1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

not a headhunting post

Discussion in 'General' started by strangelet, Feb 26, 2006.

1. strangelet

strangelet New Member

lo guys. i'm in this game dev team and we need some UT help. I certainly dont wanna bother the hard working UnWheel team members (unless they really wanna join in) but i know this mod is popular with many of you under-the-bonnet types, and specifically those interested in vechicles, and i'm sure the UW team won't mind me plugging my stuff :)

[​IMG]

our position is this - Angels Fall First is a huge fictional universe which we at ZeroPoint studios have been populating with game assets for the last 2 years. we're in the process of writing our own bespoke game engine, codename Cobalt (render engine is pretty much finished for dx9, now our coder is working on the dx10 version - i kid you not. main gameplay engine is due for alpha in late summer/autumn).

the ultimate point of the enterprise is to create a universal scifi warfare sim which takes one from strategic fleet RTS right through to single unit FPS, although we admit this is a tall order and we don't expect to get the whole shebang going for a few years.

so we're using our created assets in various other games via mods (homeworld 2 and Nexus so far for the fleet combat), to showcase them, to play with them and to generally iron em out. to this end, we're beggining our FPS venture with modding for the UT series - UT2k4 and UT2007.

features of this FPS aspect to our universe (the FPS side is referred to as PlanetStorm and has its own lead dev) will ideally include powered armour, mechs, tracked vehicles, hover vehicles, standard vehicle types, player classes and a waypoint command system.
    we appreciate that this kind of nebulous wishlist isnt a great advert for our mod, and that's why we need some help. our immediate goal is to produce a tech/art demo map in order to attract the big talents we need.

if you have good knowledge of scripting and/or mapping (specifically the concept of doing mechs in UT as vehicles) and would like to be a part of a project with solid foundations and a committed team then mosey on over to Angels Fall First Universe and check us all out.

http://www.dendezyn.net/affv4/ - old site, all the documents and explainations, lots of media

http://affu.dendezyn.net/ - new semi-finished site with all the new art on it.

2. Diego1203

Diego1203 Member

So this is what you've been up to? It sounds bad-ass, and RTS/FPS hybrid could realy kick ass if done right. But it sounds like a huge undertaking, I really hope you guys aren't biting off more than you can chew. Do you guys have industry experience or mod experience or what? I wish you luck, I'll be keeping an eye out for this.

3. $n][pErMan

$n][pErMan UnWheel Server Guru!

sounds sweet :D

4. ProjectX

ProjectX Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps

good luck mate!

5. strangelet

strangelet New Member

cheers. well we all have mod experience of years and years - never tried putting it all together and making a game, and youre right we just might have bitten off more than we can chew. but hell. someone's gotta do it.

6. $n][pErMan

Ya .. but IF you can pull it off... it would be one hell of a game if implemented in a fun and pratical way :D

7. strangelet

strangelet New Member

indeed. i'm convinced it can be done. all the technology exists already to implement it in a no-frills kinda way and there are many freeware universe sims that do a great job on one or two aspects of the thing - but it needs to all be put together.

despite wanting as much realism (or the appearence of realism) as possible, we still want the actionfest aspect to be strong. current theories run that we have multiple play styles available running side by side - one guy can RTS-command a force, and other players can take control of individual groups and units.

getting around the fact that people are dumb, impatient and selfish when playing online will be rather harder. we think some kind of merit rating could control your available options - start out as a grunt, only able to pick the basic troop type/ship type, and the more points you get, the more and better roles you can play, all the way up to grand admiral where you decide the destiny of your entire faction.

of course nobody wants to simply be a desk commander, so we thought of an avatar system, whereby you earn a portfolio of playable identities and are able to choose which you play at any given battle.

so scalability is the order of the day. you want a quick bang? report as a private in a front line unit. you want a deep game? be a fleet captain or commander and lay out battleplans for others to follow.

8. $n][pErMan

This will be the hard part. Many people like myself or others maybe get a hour or so a gaming in a day (if not ussually less). What will happen is some 12yr old punk who has no life will rack up a ton of point but would not be able to lead. Not to mention you could have things like "stat padding" as can be seen in BF2. This is not an issue for me... I dont care about that crap... but if its controlling functions of a game it would surely need a very refined and almost pad proof system.

9. stevenhorton

stevenhorton Not of this World

10. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

Looks cool, I'm a rather keen EVE-Online player (yes, more time wasted not spent on UW :p), so this has got my interest :).

11. strangelet

strangelet New Member

hey guys. i'm having an argument that maybe you can settle....

am i wrong here?

stranj​​16:11​
    the thing is, i reckon i know a way to get fleet combat workin in UT​complete with ship interiors​
    but​vehicles are complicated​and i need to read alot​

Alex​​16:12​
    ooooh yeah​

stranj​​16:12​
    and basically learn more c++ :)
    im convinced it will work​
    remote control "ships" in a big "space" room, outside "space' there are multiple closed off mini maps of ship interiors.​players live in those, controlling the movement and weapons of the remote "ships", and see projected images from cameras in the "ships"

Alex​​16:13
    huh... perhaps​

stranj​16:14​
    all over the minimaps there are "breach points" , dummy walls that have portals behind them. when a ship is boarded, the portal is assigned from that ship to the other, and the breach point "explodes" revealing the boarding ramp​
    the only thing i really have no idea about is assigning portals in realtime.​
    but could always fudge something out of the transporter effect​
    all the rest, i know can be done​and with the players never entering the "space" room, we can scale things down to get as much room as we need​
    we can have a thousand mile playable area​

Alex​​16:16​
    peeeerhaps​

stranj​​16:17​
    i refuse to believe with the hackability of the UEngine that it cant be done,im just gonna have to prove it

12. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

Sounds quite simple actually. UT can handle all of that without problems.

Damn awesome idea with the mini-maps for players and 'space' room with cameras projecting onto screens.

I'm not sure the number of players you're planning on having playing at any one time, but it may be a better idea to actually create another even more gigantic room, and spawn each player's 'ship' interrior as a StaticMesh (also lets you finely detail them in 3DS or Maya) on demand in the giant room. Creating them all out of BSP means you'd need to create a safe number of little maps all over the place, to ensure you have enough ships for the players.

Also, spawning the ship interriors dynamically allows you to easily let the player spawn inside a specific type of ship, without having to create another actual BPS map of every ship type.

Aaaanyway, that's all 100% possible and not really all that difficult to impliment in a fairly short time-span. The difficult part of course is the controlling of units and stuff, but I'll leave that to you to work out :p.

13. strangelet

strangelet New Member

btw do you guys play regularly? cos i can never find anyone on the UW servers

14. strangelet

strangelet New Member

oop sorry steve - no thats a render. but theres nothing in it really that couldnt be ported. its all alpha tex and miscellaneous fakery.

the ships are always game models.