1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

not able to play more than one game per UT session

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Midgetspanker, Dec 23, 2000.

1. Midgetspanker

Midgetspanker New Member

ok, here's the problem. i start up unreal, everything works fine... then i either hook up to a network game or even play a botmatch, everything still works fine. when i finish that game, or even play it for at least 5 minutes without disconnecting, i can't play another game without restarting UT. i've reinstalled, deleted mods and maps everywhere, nothing's helped. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. thanks.

-midgetspanker-
    ----------------
    www.clanulh.com!
    www.clanulh.com!
    www.clanulh.com!
    www.clanulh.com!

2. DrChud

DrChud New Member

Wild Guess

I'm not sure if this would have anything to do with it, but...

How much ram do you have?
    Is anything in your system overclocked?

3. Midgetspanker

Midgetspanker New Member

128 megs of ram, nothing overclocked... i just got this computer a few months ago, but everything else is working fine.

4. Midgetspanker

Midgetspanker New Member

some more info...

online game: it will try to download a map that i already have, then say "server refuses to send (whatever) package". whatever has been anythign from the map to a texture pack to the engine itself.

botmatch: after a game, bringing up the practice session window will end up in blank menus in some places, not listing maps or game types...

im thinking it could be that UT is attempting to look in the wrong directory for information... after 5 minutes of play, something must set it off, maybe... i dont know.

5. Taker

Taker UT Junkie

Is this a new install of the game or have you been playing for awhile and this problem just started?If it is a fresh install,there has been a problem with not all the files coping correctly on some systems.Which means uninstalling the game.Running a defrag.Reinstalling and patching with the latest patch.(436)Here is a link to the file UT436nodelta.exe.
    http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?section=670
    It has to do with copying of UT files.Read the readme for more info_Or you can try these links for more info.

http://unreal.epicgames.com/

http://www.ina-support.com/faq/ut_pc.asp

6. Midgetspanker

Midgetspanker New Member

well im downloading it now, but i dont think thats the problem... what it seems to be doing is resetting the directory from "C:/UnrealTournament" to just "C:/". this has been confirmed, because i found a "C:/Cache" directory filled with [attempted] downloads. so something within the game after five minutes of play or so resets the directory to C:/. if anyone knows how to fix it, let me know... ill be toying around all day trying to get it to work.

ill let you know if i succeed and what i did.

7. Imaginos

Imaginos Deathball addict?

Reinstall may be the answer. As for the nodelta version, that is meant for people using the non-retail copy of UT, such as the ones packaged with Creative Live! Soundcards.

Definately scrub the install first and then test it at the 400 version level (non-upgraded). If all is well, then you can upgrade it, and test again. From there, you can go thru the various addons you use and testing all the way isolate the problem.

For us though, when you're botmatching, what error do you get that you can't contine or does it simple freeze? What does your unrealtournament.log say in it?

When the server refuses to send packages, it's because they choose not to allow players to download.. Normal ops.

8. Midgetspanker

Midgetspanker New Member

well what happens is it comes up with a blank list of maps. i have found that it definitely comes from resetting the directory to C:\, because i found a C:\Cache directory filled with attempted downloads. something sets it off after five minutes or so of play... but i'm going to go and reinstall right now, again. as i said, i'll post if it works or not.

9. Sticks

Sticks New Member

i just came here to ask about the exact same thing, this just happened, and i've reinstalled about 5 times, on different drives, to no avail. i thought it might have something to do with the new bonus pack, but after reinstalling and deleting the ut dir, and not putting any addons back on, i still get the same error. does anyone know if maybe the bonus pack 4 adds something to the registry?

10. Imaginos

Bonus pack4 doesn't add anything. But a clean install causing this problem is often the result of bad CD reads of the install files. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Try copying the CD content to a temp dir and install from there. When installing update patch 436, point it to that temp dir as the source cd.

11. Sticks

Sticks New Member

yeah but i've had ut on my hard drive for almost a year, this is only happening now, and the cd is copying all the files, cuz i check the C:/Unrealtournament dir, there's the same number of files in each folder as on the CD

12. Imaginos

Not cool. Good installs going bad can be hell to t-shoot. Usually it's ini or game files getting corrupted.
    All you did was slap on the bonuspack? Manually or umod?
    Can you uninstall it? And what is the log saying is failing?

13. Midgetspanker

Midgetspanker New Member

this had been happening to me since before the bonus pack. but same thing here, i reinstalled it on different drives and everything, no difference. although what im starting to think is to just put all the files in C:\. like C:\System, C:\Maps, etc. im gonna do that right now, lets see if it works... (doubt it.)

14. Sticks

Sticks New Member

that's what i was gonna do
    a buddy of mine thinks he figured it out, i'll let you know in a bit, im going to try it out

15. Midgetspanker

Midgetspanker New Member

no such luck. i'll keep screwing around til it works tho...

16. Midgetspanker

Midgetspanker New Member

well, i had it fixed (kind of), but now i lost my gui.

what i did was go to unrealtournament.ini and change the following: anything that path that started with ../ was changed to C:/UnrealTournament/

that fixed it, the only problem was i couldnt change my skin from the one i previously had. that didnt bother me, because i dont change skins often. although losing the interface kinda angered me, but oh well... i'm going to go back to fix it again.

17. Taker

Taker UT Junkie

regarding the nodelta patch

From the readme file in the Nodelta patch
    "This is a special patch, for people who have CD reading problems when patching, OR
    have the Japanese version of UT, OR the 428 version bundled with some Creative Labs products."

The Nodelta patch is NOT just the bundled version,But rather for ANYONE having cd reading problems.:cool:

I do agree that reinstalling is the best option,,,,,,,,,

18. Midgetspanker

Midgetspanker New Member

well i went ahead and deleted everything (again) to reinstall (again), except this time the CD wouldn't recognize some maps. "couldn't find the path ../Maps/DM-KGalleon.unr.uz". so i copied the cd to a temp directory, same message (different map). i'm starting to think its a problem with my computer, so i have no idea what im going to do. oh yeah, and because it stopped installation after missing that map, i can't play ut any more. im getting pretty pissed off.

19. Taker

Taker UT Junkie

This is starting to sound more and more like your IDE controller on the MotherBoard is going bad.You've tried everything I would of tried.
    How old is your system and what,if you know,Is the manufcture of your motherboard?

20. Imaginos

Touche Taker.. or maybe not?

I was going off of this info:

Finally, we have the "no delta" version of the 436 patch. Its much larger (33 MB vs. 7.2 MB), and is intended for people having problems installing the normal patch - in particular customers with the Japanese version of UT or the 428 version bundled with certain Creative Labs products, or customers who get errors when trying to install a patch along the lines of : "The file system\botpack.u from the CD-ROM is not the expected version. Therefore, Unreal Tournament can't be patched."

That blurb from http://unreal.epicgames.com/ .. It dissuaded me from downloading the 33meg since it didn't apply to me, and so, I never saw the included readme. Could be it actually includes a full retail botpack.u to circumvent the version conflict and *if* that file was the only one giving a patcher the read problem then they might luck out and get it to work. But a read problem is usually a little more widespread than just the botpack file, as we're seeing here.
    Anyaway, I'm sure you would join me in welcoming a single easy "no bravo-sierra" version for future patches that work everywhere. Course it would only work assuming a healthy virus-free windows and i/o subsystem (ide bus/via busmaster/udma issues all clear).