Online piracy ruled legal by french court

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Err... what? You're not making any sense.

So uhh... by your logic, the gov't is sucking THE COOORPORATIONN's twidly stick, and are making unreasonable laws. When they start... making reasonable laws, you'll... stop... pirating games?

That. Makes. No. Sense. If all laws were reset and somehow... reasonable laws were instated, I'd hope for the love of god that there's something to prevent all the stuff I make and sell from becoming de facto public domain. I made that stuff for the money. I'm gonna want to continue making money.

You're not a freedom fighter. You're not a free thinker. You're talking about entertainment. Cultural and ethical values aside, if you can't have it, you're not starving, being put onto the streets, or having your so-protected rights violated. You're missing out on a game. You're just likening yourself to a romanticized image of some rebel to justify your morality. Here's what's really going on: You're downloading a pirated game that you're supposed to pay for. If you're gonna steal it, you're gonna steal it.

And oh, DVD piracy doesn't affect sales that much? I take it you're pulling **** out of your ass. It doesn't take more than a few trips to an underground store to know that DVD piracy is huge.

Hell, there's entire complexes in various (which I think shall go unnamed for now) nations that specialize in DVD and VHS piracy.

Last edited:

DesolationUSA

Forum Hobo
Jan 21, 2006
I see no reason to pay for what you can get for clean. If they can't protect it, thats their fault.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
this post brought to you by /rant software, don't copy my /rant idea!

Hadmar said:
I'd say the moment replicators exist and everyone has one society will change rather drastically anyway so one might as well leave that kind of discussion out till the time is near.

If I become a replicator what will happen when I touch myself at night?

BTW allmusic.com provides a nice little free service that lets you listen to samples of about 99% of music in it's database. You can argue that the radio plays bull**** music, but you cannot argue that it's hard to find the music you want to listen to. For free. Legally.

BTW I hear the internet has tons of gaming sites devoted to reviewing, video-taping, and reporting on the latest and greatest games. I hear you can visit these sites for free.

But oh noes, I have to watch banners overhead and click a lot of things to access free videos, music, and games/games demos/full games! I'm paying the price of minor inconveniences! Piracy is the only way to go!

I will be able to know what I'm purchasing ahead of time.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Trynant said:
If I become a replicator what will happen when I touch myself at night?
You will have hot gay sex with yourself while - with every hump - you replicate more of yourself who also replicate more and so on till your and your copys mass is so big that you form a gigantic black hole that sucks in the whole universe and cause the next big boom. I hope you are proud of yourself mister. :mad:

namu, I guess I'll put that book on my to do list. :)

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
BobCobb said:
Piracy isn't as easy as some of the computer savvy here at BuF think. Most computer-illiterate folks wouldn't know where to being trying to pirate a game, see DMX's CS thread as an example.
It's very hard to buy a pirated CD/DVD from a market stall, then?

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
DesolationUSA said:
I see no reason to pay for what you can get for clean. If they can't protect it, thats their fault.
On a different scale, but this is disturbingly similar to the "she was asking for it ... nice girls wouldn't dress like that/hang around there/etc." arguments heard in courts...

Dammit, if that guy is dumb enough to keep his wallet in a wide, open pocket... he clearly has money to spare.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
The Jackal-XMP said:
I buy what I like. That's all there is to it. If I download it and like it, I'll buy the game (for online,updates and to have a legit copy). If the CD is worth my money, and I have a few bucks laying around, I'll buy it.
:tup: even I do the same I usually buy all games pirated but when I tried F.E.A.R's demo..... man did it rock! so I was tempted to buy the retail version and now I can happily say it was 'worth' it.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
iolair said:
It's very hard to buy a pirated CD/DVD from a market stall, then?

you totally are missing the point here.

Selling pirated stuff is wrong, everyone in this thread will agree on this.
This discussion and its corresponding law is about p2p, filesharing.