1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

No LavaGiant2 in UT2004

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by RaptoR, Mar 16, 2004.

1. RaptoR

RaptoR been here far too long

A few eagle-eyed fans spotted this in one of the UT2004 retail screenshots, however it's now been confirmed by Epic designer 'Hanzz' in this Atari forums thread -- UT2004 shipped without Digital Extremes Bonus Pack map CTF-DE-LavaGiant2 due to BSP issues (damn you, UnrealEd Goblin!!).

2. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

oh no, a crappy map I never liked. :p

If they're bringing back Face and Deck, they should have brought back Lavagiant from UT anyway. LG2 can stay gone as far as I'm concerned.

3. RaptoR

RaptoR been here far too long

If nothing else, Nem, you have to admit that LG2 looked cool :).

4. Nemephosis

Yes. Yes I do. I did like the little stalks of something that had fire coming out of them. Nice touch. However it just didn't...... I dunno, it didn't seem worthy of the name Lavagiant and didn't hold a candle to the original. I'd have rather if they bring back Face and Deck, that they bring back classic Lavagiant. That would make 2K4 complete for me. :)

5. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Make it happen Epic!

Not that bothered tbh, very few people played it (and even fewer people liked it).

Lets just hope it's not just the maplist that's stripped of bugs...

6. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

In my book, Magma was Lava Giant 2. The only real difference is that the superweapon is harder to reach (without trans, natch). Sure, it didn't run too great on a lot of peoples' systems, but as a big fan of the original LG, I loved it. Not too keen on the actual LG2 though, other than the prettyness.

7. Nemephosis

Magma was a Lavagiant wannabe. Nothing will ever be the greatness the UT Lavagiant was. With Face, Deck and Lavagiant all in that game I can easily see why people would keep playing it over 2K3.

8. someguy_99

someguy_99 New Member

The original was better, yes, but come on. It's Lavagiant! They should have taken a few more days to repair the errors. Mind you there was a big graphical glitch in the skybox for me... Don't think I ever did find out how to fix that :hmm:

9. LivingPuppet

LivingPuppet Registered Puppet

I think that problem only happens on graphics cards without shaders like the geforce4 mx.

10. J.P.Eekels

J.P.Eekels New Member

Hey guys,

I am sorry that some of you did not like LG2. The thing I would like to know is what you did not like about it. Is it purely related to the map or is it a combination of player movement and the map?

I am also sorry to say that currently I don't have the time to fix her up and change some of the sticky points about it. I am knee deep in our next project.

About it not being included, a last minute check up revealed an area where you get splattered due to a BSP space-time anomaly. I did not even know about it until I saw it posted on the place where you can be sure of honest, all loving and esoteric messages: the forums. ;)

In the meantime, have fun with UT2004. I am glad UT2003 has been taken to its needed next step. I am also glad that Bombing Run has had some attention and can be played the way it was meant to be played with your team.

J.P.Eekels
    DigitalExtremes

11. J.P.Eekels

J.P.Eekels New Member

And I forgot I already had a sig hehehehe :D

-P

12. Nemephosis

Hi :)

Well, the lighting was very dark. Hard to see much of anything. The layout itself just didn't seem to flow right and the industrial look in the cave.... yikes. It looked more like a factory than a hillside. It just didn't feel like a Lavagiant. I think you did LG1 right? What I'm sure would make lots of poeple happy is if you converted LG1 from UT over to UT2K4 for the inevitable bonus pack you know epic will likely put out. That or allow someone else to :)

Thanks

13. TossMonkey

TossMonkey brown bread?

The map was fine, it had a graphical glitch on Graphics cards with fewer shader passes so the aurora effect was displayed incorrectly (Geforce MX cards and the radeon 7000 series are the main offenders). Personally I liked the map, even with the glitches, but you know what? I think the map could be created into a killer Onslaught map. Just widen some of the paths a little and the doorways.

Hope this helps. :)

14. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Not great, but not bad either.

LG2 was ok, but it certainly wasn't the most inspiring map in the game. It felt too "big". I know LG1 was a big map, but you could be assured of something happening out there, with LG2 it seems very empty. One thing that really bugged me about the map was that the top ridge turned into a sniper-hell with bases getting pinned down by a sniper who had instant access to the 100 armour. Also, it had far too many places to hide, so it took ages to find a flag carrier :)

LG2 certainly wasn't a bad map, it just wasn't very inspiring.