if shot, I mean, it is just a big glass box inside. I haven't really noticed any bot problems with the stairs, so what do you mean by an ambush point?

Lost

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Well, almost every time I played (granted this was team dm), there was a bot under the stairs where the AT4 is. It seemed trapped there, and would launch out a rocket at whoever passed. Usually killing itself.

You can tell bots good points to ambush with an ambush point, which I think is a kind of keypoint.