Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
[SCREENSHOT]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5798/notsurewhatiwantedwitht.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

I looked out my window and saw this and decided to take a bunch of pictures of it. It turned out kinda bad so I tried a bunch of crazy effects. I don't know.

Last edited:

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
I went mushroom hunting today with a friend and his biology major brother. It was my first time and It was a blast. Apparently I'm very good at it. We primarily hunted for Chanterelles because we can sell them for $6 a lbs. People like Chanterelles because they smell and taste good. To me they smell like rich melted butter. They have a slight buttery and peppery taste. We hit the mother load in the forest within 1 hour of searching. We filled the basket and called it a day. We considered selling them, but instead we are going to make a whole lot of soup and other things with them. I'm a little eager to go back out and do it again. It was a lot of fun.

I didn't bring my camera as I knew it would be hard to navigate the dense forest. I needed both hands. I took a few photos of our findings when we came back. We found quite a few poisonous or otherwise very toxic mushrooms but we didn't bring any of them back with us. Luckily you have to actually eat them or lick your fingers to be affected. Touching is ok. I learned quite a bit today :)

1. Here are our Chanterelle spoils. Most are very large. The small ones are more desirable but the large ones can still be used.
_MG_9144.jpg

2. Here are a few different Mushrooms. Most are Chanterelles but some are not. The two are the far right hand side are a far more hard to find White Chanterelles. I found a nice patch of them towards the end of our trip. I didn't taste them so i don't if there is any difference other than the color. I'll get to the others later.
_MG_9136.jpg

3. I found this bad boy. I'm not sure what this mushroom was called. I think he said it was of the Coral mushroom species. I know we found a few of them. He wasn't sure if it was eadable or not so I gave it to him so he could study it.
_MG_9142.jpg

4. I don't remember what this one was called but I found a patch of them. I grabbed the best looking one. I was told that they are edible.
_MG_9139.jpg

5. Another edible one. I didn't want to try it though. It looked grey in the forest but in the light it looked kind of blueish. This one wasn't in the greatest condition.
_MG_9147.jpg

All right, dude, that's it ... I am flying you to Minnesota this December! PM ME FOR DETAILS, BRAH!

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Went to the south of the country for a few days over the weekend, and headed out to the beaches on the west coast. They're probably the best beaches in Portugal, all protected with no buildings or development, so they're pretty quiet, and the ocean there is pretty wild.
It's been a long while since I had a really good session shooting on the ocean, when the light, location and sky have all come together, but Monday night was a really good evening.

There was a lot of wind coming off the ocean though, which means a lot of spray getting on the lens and grad filters. Shooting really close to the edge of the tides like this meant keeping the lens covered, setting up and composing after the retreating waves, waiting for the waves to come back and then clicling the shutter before re-covering the lens and making sure the camera didn't get too wet. Then walking up the beach, cleaning all the spray off the lens, and doing it again.

By the end of the evening, I was soaked.

I'm still working through the shots, sorting out which ones to edit for prints for the website.
The sky was really bright in parts, even a four stop grad was struggling to hold the light back, and the by product of this meant some severe darkening of the corners. I'll need to work a little more on that, and dealing with noise there on the shots I decide to keep.

guia48.jpg

guia47.jpg

dsc7770z.jpg

dsc7729k.jpg

guia5m.jpg

guia49.jpg

My camera and soaking wet tripod at the end of the evening. Spent an hour stripping the tripod down and cleaning all the sand and salt water off of it later that night. :-/

img083c.jpg

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC

My personal favorite. The sun, sky and the motion of the waves.

As beautiful as coastal photos get, I dislike the process involved in getting the shots. Sand everywhere. Sand on the lens or filter = hard to clean. An hour or two cleaning all the gear. Wind blowing over gear. Did I mention the sand? That stuff stays with you 4ever!

Israphel

Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
This shot is just absolutely awesome!

