1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Night Vision Goggles "mod"

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by Psychomorph, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

The NVG's use a texture overlay and Psytex modded it. I used a 16:10 monitor when I made the textures. I have a 16:9 monitor now and ironically mostly run INF in 4:3. That means that the NVG overlay never looks right and changing the texture in the NVG file will give you a version mismatch.

So is there a way to apply another overlay somehow without mismatches? Perhaps it is possible to make a new version of the NVG's that contain 3 overlays for each aspect ratio type (if someones runs ultra wide screen, I could make more overlays in respective ratios), where you'd just specify in the .ini which one you want to run?

Hows the feasibility of that? Would be cool to have this fixed.

2. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

This is why you never force a size to your textures or you create them in such a way that the can scale a bit without losing their visual appearance.

3. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

To give a better idea what I mean if you're not familiar with INF's/Psytex NVG overlay. It is meant to be a perfect circle, which it is in the aspect ratio that it was developed with. So the overlay stretches based on what aspect ratio you run, but it doesn't look right.

The solution would be if the NVG mutator had not only one, but several overlays, that would match the known aspect ratios, so you still could use the wrong one and it would still stretch as it does now and look off, or you could select one that suits your aspect ratio and be happy. You could specify which overlay to use in the .ini, or console.

Here is an example of how the NVG overlay looks with the 3 aspect ratios. 16:10 has a perfect circle as it is meant to be. I could only do the proper overlay files, but not get them into the game. I can compile them to a mutator, but would get a version mismatch online.

[​IMG]

I agree though, I hate it to play an older game and have the, say, sniper scope not matching the aspect ratio, if it has a black overlay around the scope, but some overlays, for instance the one I used for the NVG overlay, is not pure black on the outside, it has a slight fading transparency at the lower screen corners (to simulate that the NVG is worn in front of the eyes and not wrapped around the face like goggles) as seen here, so the only solution to this would be an actual overlay that is made for the aspect ratio, if the NVG scope is desired to remain a perfect circle.

I could, of course, change the overlay to be solid black on the outsides, if there's a way to use only one texture and make it look unstretched with any aspect ratio, with black bars on the outsides. I doubt that would be possible in INF/UT though.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  4. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

I use a scuba mask overlay in my coop server that comes up if your head goes under water and it suffers from the same problem you have. The black bars effect you are describing was done in the original MonsterHunt mod if you lost all your lives. You could grab that effect from there if it suited what you are wanting. However setting a custom overlay via client config is certainly doable.

5. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Do I need programing for it, or is there a trick for those unable to?

6. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

Yeah, it's definitely going to need to be scripted. Could get involved too depending on from where the HUD is called. Some mods/games will allow external HUD's and some need their own native one.

7. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

I wonder if it would be possible to have something like an override? If you use the NVG's, use the "nvvignet_g" picture from the override mutator. Or stuff.

8. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

HUD is somewhat protected since you have a vested interest in preventing things from being drawn on the screen by the client (Radar, wallhack, etc). It can be done but it needs to be allowed by the server.