1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Online Demorec

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by [C22]-SpOOky, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Or CorvusCorax as he's now known

The problem can return after swapping the weapon and firing too. :(

A while back when we first noticed this problem (but we didn't know what caused it) I played a game where the minimi would not fire until swapped away and back, then I fired, waited a while (for another target :D) and found that the gun would not fire until swapped again.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2004
  2. Beppo

Beppo Infiltration Lead-Programmer

Low interest? well... what should I tell you then eh?
    I checked out the codes more than once, checked everything that is affected by the demorec stuff within scripts and guess what... nothing found. The whole demorec shisseness is done within native codes... no chance for scripts to even get access.
    So, why does it work in 2.86 and not in 2.9 ... maybe we now replicate one variable too much to handle for this client side demo recording... nothing was changed within the replication statements of this one variable that is repsonsible for firing aso.
    So, bumping this thread here and accusing the SentryStudios coders to not bother at all is not very helpfull. Maybe think a bit before posting such things...

Do server side recordings or a client side spectator recording or live with the fact that you have to switch weapons or use only single fire mode (no auto, burst) or find a key binding that works for you or blame Canada (no pun intended for the Canadians among you)...

3. [C22]-SpOOky

[C22]-SpOOky Inf Old-Timer

server side recordings might effect server performance
    Alot of server seem to be working very hard when full of players But i dont know about this

client side spectator recording During matchs .. its not such a good idea to have a spectator coz the spectator can watch the other teams play and learne their tactics Before the spectators clan has to play against one of those teams

live with the fact that you have to switch weapons This gives the person a real handicap as it takes much longer to reaload/swapweapon/swapweapon back

Im not Attacking Sentry Studios ..Im just trying to get some more interest in this bug, Because Demorecs have played a Very large part in keeping Cheaters out of INF aswell as helping stop many acusations of cheating flying around .

Btw Like ravenwong says .. sometimes it wont fire after reloading ....swapping weapon ... shooting .. then not shooting for a short wile ..then u cant fire again even your clip is not empty

I Realy hope its Not the case that there is NO fix Possible :(

4. Beppo

What does more interest bring you ... Crowze checked it out and I did too... both haven't found anything to fix it not even anything that is causing it.

Sometimes you have to live with certain things.

spying out tactics... really that much of a concern? I thought clan matches were some sort of sport... fair stuff... nothing that would even think about spying, cheating or cheap tactics... I always thought that clans do have some honour or similar things they watch for.

5. [C22]-SpOOky

Beppo

Im not saying a clan member would do such a thing .. Just that its possible .. and could lead to acusations and bad feeling

And more interest might inspire more ideas/sugestions

More information has been gatherd due to the bump
    We now know that its only semi fire that causes this..Maybe its possible to pin point the problem .. if more interest/Information can be found abut this bug

Ok so 2 people have had a look .. But when this Bug was first found .. it was someone who dont play Inf anymore, who sugested demorec might be the Problem .. and he turned out to be right

So Maybe ..Just maybe there is someone out there who had not read this thread yet who might be able to come up with sugestions/ideas

Im very sad at the lack of concern about this issue, and at how quickly its dismissed

6. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

You know, statements like these aren't going to help you much, especially when you annoy the few people capable of helping you.

The spectator demorec is probably your best bet. If you can't find a reliable someone from a third party to record, you've got bigger problems than just demorecs.

7. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

[QUOTE='[C22]-SpOOky'
    Im very sad at the lack of concern about this issue, and at how quickly its dismissed[/QUOTE]

Excuse me, but where does your assumption that the team or Beppo doesn't care and have dismissed it come from? For all you know, both Beppo and Crowze might have spent the last 3 weeks, working day and night to fix it. For all you know, the beta team might have gotten 10-15 different possible fixes to test. The point is that you don't have all the information you need to make such an observation. For all you know, he might be working on a fix right now.