Cheers. It's interesting that you like that one. I liked the nimbus of light between the rocks, but I didn't expect anyone to like this one all that much

Israphel, I wish I lived in an area with easily-accessible grandeur that you have. :(

Depends how you define "easily accessible". I live in the centre of a dirty capital city, and these beaches are a 4 hour drive away. Europe is pretty densely populated and there's not much here that can compare with some of the wilderness and wide open spaces of North America. I don't know much about Pennsylvania, but I know a photographer who takes some amazing pictures out at Assateague Island.
It's funny, because when I look at places I dream of photographing, not many of them are in Europe. In my list of 10-trips-I-really-want-to-make-but-know-I-probably-won't are two visits to North America: Utah; Arizona and Southern California, and Washington, Montana and Alberta. I guess that these places are as far away from you though as Norway is from me. It's sometimes strange for Europeans to take in the scale of the US.

I'm sure that Israphel could go to PA and get some outstanding shots as well...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but really, you only see the good stuff here, not the 99% of stuff that I shoot that it complete crap.

As beautiful as coastal photos get, I dislike the process involved in getting the shots. Sand everywhere. Sand on the lens or filter = hard to clean. An hour or two cleaning all the gear. Wind blowing over gear. Did I mention the sand? That stuff stays with you 4ever!

Cheers Mike. Fair point, it's an annoying aspect of coastal photography. Salt water + sand = electronics and mechanical hell, and the cleaning often takes longer than the shoot itself. My 17-35mm f2.8 has a bit of a squeak in the focus ring from salt getting in there :(
There's the filters, the lenses, the camera, the tripod (which gets heavy abuse, you can see it's in the water for most of these shots), and that's not to mention the drives back from dark beaches in wet clothes, or the pre-dawn starts in the cold etc etc...

But it's really really worth it. The day I took these shots was magical, and there's that process of flow when you're not thinking, you're just doing and working the camera. The sky is glorious, it's a beautiful place, the water is rushing around your feet...it's brilliant. After I'd finished shooting here, I just sat on the deserted beach and watched the stars come out. Just feeling content, and that feeling lasted until I went to bed that night.

As for sand. Well, my next big trip is next Easter. I'm driving down across Morocco, over the Atlas to the Sahara. Three days in a tent on the edge of the desert, there's going to be a whole world of sand.
Can't wait :)

My personal favorite. They're all great, but the colour in this one is stunning.

Stunning as always, Israphel.

These two are my favourites:

Thanks a lot. They're probably my favourites too.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Israphel, I don't have any babies, but I would give them to you if I had some.

Your shots are simply stunning. It's eating Skittles with the eyes. Your composition with the exposure and color vibrancy makes your unique style. I've watched your portfolio and I'm really impressed with what you have there. Your traveling foot and experience has gotten you far.

Beautiful skyboxes

Someone's stuck in Video Game tech big freakin' time LOL.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
The gum smacks are the pulse I'll follow.

[SCREENSHOT]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/5155730802_96c140230b_b.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

There's ways of living, it's the way I'm living.

[SCREENSHOT]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1235/5155128109_8013d86849_b.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Went to my brother's place the other day and took some photos of the kids. The youngest one is still pretty much a baby, so she's not very good for photos, but the oldest one is actually pretty cute and she actually knows, to some extent, what cameras are and thus knows when to smile :)

frejafinal.jpg

Last edited:

Israphel

Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Israphel, I don't have any babies, but I would give them to you if I had some.

Your shots are simply stunning. It's eating Skittles with the eyes. Your composition with the exposure and color vibrancy makes your unique style. I've watched your portfolio and I'm really impressed with what you have there. Your traveling foot and experience has gotten you far.

Cheers matey, thanks for that :)

You can keep the babies however....I have enough with all my friends around me dropping them at the moment.

Benfica said:
Where exactly?

Praia do Castelejo, Costa Vicentina, Algarve.