Official UT3 Loving Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Even though there aren't a lot of maps, almost every single one of them is amazing. I especially like DM's Fearless, Heatray, Deimos and Gateway, CTF's Coret, Facing Worlds, and Searchlight, VCTF Necropolis, and WAR's Downtown, Dusk, and Torlan.

I consider 30 plus unique maps a lot of maps ... add to that the BP maps and the hundreds of user created maps (many of which are pretty good with a healthy number of them being excellent and must have downloads) and I don't understand how you can say there are not that many maps. But at least you do appreciate the levels you listed. Still I would be curious as to what other shooter you play has as many levels as UT3 (other than UT2K4 ;) ).

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
That's because the people liking the game are spending a lot more time playing it. All the haters do is troll...for the most part.

I still don't quite get it either. I don't like a game...I stop playing it...and I sure as hell don't spend the next 3 months frequenting forums and fansites of a game I dislike.

What gives. How miserable is your life that you keep fansites of **** you hate up at your PC constantly?
+10

I'm surprised how many people refer to UT2k4 as the glory days...WTF?!?!?

UT3 has such an awesome feel to it. Ok, back to playing...

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
The idea of the orb is the best thing that happened to the warfare mode. It makes the game soo much more intensive and interesting :2thumb:

Yes it's great!
After years of shooting and linking nodes, it's just fresh air that I can concentrate on the actual fight.

This idea works only because of the awesome gameplay: if it was applied to UT2004 I think it would be a mess, as people could just dodgemultijump to the node because of the nerfed guns. Think at the tank nodes in Torlan 2004 and how it's hard to kill enemies harassing the node.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Yes it's great!
After years of shooting and linking nodes, it's just fresh air that I can concentrate on the actual fight.

This idea works only because of the awesome gameplay: if it was applied to UT2004 I think it would be a mess, as people could just dodgemultijump to the node because of the nerfed guns. Think at the tank nodes in Torlan 2004 and how it's hard to kill enemies harassing the node.

Soon we will also need an "Official UT2004 Loving Thread" :p

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I have a fever, and the only prescription is moar UT.

I uninstalled UT3 on my laptop due to lack of hard drive space and the fact I had a nice, big computer that could run it better.

Now that I'm without said computer, and left my limited edition copy of the game behind as well, I went out to Gamestop, bought UT3 again, and am installing it on Mr. Laptop right now. I can't wait to try out all the content that has come out for the game that I've been missing out on.

Well played UT3, well played.

HudsonC

Jan 30, 2008
I've seen a few threads saying there is little custom content. I think that's incorrect. On the TAW and The Art of Warfare server we have over a 100 maps loaded. Plus we have got Bombing Run, Domination and Freeze tag besides the standard game types.
We just got some new people in the clan and are looking for more. Check us out at www.taw.net

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
I finally got my UT3-worthy comp up and running a few weeks ago, and I never thought I'd say this after the demo (which I played when it first came out on my old comp), but I'm definitely in the 'loving' camp.

The game is certainly rough around the edges, but at its core is the single greatest combat dynamic ever devised. Not oversimplified, not overcomplicated. Just extremely, viscerally, ridiculously fun. Every weapon is a joy to use, death is bloodily glorious, victories are adrenaline-soaked triumphs that leave you grinning for ages afterwards. UT2004 may be more the choice for the competitive scene, with its defensive gameplay offering that extra element of skill, but it can't begin to rival the new game's sheer thrill.

Also, barring Crysis which requires NASA hardware to run properly, I reckon this is the best-looking shooter around at the moment. Higher-res textures than Mass Effect, more beautiful environments than Gears of War and Bioshock. Some of these maps are just staggering.

What I don't like? Like I said, it's pretty rough around the edges, but the only significant problems for me are the vehicles (I've never really 'got' vehicles but for some reason I found them more tolerable in UT2004), minimal crosshair customisation and lack of Assault. But the crosshair issue is only problematic for me in Instagib games. Normal-weapons TDM and CTF in UT3 have been some of the best times I've ever had in an online game.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
:D :D :D :D

It took me 2 hours in-between putting the UT3 CD in my computer to the point of playing it. Installation wasn't a problem. But downloading the official bonus pack, CBP3, all the MSUC candidates, and a few 3DBuzz contenst candidates, then extracting everything from their zip files too me forever. It was worth the wait :D. Despite the game telling me I don't meet the minimum requirements to play, I'm still able to handle the game at 800x600 resolution with low details. It's quite fun!

Now just to download all the mods and characters and I'm set :eek:

*goes back to playing the 100+ maps that were installed*

end0rphine

Jun 27, 2008
This game is ****ing sick. It beats any FPS out, and it always has. The orb is dope too. Perhaps if more people say positive things about this game we can dilute all the noise from the faggot trolls consuming bandwidth with their nonsense...

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
I'll enter the loving camp too. UT3 has great gameplay, and I hope Epic will continue to support this game/franchise.