OK, this is why ive missed my deadline of 1 map per week....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

lucifix

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
Nov 3, 2001
A Deeper Kind Of Slumber
www.geocities.com
jesus christ, i have no idea where to start. this is the biggest pile of dung i have ever seen in mappage. first there are numerous invisible walls everywhere, fire that kills you automaticaly and gives you the "left a crater" message..............oh god just try it and tell me what went wrong.............

Mouthy

Sep 12, 2001
Visit site
I get this error when I try to load your map:

"Warning: Failed to load 'Q3A': Can't find file for package 'Q3A'"

You need to include any custom texture packages with your map. Better yet, put any custom textures in your 'mylevel' package, or eliminate any non-standard UT textures for the time being, until you're ready for a final release.

Fix that, and re-post the file and I'll have a look.

-MoUtH4WaR

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I know what you did wrong, you set yourself a deadline for making your maps, this just leads to areas of the map being rushed off. Take your time :)

Mouthy

Sep 12, 2001
Visit site
I copied a couple texture packages and re-named them and I was able to load the map. I've got a couple very basic pieces of advice that will make things a lot easier for you.

You're working off the grid. I assume you're building your brushes in multiples of 10. You need to use multiples of 16. So, instead of making a column 50 units in diameter and 250 units high, make it 64 by 256. Same goes for rooms, halls, etc. This keeps everything on the grid, everything snaps together more easily, and the textures fit better and are easier to align.

Also, quit intersecting/deintersecting stuff. Usually, doing so creates a more complex brush, which is bad for the bsp. In the center of your map, you have a column and 3 brushes on the floor which were de-intersected to wrap around the column. Next time, just add those 3 brushes into the column without de-intersecting, or alternately you could de-intersect the column, which would look exactly the same as what you have without creating more complex brushes.

The door with the trim around it is also more complex than it needs to be. I noticed you subtracted the doorway then added two somewhat complex brushes to either side for the trim. A better way to do it would be to add 1 trim brush, without the 'door hole', so it extends into both rooms, then subtract the 'door hole' right through the brush. Again, less complex brushes and, in this case, fewer visible polys, but it will look exactly the same.

Anyways, you should probably start over with this one, keeping everything on grid and as simple as possible.

I hope I'm not being too confusing. I'm not good at explaining stuff.

BTW, Bot_40 is right. a map a week is an unrealistic goal, especially for a beginner. Take your time and make something you're satisfied with before you release anything.

-MoUtH4WaR

lucifix

Nov 3, 2001
A Deeper Kind Of Slumber
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by Mouthy
I get this error when I try to load your map:

"Warning: Failed to load 'Q3A': Can't find file for package 'Q3A'"

You need to include any custom texture packages with your map. Better yet, put any custom textures in your 'mylevel' package, or eliminate any non-standard UT textures for the time being, until you're ready for a final release.

Fix that, and re-post the file and I'll have a look.

-MoUtH4WaR
that file is over the limit.......even when its zipped :(

Mouthy

Sep 12, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by lucifix
so deintersecting/intersecting is bad?

Well, no. It has it's uses, or else the buttons wouldn't be there. But you don't need to intersect/deintersect every brush before adding or subtracting it from your map, although there are tutorials out there that will tell you different. As a general rule, if intersecting or deintersecting a brush makes it more complex, it's probably a bad idea. Also remember that, in most cases, it's perfectly ok to have solids overlapping eachother or sticking through the walls of a subtracted brush. Or at least that's how I understand it.

lucifix

Nov 3, 2001
A Deeper Kind Of Slumber
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by StoneViper
don't just snap things to that grid. Try to snap all brushes to the largest practical grid setting. many times i snap to the 128 texel grid setting if it is practical to do so.
man **** is happening all over the map. like the central area was suppose to have 4 like torch fire things but i only got around to putting one in. then in that same room i put a sky zone and after that when you walked toward the "fire" you would die and get the "left a crator" message............it was ****ed from the begining........