1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

One Decade of Being Here...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Selerox, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

So, it's occurred to me, as I sit here, eating falafel, that I've been on these forums 10 years.

Ten. Damn. Years.

A third of my life. I was 20 when I join what was PuF, after playing the UT demo. What an eye opener that little adventure was. I showed up here, thoroughly clueless about everything. I'm still clueless, but only about most things.

It's made me think about what I've seen here in those 10 years.

I joined a forum just as someone suggested using |PuF as a tag to find each other in-game. A way to bring the community of the forums together more. 10 years on, it's still here. Not in UT, but take a look at the Steam group. It's the same idea.

I saw UT go gold, I played it, I loved it. I started a website, The Soundoff. It sucked, but it was mine. I fragged people from these forums, with my 400+ ping on a horrific 56K connection. Those were the days when the terms HPB and LPB meant a damn. When online gaming wasn't far off being a straight choice between Quake or Unreal. I saw UT become a classic. I scowled enviously at anyone with a ping under 100.

I saw a lot here, I saw people come, people go. I saw this place spawn clans that went on to play together for years. I even got to play as part of one.

I saw the good times, the "Golden Age" of 1999-2001, the PuF All-Star Game, the rivalry with OzUnreal, all those classic threads from back in the day that you. The creation of BeyondUnreal itself. I saw joy, I saw ingenuity, I saw everything that's good about community.

I saw the bad times. We lost a forumer (Mobace, RIP), and almost lost another (Sky). I saw, and took part in, the bitterest fights over matters of principal. I saw the bitterness of politics divide the forum (the Bush/Gore elections were prime examples). I saw the shock and sadness that gripped the forums after September 11th.

I saw Gamespy try to crush PlanetUnreal, and saw BeyondUnreal rise from the ashes. I saw UT rise and fall, and end with an uncertain future. I saw the community rise and fall with the game. It changed beyond recognition.

One thing's endured though. This place is still the same. The faces have changed, there are very few of the old people left, but the spirit's there.

Thanks for the decade people.

Thanks especially for QAPete and the PU/BU crew for keeping this place alive for so long.

2. Al

Al Reaper

:tup:

3. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

That's pretty cool! Mine will be in less than 10 months. I'm still using the same sig!:)

4. Exus Tecius

Exus Tecius like diamonds in the sky

+1
    and selerox: it not possible to quit, is it ? one comes allways back here somehow hehe :)
    @ skaarjmaster: maybe the best sig on the forum ;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  5. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Thanks for the memories!

It's been said before, the only way out is in a pine box :)

6. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

Best.Post.ever!

7. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

[​IMG]

8. m00naY

m00naY Member

9. SnaKe-Fu

SnaKe-Fu Thread Killer.

Rock on.

10. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Awesome stuff. This place is like a second home, though I started at Planet Unreal in '01. It says quite abit about ones life when they have more "friends" on a forum than they do in real life, but that doesn't bother me.
    Congrats on the 10 years man and hope to see 10 more :clap:

11. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

Can I have some of the falafel?

12. Firefly

Firefly United Kingdom is not a country.

well done, see you in another ten
    :D

13. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

14. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Yeah. Thanks to them, the donors, and people who make this place active. :tup:

15. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

:tup: Selerox is one of the good guys.

16. Ruffrider

Ruffrider Member

:tup: I miss those days. Some of the best times I've ever had gaming.

17. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

Congrats, I'm surprised I'm even still here some times, slowed down a bit since my early days.

18. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

+1

It's a pretty amazing achievement.

19. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

Been along time. 1998/1999. Over 10 years for some of us. That's insane. I'm 24.

20. Forgetful

Forgetful Here is party?

I've been a member since the beggining. I think back sometimes the the rants I had with Gamespy admins that eventually got me banned from Planet Unreal just before the move.

My join date is off because I actually lost the pass to my old account :( the old account was named "SUNRISE". I've asked admins to change it before, but I've never gotten a response.

And speaking of "old" I still have a crosshair pack I made for Unreal 99 up on the web. Its the very last pack on the page for anyone that is interested. I don't know who the guy is that runs that page, but its been up forever!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009