If anyone wanted 2.9 to be perfect, it was and is Beppo. In fact, we sometimes had to hold him back, telling him to take a break or stop fixing things. Don't assume that he doesn't care, because I know for a fact that he does.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2004
  8. [C22]-SpOOky

This thread was posted 18th of January and only recently someone has said that they are trying to do something about it

Also when i bumped this thread to try to get some more interest in this Bug
    in the hope somebody might have some ideas i got again a negative rewsponce
    I at no point attacked SentryStudio
    and concider that all thats been offerd is a keybind that dont work and if it did its a real handicap.
    Plus Beppo said "Sometimes you have to live with certain things."
    So its reasonable to assume this issue is forgotten about

I dont understand why demorec worked in 2.86 and now dose not work in 2.9
    yet its nothing to do with 2.9 ?

Maybe a better explination would be more constructive that just saying Who cares .. make a bind .. Why bother bumping this thread ...Blah Blah Blah :rolleyes:

I started this thread ages ago But most responces have been negative and unhelpful, Im not trying to wind anyone up ..Just trying to isolate this Bug and hope that somebody knows enough to maybe come up with an idea as to whats causing it
    Maybe i care More about this because i play online more than you, But it has felt like this bug is not cared about

PS: Almost Your First post here is to Bitch .. How constructive is that :(

Yurch .. In the name of fairness Its better to avoid having a spectator from another clan watching over a match being played .. if that person will at some point play against those clans he spectated against
    Not because i Asume they will cheat/gather-info
    But becuase it means Nobody can even suspect that. and thus everyones happy .. trying to keep Everyone happy who take part in a leauge is not the easiest of things ;)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  9. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

Edit : nevermind.

10. Harper [Jgkdo]

Harper [Jgkdo] New Member

I think I can add a possible background for this bug. As far as I can see the variale which decides whether you are allowed to shoot or not (chest position, moving prone) isn't replicated properly after starting a demorec.

To give some examples:
    After starting demorec, once your weapon goes to chest mode and the variable got replicated you can't shoot again until you force the variable to be replicated again (for example with weapon switching). The interesting thing about this is that it only seems to occur under certain circumstances.

So the variable don't get replicated in the following situations:
    - starting and stopping sprinting (that means you can fire while sprinting since the variable isn't set)
    - moving in prone position set the variable to no fire but not back to on after you stop
    - when you die you can't shoot when spawning again
    - others I am not aware of

The variable is replicated in the follwing situations:
    - firing a shot (that means you can shoot exactly once while sprinting)
    - switching weapons
    - others I am not aware of

These conditions lead to the follwing conclusions:
    - pistols are mostly unaffected (as already said earlier in this thread) except for proning
    - sniper rifles are completly broken with this bug since you can't trigger a replication because the weapon is always in chest position or aimed

Possible solution:
    - somehow fix the replications broken by demorec or add a new working replication for example when bringing the weapon to aim mode

Since I don't have the source I can't exactly tell what the name of the variable is, but Beppo should know ;)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  11. Beppo

Thanks for all these infos, Harper, but I will no longer put any time into this cause it is pointless.

to the 'rest':
    I thought I made it clear that the replication of the variable/s involved is broken. This only happens while doing a client side demorec and not during standard play. Then I said that I do not have access to the native stuff going on nor does anyone else can access the demorec stuff via script.
    This leads to: THERE IS NO WAY TO FIX THIS ! PERIOD.

Call it an engine bug or whatever...

And if you now point out AGAIN that 2.86 had not had this bug and only 2.9 has, then plz scroll up a bit... I answered it twice already I guess.

Replication in this engine is something we do not have much control of. If something doesn't work as it should one time but not the other then it can be something related to your scripts but unfortunately this time it is an engine thing.

The DemoRec stuff is some special engine internal stuff going on and nothing I can even try to control via script.
    Maybe think about this a bit:
    In UT2k3/4 the DemoRec stuff is/was broken too. Especially the newest codedrops were not working properly in this sector. This was fixed during the last couple of days I guess.
    So, even in the newest codedrops there was something that broke the DemoRec functionality. Now please consider the fact that 'old' UT'99 had a bunch of internal bugs that never got fixed. So, maybe you just discovered another one... put it on the list but do not try kicking my ass with your shi.tty remarks.

12. [C22]-SpOOky

Hi and Welcome Harper [Jgkdo]

Great First Post ..Thanks for the explaination

?? What ass kicking shi.tty remarks have been directed to you ?

Only type of shi.tty remarks ive seen have been in my direction ;)