not able to play more than one game per UT session

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sticks

Dec 19, 2000
www.unreality.org
midget i fixed mine, turns out i had a replicator virus, which norton didn't detect, and it was messing with my windows/temp folder, so that's where my maps and textures were all going, and ut couldn't find them because it was looking in the unrealtournament folder, which was empty.

i had to format to clear the virus, then i played about 5 or 6 games with bots, with no map troubles, maybe you'll have to do the same

Midgetspanker

Dec 23, 2000
Visit site
IDE controller should be fine. i just got this computer a few months ago. the motherboard is an asus K7V slot A. its definitely a quality board.

my maps/textures were all in the unrealtournament directory.

on an additional note, i just tried to do a scandisk/defrag. scandisk restarted about 7 times, but eventually finished, reporting only that my drive wasnt correctly reporting the amount of space remaining. no biggie, it was fixed. defrag, however, wouldn't get past 1% most of the time, and at most got to 10% before just quitting. it directed me back to a thorough scandisk, and that wouldn't finish either because something kept writing to the drive. at each step of the way, i had been closing programs. all that was open in the ctrl-alt-del window is "explorer" (and defrag), which i need for windows to stay running. i bet it has something to do with it.

i'm debating returning my ut, but i'm not quite sure that the program is at fault. i'll probably hold on to it for a little longer until i'm sure its a problem with the software.

Midgetspanker

Dec 23, 2000
Visit site
well now its installed correctly, old problem's back, but now i have my GUI. good thing i decided to try once more before heading out to return it, heh.

i found another thing. i have an ati rage 128 card, so i use the DirectX support for it. however, under the video tab on preferences, it lists it as <?int?D3DRender something something. so now my guess is that it isn't reading the .ini correctly, therefore not able to read the correct paths, causing our current problem here... hmm...

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
Renderer?
You'll see that gibberish when you have a driver problem.
If you set it to software rendering, it should display "software rendering" correctly ingame on the config panel.

But I've dealt w/ATI before (and that's why I'll never own another one..) and you *must* completely remove the old driver before installing a newer one. The ATI site outlines the suggested procedure. I'd advise you to try that and install the latest cleanly on top of the "standard VGA driver". That should clear up the renderer prob you're seeing and restore your D3D functionality.

Don't give up yet!

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Guys, this happened to me a month ago, sorry for posting here late. But a virus was going around. There were serveral fixes to this problem. However, some .vxd files in windows were corrupted. What I had to do was delete/uninstall UT and then reinstall windows (not a clean reinstall). The reinstall will delete and copy over the corrupted files.

Oh, one thing, you have to delete everything that was associated with UT. Registry, extra folders...etc. Seems when you do a uninstall, some UT folders will remain, delete them. After the reinstall, reinstall UT. There are some other ways to fix this problem, but this was how I did it and haven't experienced any problems since.

qwertzy

Dec 28, 2000
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem.
And I found that the onli true way to get rid of the problem is to REFORMAT my harddisk.
And after formatting my hdd TWICE, I dare not install UT anymore.

So can anyone here advice me on what next?
what's that damn virus? any cure? any fixes?

THANX.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
I don't know what that virus was. But it happened to alot of people on our IRC chat room. I didn't experience it until I hit some servers later on that night. Nothing happened after I logged off the servers, so I never thought of remembering which servers I went to. But after I shut down windows and turn it on the next day, UT started to screw up. I uninstalled UT several times, but nothing was fixed until I deleted all folders, registry entries associated with UT and reinstalled my windows. Again, after that, everything worked fine.

m1ramaxxx

Dec 28, 2000
Visit site
hey, i just fixed this problem on my computer !!!

i had this problem since december 24th.

the cause is indeed a virus and in my case the viruses' name was "HYBRIS". see information here:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/hybris.htm

the virus infects WSOCK32.DLL in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. all you need to do is replace the infected wsock file with the original one.

i did this manually, but maybe the (free) antivirus program F-PROT is able to do that for you if you dont know how to do it manually. F-PROT detects the HYBRIS virus for sure. i downloaded the latest version (3.08b) today and it was able to detect it. mcafee does NOT detect that virus so far ! i have been using mcafee antivirus before but this one didnt detect the virus, not even with the latest DAT file (4113).
you can obtain F-PROT from

http://www.f-prot-antivirus.com/

this site is in german, but you can click on "English" in the upper part and it will display in english. then you need to download the following files and extract them one after another (in this order !) into a newly created directory on your harddisk:

1. fp-308b.zip
2. fp-def.zip
3. macrdef2.zip
4. sign2.zip

you will then have to run f-prot.exe in that newly created directory and you will see an msdos window with f-prot running. scan your harddisk for the HYBRIS virus...
maybe you can first change the options so f-prot scans C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM only first, cause it will be quicker then. if you got an infected WSOCK32.DLL in that dir then you can either let f-prot try to clean it (didnt try that myself) or get the original WSOCK32.DLL from your WINDOWS CD. i will just try to explain how to do that:

1. exit windows and enter msdos mode

2. type "cd c:\windows\system" to move to the system dir

3. for the next step you need to know where the .cab files of your windows reside on your win cd. try to search the cd for .cab files and look at the directory in which a file called "precopy1.cab" is located in.

