Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I personally like your work as it is, das_ben. You've got your own style, why change because some generic shot photographer on the forums doesn't 'get' it. ;)

Another negative jab post from Igoy. I can point out at least 10 others in this thread alone. I really hope you grow out of this phase in your life. People change to better themselves. I hope you take that hint. If you have no interest in changing then you are doomed to make the same choices/mistakes over and over again... like all these negative posts you keep making. There is no logical basis to attack others for any reason.

Das ben is an excellent photographer and I have simply provided some constructive criticism based off of my experience. Its up to him how he wants to use it.

Igoy

dea ex machina
Jan 20, 2008
Norwich, England.
slave-riot.co.uk
Excuse me? I haven't said anything negative so far. Quote me. You're the one that often pulls peoples photos to pieces under the shade of 'constructive criticisms'. If I don't like somebody's work enough to comment on it, I don't mention anything. Just because I'm not kissing your ass over your photography, doesn't mean I'm negative.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Relax, guys and gals. Anything that helps improve is help, and anyone can use that. I know that I need it. Most of the time I'm not happy with the stuff I do either, but I suppose it's like that for pretty much anyone. The things I've uploaded so far may have their own "style" (and I use the term loosely), and I personally think they'll continue to do and look a lot like that, but at the same time, they definitely can use improvement. Changing or adapting and keeping at a certain way isn't exclusive of each other.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Excuse me? I haven't said anything negative so far. Quote me. You're the one that often pulls peoples photos to pieces under the shade of 'constructive criticisms'. If I don't like somebody's work enough to comment on it, I don't mention anything. Just because I'm not kissing your ass over your photography, doesn't mean I'm negative.

I don't want ass kissers anymore than you want people drooling over your airbrushed photos. (bad analogy if you actually want that) I want legitimate feedback. If your going to say something about someone elses work then you need to back up your statement with a reason why you feel that way. Constructive feedback means breaking it down, pointing out the faults but then helping the individual to understand what they could try or do to achieve a better result next time. Simply saying you don't like it.. doesn't do anyone any good.

Not everyone is going to agree with everyone's feedback. Its all about helping other people out and I would hardly call that a "shade".

Igoy

dea ex machina
Jan 20, 2008
Norwich, England.
slave-riot.co.uk
I understand what constructive criticism means. Stop being so patronising - which is what you are to most people here. And I'm still waiting for my examples of negativity, apart from telling you to **** off because I don't want to slut my way into getting out of debt.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Just some unsolicited feedback on your work. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt as it is only one opinion:

I have to say that most of your work confuses me. You clearly take a hands off approach to your photography which means you have a photojournalistic style to it. Little to no interactions with your subjects and you feel more comfortable taking a shot when they aren't looking. Neither of which is a bad thing. Being a former photojournalist and photo editor has taught me that every photo should offer the viewer something important and that you should ask yourself a few questions before that photo is published. Does this photo have any news significance, does it tell a story, does it help tell a story, does the photo make you feel anything, is there a clear point to having this photo shown?

That shot above is probably the strongest photo I have seen from you in a long time. The lighting, clarity, colors, lines and composition sell it. Best of all it makes me feel something. I'd like to see you do more like it.

Your 3rd photo is something I see you post a lot. The back or the side of someones head makes it difficult to know what kind of interaction the two kids are having. A few smiles or lively expressions would further clarify it. Even if they are beer drinking kids, I don't find it as shocking as it would be to see two beer drinking and drunk kids having a good time. Sometimes you have to wait for the right moment. Sometimes you have to interact with your subjects to help make that "right" moment happen.

The 2nd photo is also another composition I see you use often. I cant dock you for consistency, you certainly have a style. Subject is centered and straight on. I can see that you are going for straight lines and symmetry. Problem is that the room looks boring like that. The room could look more interesting if you took a different approach to your composition. The room looks dirty and thats a good thing. I'd like to see more ceiling and less floor, get close to it and show the texture of the surface.

