1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nvidia control panel global settings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by SkaarjMaster, Apr 25, 2009.

1. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

OK guys, you already know the games I want to play and I have the new 24" LCD monitor. What should I set these global settings to? But first, I always have vsync off and either don't have problems or don't notice the problems, so let's work from there.:)

Anisotropic filtering >> set to Application-controlled now
    Antialiasing - Gamma correction >> set to Off now
    Antialiasing - Mode >> set to Application-controlled now
    Antialiasing - Setting >> set to Application-controlled now
    Antialiasing - Transparency >> set to Off now
    Conformant Texture Clamp >> set to Use Hardware now
    Error reporting >> (I'm leaving this Off)
    Extension limit >> (I'm leaving this Off as well)
    Force mipmaps >> Off now, but maybe I should set to bilinear or trilinear
    Maximum pre-rendered frames >> set to 3 now
    Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration >> set to Multiple Display Performance mode (but I only have one GPU and one monitor on this computer, so I'm guessing this needs to be changed to Single Display Performance Mode)
    Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization >> set to Off now
    Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias >> (I'm leaving this at Allow)
    Texture filtering - Quality >> set to Quality now
    Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization >> set to On now
    Threaded optimization >> set to Auto now
    Triple buffering >> set to On now (? any point in using this if vsync is off ?)
    Vertical sync >> (I'm setting to Forcing off)

Also, do I enable or disable PhysX acceleration? Is it really worth it right now or will it slow down my newer games?
    EDIT: found this quote at Hard forums "Well if you don't have any games that use it, it won't make any difference one way or the other. Considering you only have a dual core, I would put PhysX on the graphics card, as any games that do support it will probably be faster that way." I'm guessing this means just leave it enabled for now.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. Kaleena

Kaleena Unregistered User

-Anti-aliasing gamma correction >> set to on, it doesn't affect performances and it can only do good (basically it will improve the effects of AA with a standard gamma setting, else it will do nothing at all but won't hurt either)
    -Set multi display blabla to single (even though it only affects open-gl games)
    -I'd force the mipmaps to trilinear.
    -I'd disable negative lod bias (clamp) and force anisotropic filtering to 16
    -Set texture filtering to best quality (hardly any performance hit on modern gpus, and a slight improve on visual quality)
    -Trilinear optimization is best set to off to prevent any possible issues (the so-called performance improvement is hardly noticeable anyway)
    -Triple buffering on or off won't do anything if v-sync is off, but I'd still disable it to be sure.

I'd disable physX any day since it takes half of the gpu memory for the physX calculations and no game uses it properly anyway.

EDIT : and I strongly recommend you this http://www.nhancer.com/
    An improved control panel with more options, better explanations as well as a better profile management.

3. SkaarjMaster

I'll change the above setting to match what I actually have now.

- Yes, I read something at Tweaktown before I check back with this thread and Gamma correction in On now.
    - Multi-display... is now on Single display performance mode
    - Force mipmaps is now trilinear
    - Negative LOD bias - I'm still allowing this because one of the games I'm reinstalling has a -1 value in the ini file
    - Texture filtering-Quality is now at High quality
    - Trilinear optimization is Off now
    - Physx acceleration is now Disabled

I was going to try that nhancer, but someone at another forum said it was not worth it. I'll look into it for sure though.:)

Also, I'm going to be playing games that might run at a 4:3 aspect ratio (as you can see from the other thread), so do I need to mess with the Display-change flat panel scaling settings (set to my display's built-in scaling now) or Display-manage custom resolutions?

After setting the monitor brightness (65) and contrast (50) to what I wanted within the monitor, I noticed the Display-Adjust desktop color settings had brightness, contrast and gamma all set to 50% and I read somewhere that the gamma should be lowered, so I set the gamma to 30%. Should I make any adjustments to these settings in the Nvidia control panel? Thank you.

4. Kaleena

Kaleena Unregistered User

Yes it is, forgot to mention it.

And I don't see why anyone would say nhancer is not worth it, it solved a lot of compatibility and performance issues for me.

5. SkaarjMaster

Hehe, did I say Tweaktown, I meant Tweakguides. I'll have to go through that one more time or two.

Also, I guess if I have vsync disabled on my old computer, then I don't need to enable triple buffering in the UT.ini file. Not sure why I did this in the first place.

Any advantage to setting up a profile in Nvidia control panel or nhancer if almost everything is set to Application controlled? I'll also be working with INI and CFG files mostly and know most of the settings, so maybe I won't need any profiles.