ONS-City layout suggestions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
Hanover_Fist said:
I tried the coronas, and they look good but I don't think that many people have coronas turned on. They're one of those fps draggin features that most people turn off right away. (I'm guessing).

What I do have in place of the 'corona' effect is alot of unlit surfaces (such as the street light covers are a separate mesh).

oh, the street lights are yellow. I thought you knew that? I did that a long time ago at your suggestion. You're just getting old and forgetting.......whaa??. :p
Well the streetlight in that screenshot just doesn't look yellow enough :p Try using hue = 30, saturation = 75. That's my favorite lighting combo right there :)

Anyway, I really think you should add coronas. 50 coronas costs about 1 FPS (I built a test map then tried both settings) on my computer, so on the average computer maybe 25 coronas in the field of view would be acceptable.

If you don't want coronas, try using some nice emitter effects... they'll make your level look more alive while adding the mood and contrast of coronas. Unfortunately they might hurt performance a bit if you just place them haphazardly and don't configure them correctly for performance.

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
I agree with Raffi. You should add coronas. For those people who don't have them checked... too bad. The people that do, enjoy a better map.

Bicycle works nicely.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Since you guys are still interested, I'll show you something with a little more substance. I worked on this mesh for the better part of my free time Sunday and tonight. I got it looking ok after screwing around with glass (couldn't get glass to work, the double sided was messed up, then read some confusing stuff about alpha textures and whatnot @INA...then gave up) so I made some rusty wire for the 'covering'. If you can't tell it's a skywalk that was mentioned by someone early on. It was fairly bland looking but I mottled up the textures with some rust and coloring.

I know what some of you are thinking, that I should'nt waste my time with this and I
should have just put some floaty-bsp-skyplanks-of-doom in place and call it quits.

No. :p

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
Hanover_Fist said:
I know what some of you are thinking, that I should'nt waste my time with this and I
should have just put some floaty-bsp-skyplanks-of-doom in place and call it quits.

No. :p
pfft not me.
edit: << post count reaches 999 :eek:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
update, I wasn't going to post this kind of stuff but WORF seems to take an interest

I've been making these textures at lunch, one a day since monday. They follow a formula of sorts but I'm pleased with the results. 80% of the textures come from digital pix i've taken of downtown St.Louis.

They're going to end up as the street level (ie: eye level) textures in the rundown section.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
W0RF said:
if you don't want to, it's no skin off my nose. Just wanted you to know you got fanbois out here who appreciate your work :D

well, I appreciate that.

It's just that this thread has been bumped a few times asking for updates, which I don't mind at all, but I may not have any real hotness to show. I just wanted to show some progress to ease those that are interested.

I'll stop updating until I get asked about it, (again) which I don't mind. :)

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
ATM there have been 7476 views of this thread, so don't think you're "just" satisfying Worf with the updates.
Keep up the good work :)

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
Same way you put your own custom loading screens into a texture file.

Just create a new texture group, and import images into it. Then you can stick those textures on your objects in the map :)

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
- take your picture.

- make sure it's a multiple of 16 in image size (128 X 128, 256 X 256, 512 X 512, or any combination thereof, UEd won't import anything else).

- Save it as a .tga or .psk

- Open the editor to your map and click the texture button.

- Import > texture > package: mylevel* > group : pergrines-stuff > you don't need a name, I just typed that in there, you can leave it alone.

thats it.

TheGimp will save as many extensions, but UEd needs it as .tga (transparencies, alpha channel...etc....the clear stuff, like neon signs.) or .psk (normal).

If you're going to use a transparency then go to the texture properties and make masked:true and usually doublesided:true also. And when you compress it (if you do) make sure you do not use DX1. It'll lose it's transparent property.

no nekky pics though, they'll crash your HD. ;)

always use "mylevel" when importing stuff, this keeps you from making separate texture/mesh folders when you distribute it. Ever notice that you only have a map file sometimes when you d/l a map? That's because they used "mylevel". It keeps things neat.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement fellas, it does help keep me going when I know people might actually play this monstrosity, even if it's just to wander around and look at my work. :tup:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Yah dude, keep it up :tup:
Was wondering where you and the map had been hibernating.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Hanover_Fist said:
Thanks for the encouragement fellas, it does help keep me going when I know people might actually play this monstrosity, even if it's just to wander around and look at my work. :tup:
Yeah, it's looking great, it's been almost 8 months in the works, and I still can't wait to try it out. It looks awesome! :tup: Maybe it'll even end up on FragBU... :D

As a side note, I haven't quit working on my map yet, which I started at roughly the same time as you started, I just haven't made any significant progress since October. Although it is starting to look like it's not gonna work out. It's too non-traditional. Or maybe that might be a good thing...