Try doing some post processing! It looks like your shots are just taken right out of the camera and posted in their original size. Enhance what is interesting and simplify what isn't. Make it interesting, make it pop!!

you spend more time (****)posting about other people's pictures on the internet then you do taking pictures

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I understand what constructive criticism means. Stop being so patronising - which is what you are to most people here. And I'm still waiting for my examples of negativity, apart from telling you to **** off because I don't want to slut my way into getting out of debt.

I can assure you that I am not being patronizing. Clearly we don't see eye to eye on many subjects and thats fine. You may be perceiving my words and intentions incorrectly. It may also be true that I am doing the same to you.

I do apologize for making those recommendations in another thread. It was a lighthearted attempt at providing you with an alternative choice. Obviously you where not interested. I should have left it alone.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Since when was constructive criticism a bad thing? Also, I find it irritating when some people [nowadays] always assume that others are out to get them or another third party.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
you spend more time (****)posting about other people's pictures on the internet then you do taking pictures

haha!! Funny :)

Today is a production day. I get to catch up on weddings, headshots, portraits and client emails. I also get to edit photos all day and create online galleries. I don't post all of my work here because there is too much of it. Photography takes up enough of my time.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Another insect shot with my small camera

[screenshot]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s128/NeoNiteBuf/Insectshot_NeoNiteBuf.jpg[/screenshot]

@MÆST

[screenshot]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5516/crosscountrytostlouis81.jpg[/screenshot]

That's so beautiful and how I can relate. A couple of months ago I visited the Canadian Rockies. The entire Icefields parkway road, stood on a glacier, witnessed the beauty of numerous mountains,lonely guardians .. overseeing a vast pristine world...
And the abundance of crowds, cars.. pure silence and fresh air. Truly a part of "heaven" on earth.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Here is another shot from our day of sailing on the lake. I cropped it to look widescreen only because I felt the sheer amount of sky and water detracted from the overall image by making the subject too minimal, if that makes any sense.

[screenshot]http://www.acliffhanger.com/images/lakehouses.jpg[/screenshot]

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I don't even know where you are going with this. Just stop :p

I have no idea where he is going with this either but he does live up to his name as the #1 BU troll. Truth in advertising if I ever saw it. :)

Here is another shot from our day of sailing on the lake. I cropped it to look widescreen only because I felt the sheer amount of sky and water detracted from the overall image by making the subject too minimal, if that makes any sense.

[screenshot]http://www.acliffhanger.com/images/lakehouses.jpg[/screenshot]

Where did you go sailing? The colors are really surreal.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Where did you go sailing? The colors are really surreal.

We went to Desert Shores. It is not the typical lake, like Lake Mead. It is more of a big pond. Beautiful area, though.

The colors were already there, I just pumped them up and cleaned up the image as best I could without losing definition. I have a few more from that day I am working on.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Two photos from a recent head shot shoot. In the 4 years I've been doing this professionally, I have only had to do a reshoot twice. It usually happens when I have a client who knows what they want but doesn't tell me what that is. The truth comes out after they see the results from the shoot. Although a little annoying at first, its a good idea not to internalize it. Its the same concept as the average consumer purchasing something and then taking it back. The difference is, I want to retain their $$ and their business in the future. I am always willing to spend the extra time and energy involved in the reshoot. Its good customer service and helps out with word of mouth marketing. Giving your client exactly what they want and expect from you is key. Going above and beyond that and they will recommend you to everyone they know who is looking for a similar service. In the end she was much happier with these shots and that makes me happy.

In this case she didn't like the studio look and feel of her head shots... so we went outside and used light reflectors in the reshoot. I had two assistance that day. (assistants are fairly easy to find, completely worth it to have around, and are a lot less expensive than you might think.) 1-3 point lighting using the sun and two 42" light disks.

1. Your standard run of the mill head shot. Great for casting calls, auditions, and getting into theater schools.
_MG_0275_.jpg

2. 3/4 shot. Used to show a persons figure. Casting agents can be really picky when it comes to making a match of a person with a character. Even a persons body type comes into play.
_MG_0476_.jpg

Last edited: