1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE1 - UT Odd behavior of Masks

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by warpdragon, Mar 11, 2011.

1. warpdragon

warpdragon New Member

get this:

I made a 3D Assault map of my house and the land it sits on. This was several years ago when I ran Windows XP Pro. The map contains many masked textures.
    I recently found a cd with this old map file and the textures for it and am eager to finish building the game on my new computer running Windows 7 and a mammoth of a graphics card. I have a serious problem, though. All my masked areas look black until you back away until you're about ~1000 units or so from the brush. This effect happens in-editor and in-game. I am S:( frustrated.

The Stats of the map follow:
    Geometry
    Brushes 507
    Zones 5
    BSP
    Polys 4263
    Nodes 17921
    Ratio 4.20:1
    Max Depth 38
    Avg Depth 2
    Lighting
    Lights 50 (0)

I've tried adjusting the BSP sliders, I've tried reimporting the textures, next I will try building a new texture file.

PS. I hope this isn't one of those problems caused by the dreaded windows 7 compatibility file nonsense. I HATE that. For some reason the computer puts my map file into '.../Maps' as a normal file, yet it puts my texture file into '.../Textures' as a compatibility file. This is likely to be a pain in my backside for years to come. If I had realized that Windows 7 was going to make game modding a nightmare I would have ran away screaming.

2. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

Switch graphics drivers and see if D3D/oGL clears it up. If it does you know you can narrow it down some.

You should post a small demo map with a couple of the texture embedded so we can look at it. That would help a lot.