UE1 - UT noob with brush issues

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

0skillz

Feb 15, 2008
I'm trying to make a curved bench. No matter how I build it (2D shape extruded or built out of essentially 2x4x48 brushes) I get these problems in the backside of the bench with textures falling out and creating BSP holes/problems in a map.
In the 3D view you can see the texture that won't align with the rest of them on the face of the bench. I've come to the conclusion that this is being caused by a double line effect I'm getting in this area which you should be able to see in the 2D side view to the right of the 3D view. I've tried the vertex editing thinking maybe I could get rid of the double line that way but the vertices always snap to a point way off of where I think I want them even if I turn off the snapping functions at the bottom of the unrealed window.

I think I just need to give up on this bench shape and just make something more square which essentially kills the whole reason I decided I want to make a map in the first place... unless someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Your not supposed to really do real complex objects like that using bsp. If you want to a make a bench you need to use a 3d modeling program such as 3ds max or maya. Complex bsp in Unreal has always been an issue

0skillz

Feb 15, 2008
From my notes, real life dimensions of the metal frame are 17"h x 9"d x 42"w.
My first build translated that into 23h x 12d x 56w in unreal units to get appx real-life scale.
2nd build and pics in post are 92h x 48d x 224w uu.

In my 2nd build/version of this I scaled everything up by 4 hoping that that maybe I was just working too small the first time. The whole monstrosity is about 256uu high (to the top of the bench back), 256uu across the bench and under 384uu across from one bench back to the other.

I had already been talking to a guy in teamspeak who has made a lot of maps for 99 and he kinda became obsessed with my benches and he made something that seems to work and sent the map he made with them in it to me tonight. He used the 2D shape editor and the bench part has 7 flat surfaces or slats - I have 13 in the pics here.

My idea for this map is to recreate the roller skating rink I went to in the 80's and they had booths like these in the dining area. I don't care if it's a good map I just want it to be as accurate as I think it can be. http://plymold.com/products/categor...s&catkey=D34D0CE6-E10D-4B47-96FC-90625D206A78 - that company has benches/booths that are pretty much exactly what I remember and googling can turn up more info on the dimensions and all that if you want to be really anal about it... but I'm learning the hard way that this version of the editor won't let me be as anal as I'd like lol. Thanks for the input :)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
You can always convert that brush from t3dToMesh, that's what I do with my complex brushes that seem to cause BSP problems is convert them into a brush. Fordy I think was the one with the converter? I can't recall.