UE1 - UT Noob Question, High Res Textures

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
So, erm, finally downloaded the S3TC textures after returning to the community.

The readme says not to install them on the UT that I map with though since it will render the maps unplayable by most people. So my question is, do I really need two installs of the game? Or should I just assume people have these textures nowadays and not worry about it?

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
You don't need two installs of UT just two versions of the \Textures folder, and when you map just switch out the \Textures folder for the old one. But, why use the UT textures when you map anyway? The UT textures are awful, there are so many better textures out there if you just look online you can find thousands of awesome high-res textures that will make your maps look way better, in fact just google image search for the word "texture" and set the image size to 512x512 and you'll find more than you need. Don't use the UT textures.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Never use S3TC textures for mapping, having 2 separate UT installs side by side is the safest way. S3TC textures are purely client-side.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Thanks. Now another question, as I'm still a noob at using anything but the stock UT textures for mapping (aside from a small experiment here and there). What is the process, or the best way, to incorporate a texture such as THIS into a map? Just resize it and import it into mylevel package?

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Thanks. Now another question, as I'm still a noob at using anything but the stock UT textures for mapping (aside from a small experiment here and there). What is the process, or the best way, to incorporate a texture such as THIS into a map? Just resize it and import it into mylevel package?

It needs to be resized, I would just chop off the ends so that it's 428 x 428, then resize it to 512 x 512.

After that you need to downgrade the colors to 256 colors and save it as a .pcx (zsoft paintbrush) format. When you import it, make sure "generate mipmaps" is checked.

That texture doesn't look like it will tile very easily though. If you tile it it will have seems, and if you use a "seemless tiling" feature in your image editor, it will make it seemlessly tile but it will also look funny. I would just find another texture if you want one that tiles.

All of these I just found in google image search in just a few seconds and they all seemlessly tile:
http://bcchang.com/immersive_blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fieldstone-c.jpg
http://www.owoho.com/temp/demo3.jpg
http://www.virtuosicstudios.com/2D/Stone_Floor_D2.jpg
http://www.sharecg.com/images/medium/4922.jpg

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Just so you can see, this is what it looks like with the "seamless tiling" feature in paint shop:

image1m.gif

There are those ghostly imprints that you can't get rid of, it's usable but personally I would find an already tiled texture...

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I recommend using floor textures from a package that you have an S3TC version for. If you import that into your map it won't have and S3TC version and will look too different from the rest when you play the map.

Also, you cant map using S3TC textures because it causes glitches to clients using other S3TC versions from what I've heard. I personally don't use those and never will since it takes out the flavor of the real UT experience plus detailed textures makes me wanna puke. Anyways, a solution would be to have another folder with the default textures and just rename the folders whenever you're gonna map.

It won't hurt having 2 folders with each having its own type as long as the game doesnt load both of them. Make sure not to have a path for both folders in the ini file, just one should be loaded by the engines.