1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UT3 Office Building help..

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by tjb45, Sep 28, 2008.

1. tjb45

tjb45 New Member

Hi, I’m trying to use UE3 to draw up a 3D map of a new building we are looking at building shortly. I’ve had a bit of a play around with UE3 but I’m having some issues getting office looking textures, door, windows and things like desks, computers and so on. Do you guys have any pointers for me, or is there any office/house maps I could use/modify to help the process out.

Any help would be really appreciated..

2. Lungri

Lungri New Member

Anything in the HU packages can be thrown together for somewhat modern looking cities. LT_walls has good simple architecture that you can skin with textures to combine for nice looking buildings. Little details like desks you'll have to represent with simpler geometry. For references you can look at maps in UT3..."Downtown" or "Heatray" or one of the earliest warfare maps, I forget the name.

While you can get some really good looking stuff out of the engine, the problem is all the meshes were designed to be used in the default maps in particular ways. It takes a good stylistic touch to really get more out of them, since the default uses aren't really the most creative I think. Lots of rumble strewn and sort of monotone/bland city areas...

It's totally possible to create a really great looking space that would totally work as architectural concept references with UE3 though, you just gotta get the hang of it. If you'd like any more help feel free to ask.

3. GreenFox

GreenFox New Member

Ued3 is for pulling together art made in other program, scripts made by a coder, and the Unreal Engine, to make unique environments. When making something unique like that, your expected to crate all the art in a texture program and a 3D art program. Your not suppose to (but you can) use the existing stuff like that. I'm working on a movie that uses only in game assets, but even that is hard to do with out adding any thing else.

4. Lungri

Lungri New Member

what do you mean 'not supposed to'...the vast majority isn't going to create all their stuff from scratch. You can certainly go a lot further if you can make your own meshes and textures, but it's hardly necessary with the amount of content provided. My point was just that for Epic's design process, their meshes were intended to be used in the specific ways and places epic uses them. That hardly limits you in practice when making your own levels, you just have to learn your style of putting them together.

It's like lego sets these days...you could make what's on the front of the box with a given set, or you can mix and match for something more interesting.

5. brunomartelli

brunomartelli New Member

Look at turbosquid you can get textures and models from there sometimes for free.

6. tjb45

tjb45 New Member

Thanks for the help so far.. One other thing, does anyone know a conversion from UE3 units to meters. I've been using 1m = 52.5 UE3 units but it doesn't quite look right.

Thanks again.

7. r2tincan

r2tincan New Member

1 inch ~ 1 UE3 Unit AFAIK

8. Matroskin

Matroskin New Member

for textures u can try environment-textures.com or cgtextures.com - they r free and great quality. However, like it was mentioned before u'll need to create your own specific texture from those photos and map it on a custom model :(

Go to 3dbuzz.com and check both UE3 and UE2 video tutorials. As I remember, in UE2 section there was a tutorial on basic modeling in Maya and 3ds max and how to get it into the engine.

Regarding units, I am using 48 Units ~ 1 m
    Character's max. collision boundaries should be 55 units wide and 96 (standing, equals 1.8 m) or 64 (crouching). That is how I saw in an Unreal Tech book a while ago.

9. Lungri

Lungri New Member

You still kinda gotta eyeball it though...players can still end up dwarfed by the environments, even if the environment looks good in first person, and has good ranges and angles, though the latter isn't important for an architectural model.