4. type "extract /a e:\win98\precopy1.cab wsock32.dll" (this assumes your cd is drive letter e: and the cab files are stored in dir e:\win98 !)

5. you will be prompted if it is ok to overwrite the old WSOCK32.DLL. you should say "yes" cause this is what we intend to do.

this is it.

in case you had an infection you should let f-prot check all your harddisk cause it is possible that HYBRIS infected other files as well (even files which reside in archives like ZIP or RAR !).
well, if you are unlucky f-prot will tell you that many files have been infected by HYBRIS. in this case you should maybe prefer to let f-prot try cleaning the mess up instead of handling it manually... i luckily had only 7 infections on my whole 60 gb harddisks, so i was quite lucky, but i had the virus for only 4 days, so i guess there are people out there with much less luck...

good luck to you all :)

c u

qwertzy

Dec 28, 2000
Visit site
Hello there m1ramaxxx

thx fer the info.
I am using Norton Antivirus 2000.
THe virus definition list a virus called Hybris.1441.
Wonder if it's the one.

The onli way for me to prove it is for u to send the virus to me in an attachment file!

If you still have the virus, can u pls send it over to me?
(sounds ridiculous......! :) )

my email add is qwertzy@singnet.com.sg
thank you again.

Neostrider[FU]

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
You guys are all geniuses...

I have been playing with this damn virus for 4 months..since like october..I had gone use to it.. LoL
Now you guys are geniuses that you have solved my problem
especially m1ramaxxx
for putting that specific info to get my UT running again.... You guys just made a addicted UT player so much happier...and I have made 15 reinstallations over a month..I was just about to commit the REFORMAT...but you saved me.. come to my clans server... Play some CTF and ASSULT WITH US http://www.THEFUCLAN.com

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

Neostrider[FU]

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Ok Im certain its the HYBRIS virus..and Im about to replace the WSOCK32.dll but when I do that on MSDOS... I put "extract/a e:\win98\precopy1.cab wsock32.dll"
BUt it say ERROR not able to open file...Hmm am i doing something wrong I know that is where the file is in the letter drive e:..someone help?

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Originally posted by Midgetspanker
some more info...

online game: it will try to download a map that i already have, then say "server refuses to send (whatever) package". whatever has been anythign from the map to a texture pack to the engine itself.

ARG!

I also had this along 4 other people I know. Until now I overinstalled Windows.

And the winsock.dll had did it. doh :eek:

Finally I know it :D

[Edited by 8-4-7-2 on January 2nd, 2001 at 09:12 AM]

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
There has been an email circulating that said something about "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves". It corrupted the winsock.dll. Also, a variation of this virus is running in normal emails. Seems it attaches itself to emails that use HTML formats to display messages. If you opened any emails using HTML formats, you may have been infected. And if you had this virus and sent out any emails using a HTML format (making fonts pretty and big), then you may have accidentally infected others.

This was one of the files corrupted on my system. Instead of extracting that particular file, I went ahead and did a soft reinstall of windows. It won't delete any of your existing files or folders, but (as you already know) it overwrites or replaces corrupted or missing files.

8472, sorry I didn't tell you this before. When you mentioned it on IRC, two days later, I received the same problem. By that time, you fixed it. So, I didn't mention it again..thinking it was an isolated problem.

qwertzy

Dec 28, 2000
Visit site
I dun remember ever opening any files that contain any virus.

So is it possible to get infected thru listing of servers in UT?

if so, how do i prevent that from happening?
coz now I'm rather paranoid of playing UT online already.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Originally posted by Prophetus][PuF][
There has been an email circulating that said something about "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves". It corrupted the winsock.dll.

If I get Swedix into my fingers I will kill him ;)
He sent me that mail! Well, I kinda asked for it :(

m1ramaxxx

Dec 28, 2000
Visit site
hi there all...

:)

hey, i'm glad my post was so much of help for you guys out there...

as far as i am concerned i got that virus by email of course. but i did not have it in the HTML code but it was an attachment which consisted and executable win32 binary. so i think hybris will only infect you when you execute that .exe file sitting in the attachment of that mail.

if you look at my first post and then click on that link for the info to the virus you can see how possible subjects are of that infected mail.
but that doesnt mean, the subject will actually be one of those listed ones. my mail didnt have one of those subjects there as far as i remember.

and of course did i get that virus from a person i knew and who usually sends me mails. that is normal, cause that is how the virus works. it sits in the wsock32.dll and scans the traffic from your computer to the internet for email-addresses and when it finds one, it maybe sends a copy of itself to that address.
so dont even trust mails which come from someone you know unless you know what kind of stuff it is...

my mistake actually was that i had executed the attachment file and i am usually careful with doing that but i had scanned the .exe with mcafee and it said it was clean. after that i recognized my UT wasnt working properly anymore. and when i read the posts in here i realized that i maybe should scan my disks with a different antivirus program which was successful in finding that darn HYBRIS thang...
so thanks to the guys who said something about a virus and so gave me that idea of scanning my computer again... :)

and for u Neostrider... well it is quite a time since you posted about your problem replacing wsock32.dll. if you still got that problem, post again please.... ;)

sorry for the people who formatted their harddisk, but i posted the stuff as soon as i had cleaned my computer... was not quickly enough for some i guess... :(

c u all...

and dont let get UT infected again ;)