Online Ping Problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Heya
I have a huge problem playing UTJB online. Before I had this problem, my humble 56k modem was pinging the UTJB Mothership averaging 350-450 perfectly fine.

When I'm not in combat, like when I'm running around and there's no one else near me, my ping is quite happy at around 300-400. However, as soon as I start shooting someone else it rockets, reaching well over 3500 sometimes, which is unplayable and lags the entire server.

Thats the general situation...

When I set UT's sole network connection setting to Modem 28.8-56k, my movement speed is appauling. Its like I'm constantly walking. All actions take at least double the time as they would normally. The speed fluctates a bit, and sometimes I start moving a little faster, but not much, before slowing down again. Everyone else moves at a much faster, normal speed.

When the network setting is ISDN, my movement speed is much more normal, although because of the ping problem described above, I cant leave it at this setting.

When its set to Cable/DSL, movement speed is quite quick, and again the ping soars.

When its set to LAN, it usually doesnt take long before UTPureRC7C kicks me for being impure.

Below are three lines from the log. The second is obviously the high ping, the third is the normal ping.

Log: Ping Ch Loss IRate ORate IBnch OBnch IPkt OPkt ILoss OLoss
Log: 2525 221 0% 3329 3322 140 60 20 60 0 0
Log: 388 216 0% 3382 4049 151 60 19 60 0 0

I dont know much about how this all works or what it stands for, but there does seem to be a large number of channels. The Netspeed of the game was 2600 too.

I really dont know what to do to get this working normally.... apart from waiting until August 4th when broadband becomes available to my area. I'd much appreciate any help anyone could give to fixing this problem.

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
oh noes!

I get almost the same problem on another game Zed :eek:
What i did find, and i think i`ve told you before, check for adware. In other words check your PC for spyware programs. I always get a feeling they target frequently used programs and run during them to hide their own processes :mad: My firewall DID find afew programs, and after i cleaned them the game went like it should. However It came back, and im still looking for updates from my firewall to find others.
Have alookie Ad-aware Free download fire wall It might be worth while checking to see if im right.
Goodluck with it! :)

Sexmachine

- retired -
Feb 5, 2002
Germany
www.planetjailbreak.com
As you have pm'ed me lately because of my PING problems, I can tell you that we (me and Angie) have solved them and I don't think that our problem is related to yours. But I am going to tell you what happened to us and how we have solved it anyways:

Angie bought a new PC back in October 2003 (still a fast machine) and I've updated my hardware two weeks ago. As a result we are both able to run UT at a very high framerate (fps) now but unfortunately this gave us a really hard time playing on the MotherShip via one DSL router at the same time. As long as only one of us played online, everything was fine but as soon as the other one joined the server aswell our pings went from an average of 40 up to 600. :(

It took me quite a while to find the answer somewhere hidden in this NetspeedTutorial. The interesting part (one I would have never ever thought about myself) is this:

Some interesting aspect with the netspeed, is that it limits your framerate. Your maximum expected framerate online with netspeed 5000 is 5000/64 = 78fps. You should not get more, you will often get less. So why /64 you ask? Well, it's kinda simple. Each time your computer does an update, it sends about 64 bytes of data. So the great doods at epic thought, let's do netspeed/64 and limit framerate that way, so the client does not exceed netspeed bytes sent pr second.

For those of you thinking:

OMG I GOTTA SET NETSPEED TO 20000 IMMEDIATELY!!"%!"#&"¤/""11111

let me just inform you that your hardware probably can't hold an even 20000/64 = 312fps average during an entire match anyway. Another bottleneck here, is your internet connection. If you got a state-of-the-art 9600 modem, it can only send and receive 9600/8 = 1200 bytes/second anyway, and what happens if you exceed that limit, is that data must wait before it can be transmitted to/from you. This causes the wellknown "ping spike". So use netspeed to make sure your connection does not get overloaded and "spiked". If the spikes last too long, you might even get packetloss, since the packets get pissed off waiting in queues and kill themselves.

So all I had to do was setting a "fixed" max. fps value in our UnrealTournament.INI files (using the Enhanced OpenGL renderer for Unreal Tournament) like e.g. this: FrameRateLimit=50

... and that solved the problem for us. :)

Last edited:

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
I dont have an adware :)
This makes sense, since UT2004 online runs perfectly fine.

I had a look at that linked webpage Sexmachine... but I'm lost as to which renderer to download. Can you link me to the specific download please. :)

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
I'm starting to sound a bit n00bish now. ;)

OK, downloaded the renderer... i select the OpenGL renderer yeah?

I've done that, but the FrameRateLimit line in the ini file isnt there. Do i have to add that, or have I done something wrong?

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
OK, I looked in that and the frame limitter was certainly working, but there was still a problem.

I need my UT Network Setting to be Modem 28.8-56K, but why am I moving so slowly? NetSpeed?

This is drawing me away from UTJB, maybe permanently, unless its fixed. :(

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
I'd rather not reinstall XP Pro. ;)

I was playing around with the NetSpeed bit of my UT.ini, and setting it to 7500, halfway between the ISDN (5000) and Cable (10000) NetSpeeds, did seem to make the game a bit more bearable. Most of the time, the ping was "normal", around 350-450.

However, it would drop to around 100 at some points, causing a massive slowdown in movements, but obviously a quicker response when firing a weapon. It also shoots up to over 3000 sometimes when heavy combat is engaged.

I think I'll just wait actually. Broadband becomes available to my area on August 4th, which is next Wednesday. :D

Just gotta get round to chosing the right package now :rolleyes:

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
ZedMaestro said:
I think I'll just wait actually. Broadband becomes available to my area on August 4th, which is next Wednesday. :D
August already?! this year has gone so fast :lol: my birthday is day after :3
Yeah, zed. Clean out your UT older and then run a check if there is any trace of UT on your Pc. Maybe something (or someone ;) ) has moved important files elsewhere...thus making the game look for the files during play.
(found my games ".ini." in my documents a while ago :con: )