1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ONS-ApogeeBeta

Discussion in 'Play Testing' started by Jebidiah, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Jebidiah

Jebidiah slacker/mapper

Hi Guys! I'd love to hear some opinions about my new Onslaught map. Set on twin mountaintops, it will hopefully bring something new, in both visuals and gameplay, to the table! I need all the comments I can get, and a few of the issues I am wondering about are:
    -Why don't those stinkin' bots use the Hellbender more?
    -Should I include some health packs? Where?
    -Is weapon placement good?
    -Do I need to scale the whole map up or down at all?
    Thanks in advance, I hope you enjoy the map!
    -Chris

Download (only 6 mb):
    http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=8043

Screenshots:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  2. AMmayhem

AMmayhem Mayhem is everywhere

Looks really interesting. Too bad my firewall and UP don't like each other. I'll see if I can get it downloaded, but it may be a while. :(

Someone else here will likely give it run through. Anychance of getting some shots at different angles? Possibly gameplay area, unless the blimps aren't just scenery. Gah, I'll find a way to download it...

3. Jebidiah

Jebidiah slacker/mapper

Well, good luck with that download, I'm anxious to hear your "verdict..." In the meantime, here is a full overhead view of the map. Nodes are marked with stars. As you can see, it is a very linear design. The interesting aspect is the vertical difference between control points... Hehe, well, I'll let everyone see for themselves...

Attached Files:

4. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Boots of Spanish Rubber

Wow, this is certainly different.
    So basically what we have here is Onslaught amidst a flock of blimps and refueling depots (?). To answer your first question....
    That's straight from http://blitz.unrealplayground.com/tutorials/bots.html A very useful AI tute.
    I'd definantly try sticking some health packs around the outer two nodes and starving the central node of items ala Torlan.
    The weapon placement seemed alright to me when I gave it a quick run through. The only part where the scaling bugged me was at that long cave. It's really too cramped for a Goliath to get through without smashing some comrades.
    Something I did notice was that there was terrain rendered below the level. Be sure to erase that to save on the rendering on the computer's end.
    I'll play through it some more tommorow and give you some more thoughts.

5. Jebidiah

Jebidiah slacker/mapper

Ah, thanks, that should fix my Hellbender woes. I'm with you on all the suggestions, I'll get those fixed up. Looking forward to hearing gameplay comments...

6. Reciprocity

Sorry for the slow reply.

1. The first and most obvious thing I'd like to address is the ambient brightness. The combination of Zonelight and fog to give this map a sort of...retro-ish feel. I'd tone it down. It's too hazy and baje for the lighting to be anything great. There are barely any functional light actors besides the two sunlight actors in this map. Not visually impressive. What I'd do is tone down the Zonelight and the viewfog a bit and experiment with some different color usage. Some cool blues and strong reds would be a welcome change around your nods and that long cave of yours. Speaking of which, you have to do something with that cave. Hang some stalagmites or embedd some tarydium in the rock...anything. It needs to be larger and a little more asthetically pleasing to go well with the rest of the map. You could open up the top making for a sort of geological chimeny and more connectivity. (shrugs) Just throwing some ideas out.
    2. The power cores are under zero cover. If the enemy takes hold of the a node connecting to your power core, you're screwed. Period. There's little room for a comeback. That, coupled with the fact that you can snipe from the hill node and the back airship make for a pretty cut-throat victory.
    3. You can turret-snipe from the nodes at the sides of the hills. Occlude thier view with terrain.
    4. Vary the terrain texturing a bit. Some of the dirt-grass/grass-concrete transitions are not very smooth.
    5. The supports seem a little rougly connected around the upper areas. This is especially appearant when one goes for the Target Pointer.
    6. The middle node gets really spammy. I'm not sure what you could do to help that. It was just tank shell after tank shell.
    All in all, very impressive initial release. It just needs some adjustments. As is, I'd rate it around a 6.5

7. Jebidiah

Jebidiah slacker/mapper

Fantastic, I really appreciate the feedback. I'll spend some time on this thing and get it fixed up for final release! You confirmed several of my concerns, especially about those exposed cores. And now that you mention it, that lighting really did get washed out. Hmmm... well, better get started...!

8. Reciprocity

I'd be more than happy to email the map to you AM.

9. AMmayhem

AMmayhem Mayhem is everywhere

OK, a month later. I finally have the map, then remembered that I was going comment on it in the forums. So feel free to slap me for being so late, and I hope I didn't miss the final release... :hmm:

Ok, first, I like the setting. It's different, and not bad.

Second, take note of what Reciprocity mentioned, I don't have any real disagreements with his suggestions.

Third, the thing that caught my attention most, was vehicle placement. Having 2 tanks at the center node. That's a huge sway for the team that gets the center node. Maybe place one tank at the first nodes in place of the Hellbender. Though I'm not sure what exactly you'd want to place at the center node. Maybe Hellbenders there?

On with the vehicles, I'd say add a second Scorpion at the core. So it would be 1 Manta and 2 Scorpions. It'll at least leave one less person on foot.

But give cover to the core if possible, maybe some to the nodes too, but don't worry about those as much. Lighting could use some tweaking like Reciprocity said, but I'd get the gameplay down first and foremost.

10. BigBastard

BigBastard New Member

now i download this map later i write some word