Night sights for the weapons->>> SHAKKEN, INF TEAM, README.NOW

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
The problem with Tritium is that is is a key component of highly effective nuclear weapons. However, one would need to scrape hundreds of watches or night sights to gather enough tritium.

The US has a threshold, which I can't find offand, for the amount of tritium in commercial products. IIRC, Trijicon's (the preferred brand) Tritium sights contain less than 20 micro-grams of tritium gas.

I think Germany bans the import, export, sale, etc. of tritium, but I'm not sure.

There are also other ways to make sights glow. However, the fact is that US Army M9's have tritium, and I can mail order tritium sights for almost any one of a hundred models of handguns, and HK, Colt, Sig, UZI Galil, AKs, to name a few. I know the AK-74 has a night-sight kit which is issued to soldiers.

The fact is, they are cheap (100-200 USD), found on many handguns as they come from the factory, and work well. I would like to hear the INF team's direct comments on them.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Governement purchases are usually exempt from such sales/R&D/production restrictions anyhow. Is there a version of e.g. the SG551 *without* night-sights?

It just adds more code and animations, at least for those ARs that can activate and deactivate them, that's the problem...

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Being a redioactive material, tritium is illegal in many countries over the world. Where I live being one of them.

IIRC, Beretta model 92s are not issued with tritium inserts. The standard dots have no illumination whatsoever.

Technically, there is a method in which to get these sights to work, however implementing it would be more trouble than it's worth.

shakinfil.jpg

Scythe

I'd rather die than give you control.
Jan 13, 2001
about 30ft behind you.
Visit site
I know this sounds stupid but.......

If you are so worried about tritium or whatever whynot call it phosphorescent paint which for all I know isn't radioactive and It would still be affective . another way around night sights is a pair of night vision goggles ( I know they would be hard to implement but mor night maps would be made it they were an option. :D

Mess With the best, Die like the REST!

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Phospherant paint doesn't last long. And nobody uses that material to make weapon sights. NVGs are planned, but they will make using the sights on most weapons impossible without mounting an infra red laser attachment.

Some weapons will have IR scopes.

shakinfil.jpg

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Just out of personal interest, ShakKen, what country is that? Is it illegal for the military, too? No phosphorescent night-sights on all your military's weapons then? :confused:

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Malaysia. Total import ban on commercial radioactive materials. None of the military issue weapons here use tritium sights.

Germany has similar laws I believe.

shakinfil.jpg

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Thanks, I didn't know that. Not entirely shure about Germany though, at least for military use...

We shall attack at dusk then, Commander, hehehehe :D

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
Hehe, the only radioactive materials we have here are in 2 places: a dinky 30 yead old 'experimental reactor' which uses wooden blocks as regulators and in my toilet bowl :p .

It's a wise person who knows the difference between free speech and cheap talk.

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
Interesting this stuff about radio stuff. But there is a way: I´ve just seen in DiscovetyChannel a documentary called "War in the 2000". There, military - war... - used a different method of sighting targets. They used a system like the AH64D Longbow uses: target painting. It´s a IR goggle that "sees" the normal IR frequency and also a special frequency that a laser mounted on the weapon - a M4A1 was the example - and so the target gets a big - yes, big - bright spot that shows obviously where are you pointing the gun. Just about lasers: they use radioactive stuff too, or did u all thought the "R" in LASER was just for fun??? ehehheeh

I´m gonna kick your lilly ass, freak!!!

Liquid Night

Argumentative type.
May 18, 2000
Dublin
Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Electromagnetic radiation in the form of visible light. Not 'scary' radiation that will melt your balls off or anything.

"Consistency is the last resort of the unimaginative" - Wilde.

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Don't be stupid. I said 'Radioactive materials'.

I didn't go so far as to say we don't have television and microwave ovens.

Electronic radiation transmissions is an entirely differant thing toghether. *Duh*. And don't get me started with lasers, I built my first when I was 9.

shakinfil.jpg

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
Not my books... Well, I´ll search in the Phisics labs in my University... Or talk to my teacher...
Or Shakken could send us some adresses.

And about the system I decribed? C´mon, say something, gente!

I´m gonna kick your lilly ass, freak!!!

Eddybaby

Groovy
Oct 26, 2000
Err... aren't we talking about a game, I know INF is supposed to be as realistic as possible and I respect that but surely you aren't going to become impotent by using a little tritium on a virtual gun???

:p ::.:.::Remember Kids, Play Fair!!::.:.:: :p

[This message was edited by Eddy on Feb 08, 2001 at 15:23.]

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
That system u discriped!...it sounds like the Landwarrior system, its first due to be operational in..2006 i think..if not later, and it has my full whole hearted disrespect every step of the way.

Shakk...i also feel that making glowing sights is a waste of time at this stage in INF's delelopment, but i wouldent mind seeing white paint .:hint:.:hint:. ;)

Gfsigil.jpg

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" color="white"size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt;width:100%;height:40pt;text-align:left;filter:wave(freq=2,strength=5,phase=3,lightstrength=20)color="black"><span on_mouseover="this.style.color='white'"onMouseout="this.style.color='white'">Fighting the fucking censorship!</span></font>

Ibrox

fear my Jedi blunts
Dec 11, 2000
i worked with lasers for a quite a few years, a 5Kw co2 is pretty spectacular cutting through an inch of steel like it wasnt there.BTW that sams laser faq doesnt seem to contain any info on Nd:Yag or Excimer lasers. Hmm not really related to guns tho i spose.